Neo-Liberalism

OK Veeky Forums give me your best books that you know of regarding neo-liberalism. What is it, it's history, how it came to be, where it's headed, etc

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sGFDozNhTtI
imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2016/06/ostry.htm
theguardian.com/news/2017/aug/18/neoliberalism-the-idea-that-changed-the-world
cis.org.au/app/uploads/2015/07/op114.pdf
faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/~jlg562/documents/BoasandGans-Morse--SCID.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

there is no such thing as neoliberalism. it's a made up word used by weak wristed lefty commie pinko cucks to describe things they don't like.

How do we call the era where everything that ever mattered was markets and every level of society from the individual to the culture was seen through the lenses of a market, then?

Note that neo-liberalism is critiqued from both the left and right. It's a seemingly universal phenomenon that everyone hates about today's world, yet something which isn't fully defined yet

>nigger thinks that a word most high-school children understand is cryptic knowledge
So this... is the power of BLM.
>replying to satire
How new?

Ding ding ding

It's really just
>The problems facing society are moral problems, capitalism is basically fine

>define something without sources or reference

#Black excellence

How can capitalism be fine in a world with moral problems when capital, ergo money have no color, creed or beliefs?

The real question to the problem is why we came to cherish capitalism and make it a reference point to everything above all else

How can it be anything but fine?

How can it be?

The post-Jesus era

whats wrong with using google to find some sources? stupid coon

Capitalism seeks to expand wealth; no one can argue this is a bad thing. It does this by maintaining a ledger of work done and benefits received. This ledger is in the form of money. It informs you how many benefits you can receive until you must work again. Seek after where this concept deviates in practice user, don't just scoff and say you don't like it. Respect your ancestors who brought you these elevated living conditions and refine their methods.

I prefer "soy boy" and "bugman", they still have some zest and really rile things up

Deray being a sellout is just social liberalism, not neoliberalism. He wants the government AND PepsiCo to be black people's understanding daddy, not welfare cuts

>Capitalism seeks to expand wealth
Wrong, it seeks to concentrate wealth in the hands of a few
>being a deracinated consumer with no culture or identity is a form of respect for your anscestors
Oh, you're an American

David Harvey and varoufakis

Wow user what a rebuttal. Wealth in the hands of a few is a symptom of something. Can you explain what that something is without just saying capitalism? I want to hear the whole process. Because according to theories of economies of scale and rational consumers we should all be billionaires by now. Why is this not the case?

Yeah great reply, really fucking insightful. In your next post please attach a fully-sourced five page essay composed in iambic pentameter on why you are not a retard

Can you do that? If you fail to write me this essay then objectively speaking you will have been proven to be mentally retarded. I'll have no choice but to declare myself your intellectual superior and winner of this argument for all of eternity

We'll I guess I'll fill in for you. Capitalism is failing because it was intended to function under the rule of sovereign states. Did you know the City of London is its own sovereign and legally not answerable to anyone? Same thing with the Bank of International Settlements in Basel. And what about central bank; those are controlled by the states at least right? They issue credit to enterprising citizens who then not only repay the bank but also transform that credit into a higher capital stock? Well that could have been the case but the Fed has obviously been hijacked.

Alan Greenspan even admitted the Fed is not answerable to the federal government: m.youtube.com/watch?v=sGFDozNhTtI

Check out the reading list on /r/neoliberal. There are a few essay that chart the history of the movement - I think Mirowski's is deemed to be the best one, though I haven't read it yet.

