How important is experience (traveling, meeting people, suffering, loving...

how important is experience (traveling, meeting people, suffering, loving, hating) when it comes to creating good literature?

What you learn from those things is more important.

You'll write all of your novels out of experience, observation and/or imagination

>traveling
no
>meeting people
yes
>suffering
yes
>loving
no
>hating
no

Home probably never left his village

Of very little importance. Emily Dickinson never left her house and wrote some of the best poetry ever

It's sad how few people on Veeky Forums have actually lived. I mean really lived. There are so many aspiring writers here who haven't even left their own country, or have only left it to holiday with family in their youth. There are people here who have not experienced a series of tumultuous relationships, people who have not hitchhiked for hundreds of miles in whatever direction suits them best that moment, people who have not found themselves drinking hard liquor with a gang of strangers at 2am in a city they can't even remember the name of. Me? I've done all these things. I've traveled the lonesome highways, caught trains and buses and sat shivering and damp in the passenger seats of cars belonging to people who told me more about life than the lonely and callow narcissists on this board ever have. I've gazed lovingly into the eyes of women who taught me the ineffable secrets of their mysterious sex. I've worked more jobs I can remember and learned more skills than I will ever need. I have made friends and enemies from coast to coast and experienced more emotional peaks and valleys than most people here can even comprehend. How can you guys even call yourselves writers when you haven't even mastered the world about which you are intending to write? When I write a profound sentence I do it knowing I will be understood and admired not only by the academic whiling away a quiet afternoon in his armchair, but also for the orphaned young man working sixty hours a week as a knuckle-puller in a Sheboygan abattoir. And all this at the age of nineteen, my literary life almost entirely ahead of me, several USBs hanging from my keychain full of stories that would no-doubt make the pale and sheltered suburbanites that browse this board gasp in incredulity. Next month I move to New York to begin a degree in English Literature, focusing on creative writing. The professor phoned me as soon as he had read my application to ask that I choose his university (it's one of the best in the country, why wouldn't I?) with the promise that he will personally guide me over the next three years, or however long it's going to take for me to get my first book out there.

It's importance is inversely related to the writer's creativity.

This was really touching and inspiring, thank you user. I'll look out for your book. Whatever story you decide to craft, it will surely be a masterpiece

>will personally guide me
Hope you like the taste of his dick

Pls just don't write a novel about a middle aged professor who fucks his students.

Pet peeve about John Gardner. There's a bigger world than the college campus.

you mean john williams?

Yet you haven't dropped your ego. q

Autistic shut-ins don't write good literature if that's what you're wondering.

>who is Arno Schmidt, Poe, Dickinson, Pynchon, Salinger, Proust

Who are:

>Pamuk
>Salinger
>Knausgaard
>Carver
>McCarthy
>Dick
>Dickinson
>DeLillo
>Proust
>Borges

I'd say she's among the few exceptions that confirm the rule.

You're worse than he is. Read Kerouc and get this juvenile garbage out of your system

So wait, you're saying you did all that but in the meantime didn't even learn how to write?

I mean, it shows, but damn.

>implying they were as autistic as (You)

next time ask before using my pasta

Irrelevant.

Literally me

>read edgy teenager: the book and get this juvenile garbage out of your system
Kek. No need to be this butthurt at a pasta. Save some money and go experience the world beyond your village, autismo.

Seems arbitrary

I thought Poe was quite well-travelled. Pynchon and Salinger just stay out of the public eye.

Not sure where you get the idea the Dick or McCarthy are autistic shut-ins.

>Shut-ins can't write

Giacomo Leopardi says hello

Very. But I bet someone REALLY intelligent and knowledgable could manage to skip it, specially now in times of internet. Since it's beyond unlikely that such a person would even browse this shithole, yeah, people without experiences are fucked.

Can we get the pasta without white middle class taint?
Also slightly more modern, who the fuck still stores data on usb drives?

imo these are the best traits, the most important trait is one you didn't mention, struggle. the reason you find that there are a lot of bad books nowadays that are cheesy or written in poor prose is that the writers haven't struggled enough.

good literature is borne out of struggle. whether it be conflict, war, fights, whatever...
conflict builds the writer's character, reinforces it....

>Leopardi began his studies under the tutelage of two priests
Clearly not a total sperg, they probably had some action too.
>his illness, probably Pott's disease or ankylosing spondylitis, denied him youth's simplest pleasures
Sounds like a lovely dose of suffering, probably made him hate himself and/or the world.
>he attempted to escape in 1818, but he was caught by his father and brought home
More struggle and conflict.
>he was briefly able to stay in Rome with his uncle
>He moved during this period between Milan, Bologna, Florence and Pisa.
That's some serious traveling.

And he very likely was a faggot, so that's a check for love too. Crappy example, user.

>comparing very well educated and socially active nobleman of one of the most culture packed countries on Earth to an average autistic humanities bachelor from flyover small-town dump that spends time shitposting on a teenage funny picture forum

She fell in love with a puritan priest though

I guess you're right. I was being a bit hyperbolic because he his town was a bit secluded