Mac and cheese

Can I get Veeky Forums's best macaroni and cheese recipe?
My sister asked me to cook some for her tomorrow and I wanted to go all out since she really loves that dish (no hate,she's just a kid).

Any tips to make some damn good mac and cheese?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rqYT9eMxr-o
southernbite.com/easiest-one-pot-mac-cheese/
bbqdan.com/recipes/macaroni_cheese.html
seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/the-food-labs-ultra-gooey-stovetop-mac-cheese.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>go store
>get kraft
>follow directions

Whoa slow down there Mr. intricate. Could you mind simplifying that?

1: add mac
2: add cheese

wa la

>inb4 over 9000 replies saying to make bechemel

Make a basic liason with heavy cream and egg yolk, add cheese(s) of your choice, season to taste, toss with cooked pasta.

>asking for a friend
seems legit!

Up the ante and make carbonara.

Make a roux
add milk or cream
Add a good amount of sharp cheddar or w/e
Add macaroni noodles
bake??? Or don't it's your dish do what you will

How old is your sister?

MORE MACARONI

I've got a nagging suspicion that thread is made ever so often because some European is trying to recreate American macaroni and cheese.

kek

>cook noodles and drain
>return to pot and while still hot...
>add just a splash of milk
>and slice upon slice upon slice of american cheese
>adjust consistency with more milk or cheese
>adjust salt if necessary

Whole Milk 837g [or maybe a good beer]
Sodium Hexametaphosphate 36g
Ground Nutmeg 3/4tsp
Ground Mustard 1/2tsp
Smoked Paprika 1/2tsp
Allspice 1/4tsp
Saffron 6 strands
Salt 1/2tsp
>put in pot, blend with immersion blender
>bring to simmer

Asiago Nero 225g
Aged Gouda 180g
Gruyere 135g
Goat Cheddar 135g
Fontina 135g
Emmental 90g
>cut that shit up and add to pot, stirring as it melts
>use immersion blender again

Water
Radiatori Pasta 500g
>boil that shit, al dente

Applewood Smoked Bacon 16 slices
>fry it til crispy
>pat with paper towels so it isnt greasy mess
>chop it into bite-size pieces

Granny Smith Green Apples, 2 large
Unsalted Butter 2tbsp
Brown Sugar 1/4cup packed (forgot weight)
Ground Cinnamon 1tsp
Ground Nutmeg 1/4tsp
Ground Cloves 1/4tsp
>cut apples into little pieces
>melt butter in skillet over medium heat
>toss apples with sugar and spices
>add apples to skillet until they're tender

>put radiatori, cheese sauce, bacon, and apples in casserole dish
>bake at 350 for about 30min.
>top with parmesan cheese
>either bake or broil to finish the parmesan

wa la, op. it's the best mac and cheese of my life.

Omg you fuckin retard
Youve been waiting all day for this moment.
Guess what... Its for a kid. A kid girl.
She will hate your mac n cheese

>sister
pics or it didn't happen

>sister
pics or it isn't fappening

>sister
Pics or i isn't fappening

dont make shit kids

>sister
pics or it isn't satisfactory

>A kid girl

What did he mean by this?

I got you OP.

You need flour, half and half, macaroni, butter, panko crumbs or crushed croutons, and then a bunch of cheese.

I'll explain which kinds you could buy after the cooking lesson.

What you're going to do first is make a blonde roux, which means a butter+flour sauce. To do that, take 1 stick of butter (I'd recommend getting one of those 'Kerrygold' brand sticks, 8oz. is about $3.50, but it's the best tasting butter for a slightly higher price), let it melt in a pot on medium heat, and then a half cup of flour and whisking it -very quickly- over medium heat until it mixes together. At this point you can add 1/4th a cup of half and half and whisk that quickly into the mix as well. Then you start adding shredded cheese, 24 oz. total., so let's talk about what you want for a second.

The best mix of cheese would probably be 8oz. sharp cheddar or english cheddar, 8oz. gruyere, and then 8oz. gouda or swiss.

Since it's for a kid I'd say do 16 oz. sharp cheddar from Wisconsin and then 8oz. gruyere. If you can't find it, don't worry, just do all cheddar and call it a day, or some colby-jack as well. Make sure you get cheese that isn't pre-shredded, it's coated in starch to prevent it from sticking which you don't need because the macaroni provides it.

So after you stir in the h&h, gradually add fistfulls of the cheese and stir it in until it's incorporated, then add in your macaroni noodles and toss it together. Put it in a dish, dust the croutons or panko on top, and bake in the oven at 400 degrees until it's golden brown on top.

youtube.com/watch?v=rqYT9eMxr-o

This is a basic demonstration of the same thing. It's not super hard. Enjoy.

Thanks a lot for the answers, truly appreciate.