Dude government lmao but also freedom

Neoliberalism was developed in 1938 as a response to rising totalitarianism in the forms of fascism and communism. The goal was to revive liberalism while addressing the failures of both laissez-faire capitalism and centrally planned economies. What was sketched out was a modernised liberalism with an active but limited state to maintain free enterprise and a basic welfare.
Neoliberals understand that free-market capitalism creates unparalleled growth, opportunity, and innovation, but may fail to allocate wealth efficiently or fairly. Therefore, the state serves vital roles in correcting market failure, ensuring a minimum standard of living, and conducting monetary policy. At the same time, the state should pursue these goals with minimal interference and under the check of inclusive institutions to free it from the influence of corporations, unions, and other special interests.
We believe public policies should be evaluated on how well they achieve their goals. We strive to avoid the failures of collectivists who employ means that are fundamentally inconsistent with the egalitarian ends they seek to attain. For this reason, we support empirical, pragmatic policy grounded in economics. Neoliberals also support classical liberal values such as freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom of the press (to name a few)
Neoliberals are flexible in their policy prescriptions but are unified in their support for lowering barriers on trade and immigration while also supporting a tax on carbon emissions. We do not all subscribe to a single comprehensive ideology but instead find common ground in liberal priors. Differences within our views often come down to how much redistribution is appropriate and what empirical burden is needed to justify state action.

How?

>low-tier shitposting

>muh neoliberalism
A leftist boogeyman. The equivalent of the right-wing "muh globalists". Doesn't exist anywhere besides maybe Germany.

What would you call Americas system then? Other than corrupt.

Kleptocracy seems to be the only fitting word for acting government forms

America is a mix of a special kind of oligarchical lassaiz fare capitalism and bad social and economic policies. They don't even have basic shit like free healthcare, not to mention they elected Trump who is against immigration (neo-liberals are very pro-immigration, since it has a positive effect on the economy) and iirc has promised protectionist policies (which is anti-neoliberal as it gets).

Some people think of America as a first-world country and a superpower but we're more like a trash-strewn carnival run by goofy magnates and lots of rockets.

A third world country with a first world budget.

>any economy with a monetary system is capitalism
never post here again brainlet

Usually an economy with a monetary system whose purpose is to maximize wealth is labeled as being calitalist. But usually labels are dumb I guess. What would you call it?

On the rights of man and citizen
Essay

Read these two then pic related:

theguardian.com/news/2017/aug/18/neoliberalism-the-idea-that-changed-the-world

its just liberalism on a specifically international scale. You're an idiot.

Check out Philip Mirowski's "Never let a serious crisis go to waste" he is an intellectual historian concerned with economics. His tone is flip which can be frustrating, but it is an excellent, though critical, account. He works hard to disambiguate the term.
The bibliography is worth a look even if you don't like the book.

Best reply ITT.

>weak wristed

>empirical

Welcome, Friend

The Road From Mont Perelin
Capitalism and Freedom

cis.org.au/app/uploads/2015/07/op114.pdf
faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/~jlg562/documents/BoasandGans-Morse--SCID.pdf

what if the individual doesn't consent

Then we call the IMF

>
'Neoliberalism' is an antisemetic dogwhistle spammed by Russian bots

>they elected Trump who is against
I would say this is because people are "revolting" against neo-liberalism at this point.
The established legislative body and bureaucratic government is still almost entirely composed of neo-liberals.

Holy shit how will DeRay McKangzSon ever recover?

It's an advanced stage of applied liberalism that is global and has an impact on every aspect of our lives. Social progress through bullshit semantics defining more than two genders, the growing gap between the poor and the rich, liberalism extended to our sexuality etc. All of these are purely modern changes are the product of neo-liberalism. Read de Benoist, Lasch, Michéa and Houellebecq.

My diary desu

+ 1

Is Rawls considered a neoliberal?

probably, given that his basic concern is categorically blind fairness, which he calls 'justice'. he's had a tremendous impact on just about every social science and humanities professor in the country.

Ever heard of Lady Justice?

yes, but her blindfold is relatively new. She is also a symbol (predominantly) of (nationwide) criminal justice; Rawls appropriated her attributes for the application of (worldwide) social justice.

He's also a shill for liberal democracy and suggests that we the enlightened sanction every backwards sovereign until they bend the knee.

Because capital is downstream of culture.

Capitalism being the problem is a red herring that prevents us from actually addressing the causes of mass disillusionment and lack of meaning in our lives.