"Remember, the brain and consciousness also evolved with survival in mind, to the exclusion of all else. Thus...

"Remember, the brain and consciousness also evolved with survival in mind, to the exclusion of all else. Thus, your mental perception of the universe suffers from this same tunnel vision—it is in no way geared toward producing an objective view of reality; it only produces a view of reality that will help you survive. You will “see” the universe that you need to see. This is not a metaphor; it is an indisputable, biological fact born out of necessity.
Whether you “see” the universe as pure or corrupt, peaceful or violent, just or unjust, is largely determined by what you need to believe in order to motivate yourself to continue living for another day. Your perception of reality is therefore also very easy for other beings to hijack for their purposes. Think of the relationship between a cult leader and his followers. He will isolate them and make them believe they are an island in a sea of depravity, that signs of an eminent apocalypse are all around them. If he is adept at his task, members of the flock will readily lay down their lives in defense against this phantom threat. Ask them why, and they will state that their fatalistic beliefs are merely the result of unbiased, objective observation of the world around them. They are telling the truth! They just do not grasp the fact that they do not believe based on what they observe; they observe based on what they have been tricked into believing.
And so it goes for all of us."

ITT : Books that got the drop on you by pretending to be retarded

>pretending reddit trash is deep

If Nietzche said it you'd call it profound

ITT: people will deny that OP's quote is some good shit even though it is, just because it came from le ebic Reddit cracked.com book

Also, fight the power, pic related

Never heard of this book is it gud?

>it's a layman tries to evolutionary psychology episode

This movie was shit lmao

This whole argument is so very idiotic:
If it is true that "your mental perception of the universe suffers from this same tunnel vision—it is in no way geared toward producing an objective view of reality; it only produces a view of reality that will help you survive." Then it is also true that any scientific truth is likewise not "true" in any objective sense.And if that is true then there is no reason to accept as true the scientific "fact" that the "brain and consciousness also evolved with survival in mind, to the exclusion of all else."
So this argument not only is stupid, but is actually self-contradictory.

Yes.

It's really fucking funny and actually a bit scary.

So disappointing, mon.

We do not live in the reality science tells us we exist in. We live in our own reality and science tells us how wrong we are. I don't know why I'm even responding. I feel baited.

The book starts off with a pretty witty retelling of the ship of theseus, though. It made known from the start that there'd be at least some baseline philosophical musing.

It's really good and has a mediocre movie and a terrible, preachy, sequel.

I feel like I would have enjoyed the sequel more if I had read it way back in 2012 when zombies were still a not oversaturated thing. I wouldn't call it terrible but the third book more than makes up for it.

Only book that actually made me lose my appetite halfway through a sandwich.
So, pretty good. Really fun. Read it 3 times.

That doesn't even make sense, bud

Its nothing groundbreaking but its definitely the most fun book series I have ever read in my life, all three of them. The characters are great and its written in this really cynical, "Luie CK" prose that can deliver both shit your pants horror and laugh out loud comedy. Its great.

He probably did say it, but it one fucking sentence like you should have done.

Jesus these books get intense. You think its going to be all "heheh leddit fart stoner riiick" jokes but holy shit that bit near the end where the MC is talking about his childhood was some good shit. Its not like Ulysses tier literature but oh man,

I just got the third book, What The Hell Did I Just Read. I'm halfway through and its already way more intense than the first one.

It's not trying to be """"""tfw to deep"""""

it's contextual to the book itself, the character is literally seeing something the way he has to in order to retain his sanity.

Maybe read the book before you bash it sweaty ;^)

>MC is talking about his childhood
he totally got raped in that locker room

also, thank you for telling me it's out, oh shit! I'm fucking HYPED

You fucking should be, I have never had a book kick me in the groin so hard, so much and in such a good way.

YES