Actually she's a frog and is very used to eating "adult" types of food. Especially regarding cheese. She loves parmesan and goat cheese for instance

>a kid girl

I tried to boil pasta in milk instead of water and the result was pretty nice, really creamy and perfect for mc n cheese.

Am I a degenerate?

easy one pot method:

boil 2 cups of macaroni until slightly underdone,
drain out water
add 1.5 tablespoons of butter & stir until melted
add 1 tablespoon of flour & 1.5 teaspoons of mustard powder & stir until coated
add whole milk until level is an inch below the top of the pasta
put back on the heat & stir until thickened
take off the heat & add 2 cups of whatever cheese you want to use, stir until melted
add in diced onions or bacon or whatever you want to add
transfer to serving bowl or dish
grate cheese all over top
sprinkle with breadcrumbs
grill until golden brown

boil it in sodium citrate, ass mucus and cum.

Where can I get some decent mucus

Drink a lot and develop an anxiety disorder. You'll be all set.

This. Just add Parmesan cheese and shredded Mexican cheese blend. Crush A bag of lays, sprinkling the layer all over the top. Drizzle with truffle oil and put in oven for a few mins. Take out and enjoy.

Jesus Christ, user, it's just mac and cheese.

Goggle Martha Stewart's baked mac and cheese it is literally the best I have ever had

>Sodium Hexametaphosphate
>Potentially lethal amounts of some strange chemical
>Mac and Cheese

tips on how to achieve pic related?

Can I put some cordon bleus inside my mac and cheese

There’s no “best recipe” but there is a simple guideline and you turn it into whatever you want it to be

>make a bechamel sauce
>melt in your desired cheese
>cook desired noodles al dente
>mix noodles with sauce
>add in anything you like (I like sautéed onions and peppers, maybe some jalapeños)
>add spices
>put in a pan
>add cheese on top
>add breadcrumbs if desired
>bake until the top is golden

You can add shit like bacon into the mix and cover the top, you can like the top with pepperoni before you cover with cheese, or mix in whatever you like. The best Mac & cheese will be the one with your favourite stuff in it. Don’t be afraid to experiment. You can add taco or chilli seasoning and make it fajita themed, or spicy, I dunno, do whatever the fuck you like. It’s pretty damn easy.

sounds nice indeed

sauce: southernbite.com/easiest-one-pot-mac-cheese/

Applewood smoked gouda mac is my fuckin jam.

Start with macaroni noodles, then add FUCK IT.

make standard macaroni and cheese - add the ingredients the box calls for, including cheese powder. add an andouille sausage and diced onions with the mac and cheese in a glass baking pan, then mix around. make a standard roux using pepperjack - or sharp cheddar - top with panko bread crumbs and bake for ~30 mins @ 350.

it's really good, but I don't have it too often considering it's pretty fatty.

1:1 ratio of macaroni and cheese

2 cups of cheese:

1 cup mild cheddar
1/2 cup sharp white cheddar
1/2 cup gruyere

>make a standard roux using pepperjack

Uh, wut?

make a roux, mix in whole milk, then once that is browned, mix in shredded pepperjack cheese.

I just don't remember the ratio and I'm on my phone, not at home.

That's called a morney sauce, dum dum.

Thanks everyone, I followed some of your advice, made a béchamel and kept it simple by drowning the mac in different cheese (especially cheddar). She said she wanted to keep it simple and focused on cheese.
She said it was "beautifully delicious".

With some luck I'm getting laid tonight

>With some luck I'm getting laid tonight
Aren't we talking about your sister here? Hot

This sounds good actually

Is that the same as mornay?

No, that's a type of eel.

cooking isn't like magic, nigga. I don't have to say the right word or phrase to make it taste good.

I made a typo when I misspelled mornay; what you wrote made it sound like you had no clue what the fuck you were talking about.

You can make my mom's recipe. Cube Velveeta, boil noodles, combine. It's shit, but it's lazy.

Aren't Mac and cheese a black people/soul food dish?

When you make the roux/sauce, instead of using milk, use evaporated milk. It's much creamier and richer, and is the secret to Mac and Cheese.

Every time this question is posted I make this same reply. I've used this recipe dozens of times. It's basic, baked mac and cheese.

bbqdan.com/recipes/macaroni_cheese.html

While I'll certainly eat a good mac and cheese made with bechamel, the best mac and cheese is made with a custard base.

This faggot knows.

Kässpätzle is what mac and cheese is supposed to be. I'd prefer shitty Kässpätzle over good mac and cheese any day, and you would, too, if you weren't an anglo.

Can you still call a custard a custard if it's broken beyond oblivion?

No need to be rude. If you know more than someone, educate them, don't shame them.

Just looked it up, I know exactly where to get these noodles, and I have tons of gruyere on hand, I'm so making this tonight.

