Why is it that nobody complains about countries that eat horse meat...

Why is it that nobody complains about countries that eat horse meat, but the moment you tried to eat a dog everyone in the west loses their minds?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sacred
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat#In_various_countries
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Eating horse is still shamed upon here in western europe.

Because a lot of Westerners are fucking freaks that unironically would save a dog before they would a human

America at least is a frontier settler society, and most of its primary antagonists (Native Americans) ate dogs, as did many of the West and West-Central Africans who supplied its slaves. it’s mostly a function of racial hostility. people seem to have forgotten how common it was and is amongst Indians and Blacks because now the primary enemy is Asians

There are venerated animals in many cultures. Holding things sacred is part of what it means to be human.

hurr but me le dog is awesome1!

dogs are not sacred bro.

not in switzerland tho

For many people, they are. Your beliefs are not necessarily the reflection of a society's.

do you know what the word "sacred" means?

Most people probably don't even see horses anymore so they don't have any attachment to them, but most people know someone with a pet dog or have one themselves.

Horses are good boys. They've served us for centuries.

I didn't know countries eat horse meat. If they did I suppose I couldn't hate them about it as long as they don't boil them alive and torture them to death.

Chinese people need to die regardless of what they eat. They need to eat each other. I wouldn't say a word.

#
I know it's a word with multiple meanings. You seem to be taking it in a very literal sense. That's your choice, but that's not my intent.

Westerners are a bunch of hypocrites.

I'm using it in the proper definition

MILLENNIA, and they started out as meat animals. I believe in respecting original purposes. it’s kind of cool, it’s what your Eneolithic ancestors would have done.

And I'm using it in the improper definition, consequently.

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sacred

See 1.3. Why are you bothering to argue semantics? What point are you trying to make?

Some people would get very upset about eating horse meat, it's not true that nobody would complain. But eating dog would generally be more controversial, yes. This is because dogs are primarily pets and companions rather than beasts of burden, and the number of people with pet dogs is far greater than the vanishingly small number of people who raise horses or ride them recreationally.

um, people always get mad about horse meat

Most North American tribes venerated dogs but they still ate them.
Same with Llamas to the South.
In fact many animals have been venerated by societies BECAUSE they're a source of nourishment.
The notion that you don't respect an animal because you eat it is a product of modern luxury.

There are still people who hold onto that mindset though, they try to show respect by getting meat from good sources that treat the animals well, not eating more than they really need, and making sure to not let anything go to waste.

I think most of these issues will become less important once cultured meat is available though.

That's myopic. It's easy to point to many cultures across the globe that elected not to eat certain animals thousands of years ago or longer. Look at cats in Egypt or cows in India, for instance.

I don't believe veneration precludes consumption. The relationship between the two is present, but not universal. I imagine it comes down to a society's spirituality in regards to slaughter for the purpose of consumption. I know natives seemed to believe that slaughter for consumption was a spiritual act, but that society also had to take food where they could get it.

The vast majority of the people in the US would get buttblasted if you ate horse and rightly so. The horse was a critically important working animal in terms of transportation and food production for most of our country's history and due to their intelligence close bonds were formed. It became ingrained as a cultural paradigm in literature, movie and tv.

As far as dogs go, people of countries like Korea who have developed to 1st world status don't eat dog anymore except for impotent old men in back alley hole-in-the-walls who think it will make them have an erection again. And there's good reason for it: dog meat tastes like ass.

>I don't believe veneration precludes consumption
I never said that it did, in fact I said the opposite. Many animals that were venerated by cultures were also eaten and many were venerated BECAUSE they were eaten.
Please work on your reading comprehension.

That you're a fag.

Most people are just dumb and make pointless distinctions between two types of animals for no reason, but generally the preparation of dog meat is pretty fucking awful, and involves boiling the dog alive while horses are killed in a slaughter-house which is probably less horrible a death.

Well that backfired.

Nah, it's considered kinda weird maybe and some horse fanatics might disapprove, but no one would consider it shameful.

I recognize that's what you're saying. I honestly don't know how to respond here. Are you of the opinion that we can't agree on some points and disagree on others? We both agree that veneration doesn't necessarily preclude consumption. However, I am saying that there are plently of cultures that don't consume certain animals on the basis of veneration. I then posited an idea of why this may be the case.

Why are you making me work so hard to explain my point to you? Not every (You) on Veeky Forums is trying to undermine your entire existence.

Because more people own dogs than people own horses.

I don't disagree with you, all I said was that for most of human venerating an animal and still consuming it was normal.
Why are you trying to start an argument over something we essentially agree on?
You're just being difficult.

*human history

Only a few percent of people have ever ridden a horse in the lives, and less than one percent of people actually own horses. On the other hand, between 40% and 50% of people own dogs.

And among people who own them, horses are a barnyard animal while dogs are house animal. Horses are more like a privileged version of livestock than pets.

fuck yeah i would
there's like three people i would save over my dog

Because I agree on the facts you presented, but disagree with your takeaway.
>The notion that you don't respect an animal because you eat it is a product of modern luxury.
Disagree. Already included my counter-argument.

I literally don't give a shit if someone eats a dog. Indians don't care that we eat beef, so we shouldn't give a rat's ass if some Korean on the other side of the world eat's a damn dog.

T. Chinigger

>muh dogs
>t. 30 year old virgin with no family and 4 dogs

kys

So you just wanted to start an argument, got it. Well, I hope you enjoyed it.

See

>the fleshery
oh that's

oh

No, it's not?!

>t. crazy dog guy

Why is it that nobody complains about eating a goat but suddenly when you eat a cow all these Indians go apeshit?

You're about as dumb as they come, bud. God bless and watch your step when boarding buses.

Muh bby pitbull dindu nuffin

what?

>>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat#In_various_countries

They don't unless you're in India..

>nobody
>everybody
The premise of your argument is flawed from your opening statement.

Sure thing, kiddo.

Eating dogs is associated with some weird cooking alive shit