Anyone else having a Soup Sunday?

Anyone else having a Soup Sunday?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=43_N1lPDcbA
thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-sourdough-starter-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-47337
halfbakedharvest.com/moroccan-butternut-squash-goat-cheese-soup-wcoconut-ginger-cream-pistachios/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No, I'm having Sunday Roast. It's better than your soup.

I diced carrots, parsnips, celery, a tiny turnip, onions, and a little bit of leek. Sautéed all that, added garlic, and then added homemade veggie broth and some lentils du puy. It's cooking away at a low simmer with some pepper, smoked paprika, fresh thyme and bay leaf. I'll toss in the parsley and dill towards the end.

Me actually

Looks like swamp water.

Looks good! What's in it?

just had a bowl its really tasty actually
rendered panchetta, chicken sausage, crimini, cabbage, lentils in a tomato chicken-stock base. Fucking g8 high protein meal.

I'd eat that. Looks like split red lentils? I prefer green/lentils du puy personally but this looks good.

Find a flaw:
youtube.com/watch?v=43_N1lPDcbA

Fresh dill in soup?

Yeah, you toss it in at the end and it adds good flavor.

yeah, it's boss

I made carrot(and tomato) soup with sprinkled crispy onions on top, and used my sourdough starter to make garlic and parmesan bread sticks.

It was awesome.

Can I get that bread stick recipe recipe?

uh.. well...

I made my starter from wild yeast by following this(took two weeks to get it right):
thekitchn.com/how-to-make-your-own-sourdough-starter-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-47337

To make the dough I used the blob of pre-fed starter that you normally toss and mixed it with flour, water, olive oil, and salt, and then put it in the fridge for a few days(don't have to do this) then took it out and let it warm up and rise, plopped it on a pizza pan(I usually make pizza dough from it but I'm sick of pizza) and flattened it out to the edges, sprinkled a bunch of garlic powder, a little onion powder, some oregano, a dash of basil, a dash of salt, and some parm on top. then scored some lines into it so the sticks would break apart after baking. Baked it at 500 degrees (same as for the regular sourdough bread) for like 10 minutes, took it out and brushed it with melted butter, then back in for about 3 more minutes until it was crispy and golden.

I made this without the fruit and nut garnish and added bacon. Served with fresh potato bread using the king arthur flour recipe. It was fantastic

halfbakedharvest.com/moroccan-butternut-squash-goat-cheese-soup-wcoconut-ginger-cream-pistachios/

Sounds good, thanks! I bake sourdough and sourdough focaccia, but I've never made breadsticks before. I'll give this a try sometime. Pic is some focaccia I made recently. The garlic roasts in the skin without burning, and then you can slide it out and spread it on the bread if you like garlic, or pick it off if you're a monster who doesn't like roasted garlic.

That looks really fucking good.

That looks good, I'll have to try it sometime. I just bought a bunch of garlic that I'm never going to get through unless I try something like this.
The dough works really great for a regular pizza too, you just have to pop it in the oven for ~7 minutes before putting any toppings on so it fully bakes and doesn't get soggy. and then another 11 minutes which is just enough so it doesn't get too crispy and hard (like the typical bread crust)
I use it mostly to get rid of any leftovers.
The BEST was when I made a BBQ pizza using leftover pork rib meat, my own sauce, chopped green onions, poblano peppers, and shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese. Holy hell that was amazing.

pav bhaji is kind of like a soup so i'm going to say yes.

shit was delicious and i have lunch for 3 days

That sounds great! I've found my go-to sourdough recipe is flexible for both boules and focaccia, I'll give it a go for pizza.

Just googled "pav bhaji," that looks fucking delicious.

i didnt know what it was either until i saw a webm in a thread on here last week. it took two stores to find the right masala blend but at least i could get it. one of the benefits of living near wash dc

>boules
I just posted a picture talking about making mine here
I never want to throw any starter out anymore and I keep wanting to find new uses for it but I'm usually too lazy when the time comes and end up with pizza again... the breadsticks today might be my new go-to since they turned out so well and were so much easier.

At the very least I'd like to find a much simpler and quicker bread recipe.
I could probably just plop my usual pizza dough into a bread pan and be done with it.

Probably going to have a soup Monday or Tuesday. I like to roast a chicken on Sundays so I can use all the leftover meat during the week for soup or whatever else.

I'm in NYC, I bet money Kalustyan's would have that blend. I'll track it down this week.

That's some good looking sourdough. Try using the dough to make focaccia — when you get to the stage you'd shape it, just pour it onto an oiled rimmed sheet and let it sit for an hour or two. Then gently stretch it out and dimple and top with EVOO and flaky salt and whatever other toppings you'd like. Bake at 425/450F for 25-30 min.

No, because it's Monday morning and the middle of summer. Enjoy your soup, user.

I think I'll try it this friday when it's time to feed the starter again.

You poor southern hemispherer. :(

If you do, make a post about it, I'd be curious how it turns out! Also, for what it's worth you don't need to take three days to make sourdough. I don't build a leaven any more, I just use straight starter (fed a few days beforehand and stuck in the fridge), do a long slow bulk ferment (8-12 hours) with stretch and folds in the first part. Then you can shape and proof either on the counter or in the fridge.

It's honestly probably for the best that I don't make it any easier. I can ration out the pizza slices and have leftovers for a few days like a sane person, but every time I make the loaves I end up eating a whole one with butter for dinner and the second only lasts about 2 and half days, if I'm lucky. lol

I can be ok with that once every 6 months or so.. but If it were easier to make more often I would have to start feeling ashamed of myself and add like an hour+ onto my regular jogs.

did you purposefully not de-skin the garlic?

Fair, fair. I give 90% of the bread I bake away for that very reason.

Cube and roast the squash first, and don't puree at the end. Texturally interesting and the bursts of squash were a welcome novelty

Yes. As I said, "The garlic roasts in the skin without burning, and then you can slide it out and spread it on the bread if you like garlic, or pick it off if you're a monster who doesn't like roasted garlic."

I'd take this beautiful 88F/31C shiny day any time over a frosted ice hell hole bro. I feel sorry for you guys, you're the poor ones!

>plopped it on a pizza pan
>plopped
Please don't use words like this.

disgusting. looks hot and unbearable

It's a wad of sticky dough in a bowl that I turn upside down and __?__ out onto a pan.

What word should I use?

It's not though. I'm at home and only just turned on the AC on low. Just to get a bit of air flowing. It's beautiful outside but hot in the kitchen because I have the oven on.