>if you know more than someone

He doesn't "know more", he's just a europoor who's never left his village and gets offended when people eat anything other than the dozen dishes he grew up with, exactly the way that his mom made them.

amounts are just eyeballed:
Chop up some onion and throw in pan with a hunk of butter. When the butter is melting add like a cup of cream and several splashes of white wine. sprinkle in a little bit of something spicy (like chipotle powder) not enough to actually be spicy but enough to have a little flavour in the background. Melt a handful of non-stringy cheese like old cheddar and stir a fistful of flour into it. dump your cooked noodles in and there you are

I'm too drunk to even begin pointing out everything wrong about this.

;^)

Ignore all posts telling you to make a bechemel or to use a roux
seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/the-food-labs-ultra-gooey-stovetop-mac-cheese.html

>Whole milk (Terrible for you) 29g of fat, and 19g of sugar)
>6 cheeses at 15g of fat
>500g of fucking pasta at 40g per cup
>Adding shit like bacon and fruit for no reason,. just a shit ton of carbs and tons more fat
>MORE cheese to top on despite already having 6 in the sauce

HOLY DIABETES AMERICA!

>mix in whole milk, then once that is browned

What the fuck are u doin nigga

It's mac and cheese...

Non meme recipe:

>Heavy cream, make a beschemel, Add in aged irish cheddar and stir frequently
>Toss in some black pepper, and a bit of lemon juice along with bits of crushed parsley
>Celetani pasta, Semolina based, dry.
>Toss noodles into a pot of boiling water, boil till al dente.
>Pour pasta into seperate saucepan, Drizzle a bit of white truffle oil or white wine, with a splash of kalamata oil Add mushrooms to the mix for some more flavor
>Add garlic, oregeno and some basil
>Fry and toss for about 2 minutes to get the marinade mixed in with the pasta
>Drain the oils and pour cooked pasta into a bowl/onto plate
>Top with beschemel sauce
>dust grated stilton (or any hard cheese) over the top
>Garnish with parsley stem for pretentious presentation

Wa la.

>non meme
>first step: make a beschemel
>wa la

Mac and cheese is Cheddar cheese and noodles. High carb but low fat. what you made is death on a plate with unnescessary additions, (Who the fuck puts APPLES in pasta?!) Also WHO EATS 500g OF PASTA? THAT SERVES LIKE 8 PEOPLE LOL

How would it be broken beyond oblivion? Surely people know how to make a custard.

I didn't post that; just pointing out how stupid it is to break down the nutritional value of mac and cheese.

Also, mac and cheese isn't just cheddar and noodles - did you even read the thread?

>Cheddar powder mix
>Noodles

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot water. My mistake. Fancy mac and cheese is probably the most millenial hipster thing ever. Just eat it as it is like WOW.

jesus christ you sound like a faggot

>powder mix

Nobody but children make mac and cheese using a powder mix.

Nobody but children make mac and cheese

That's absolutely untrue. You probably think that because your mommy only made you Kraft powdered mac and cheese as a child.

My mom wasn't white trash, so no.
Mac and cheese is babby-tier "cooking", regardless of how fancy the ingredients you use may be.

That's a pathetic excuse for insulting a dish that kings, queens, governors, and people much smarter and richer than you have eaten and loved. You think you're a good cook, but you're not.

jesus christ you sound like a faggot

>insulting a dish
It's a basic and childish dish, how popular or tasty it is is irrelevant

>childish
How? How is that any more "childish" than crepes, quiche, braised meats, grilled steak, or any other number of simple dishes? You're just a low-rent faggot, sir. Only a real bougie fuck would say something like that.

post result

if you dare

Kids only like bland flavours so if you really go all out shell probably just play in it and then dump it on the floor.

Use 5+ year old sharp cheddar if you can find it and can afford it

Cook the noodles al dente then bake them in a casserole dish with the cheese sauce and a spinkling of panko and/or Parmesan

mac and cheese
+fried onion
+garlic
+blue cheese

can't go wrong

>blue cheese
why not any other type of cheese?

green or red cheese would be fine too

make pasta, slightly under al dente
make bechamel, add dry white wine, gruyère, strong cheddar/Lancaster cheese
add paprika, chili flakes and Worcestershire sauce to bechamel mix
assemble in pan and add Gouda slices on top (important for presentation, as the cheese mix below will look "dirty")
bake until Gouda is browned

result is a rich and intensely savoury mac and cheese

I have that book (The Food Lab) and I've actually made that. It was quite good. That said, there is nothing wrong with using a roux. It's pretty different and that difference can be desirable depending on what you're doing. The author of that has a baked mac and cheese recipe that starts with a bechamel sauce. I haven't made that yet though.

why the fuck would you deliberately take a 40 minute maximum job and make it a two hour ordeal
also
>condensed milk

do you smoke meth?

>slightly under al dente
Yeah, my first times I didn't think about that detail, and I ended up with a cake of cheesy pasta glued together

BLUE CHEESE OR GRUYERE AND BACON CRUMBLES
DO IT FAGT

other types of cheese don't taste like blue cheese and it's creamy