Where do poor people shop? Mostly dollar stores and convenience stores?

Where do poor people shop? Mostly dollar stores and convenience stores?

anywhere that accepts ebt and has alcoholic products, also mcdonalds

staples at a regular grocery store are the same fucking price as shit at dollar general

lol, I wouldn't shop there even if I was poor. It just a convenient store with bigger selection

I used to get almost $200 a month on my EBT and liked to shop at publix.

God bless America.

>poor people

Is this just another way of getting away with saying 'niggers'?

I got $194 for about 3 years when I was still NEET. I still have a few grand rolled over on the card because I didn't spend very much of it, been using it for the past year or so now.

Grocery salvage stores

no.

Poor people shop at gas stations and convenience stores, mostly. They can get the same shit at the grocery store for cheaper, but they're too lazy to do anything but walk down the street to the bodega and spend $30 on Takis and Ricearoni.

Convenience stores are stupendously expensive and have a extremely restricted variety. They shop at grocery stores like me and you except they pinch every penny possible whether it be through extreme couponing or buying off brand stuff

wow that a sad story, too bad niggers can't even get online to read this

Niggers can't read so it won't do them any good anyway.

poor people do all their shopping in one trip, one store, this is why they eat like shit and will always be poor
it doesn't matter if it's the convenience store or a regular grocery store
no one store has the best prices for everything

>this ignoramus never heard of a food desert

That's a lie from the devil himself.

>I used to get almost $200 a month on my EBT

I'm a single dude with no kids and I got 200 a month. I think my appetite went down just because I could anything whenever I wanted. Last time, I just used the card to buy candy to give out to kids at Halloween. I don't believe in karma but at least I did something nice.

>tfw grocery salvage store occasionally has higher quality ingredients than the regular stores

Still not sure how the grocery outlet got fucking prime rib.

Can a 26 year old that makes $40k a year get a EBT card?

winn dixie grocery store, if you're in the south

it's true. i buy fancy ass organic shit at my grocery outlet all the time

i don't question these things, but i do check expiration dates.

white and single? no

You might have a hard time with that.

Shit. Guess I'll continue to eat Ramen, rice, and beans.

I've never heard of these Grocery Outlets before. Are they just dollar stores with different names?

It depends on income. Usually if you make more than 35k you can't get it at all. You have to have very little to no income to get the full $194 a month. I made $10.50 an hour and worked 40 hours a week and still only got $25 a month.

Has nothing to do with race or marital status, you're not more or less likely to get a card if you're white vs black.

kek
I wish this was the case, but poor people are poor for a reason and don't have any financial sense
they shop at mcdonald's because 'etin good is too spensive' and requires care and planning into the future
I bought into this philosophy that eating well is somehow difficult for poor people until I financially emancipated myself from my parents at 18 and realized that with my $10 an hour retail job I was able to feed myself more than adequately by purchasing items in bulk at sam's and buying other ingredients at kroger/aldi

Brit here
Best bet for a poor person would be to get Tesco (or similar) to deliver £40+ of long life staple food. It's a couple of quid for the delivery if you're flexible, and buying online allows for wiser shopping (no hurry, no manipulative retail tricks, easy price comparison, easy discovery of special offers etc). A delivery of less than £40 adds a £4 charge which would be a huge waste, and £40 isn't unrealistic if you shop every month.

I dunno if there's a USA equivalent, but if not then that's a glaring gap in the market.

>spend summer as a volunteer at a reservation in South Dakota
>only grocery store within reasonable distance of my shack is a gas station 10 miles down the road
>have to drive 50+ miles to buy expensive fresh food
>have to drive 100+ miles to buy reasonably priced fresh food
Shit sucked. Can't imagine the same situation in a city, though.

>anywhere that accepts ebt

There is a lack of groceries in the hood, for sure, and the distances are not as great, of course, but they have to take the bus since they don't have cars. So that adds a lot of time and they can't buy a lot at a time. Not to mention we're talking about mostly single mothers and don't get me started on how hard that already is

It's not like it's not doable to buy produce and cook decent meals but being black and living in the hood is living life on hard mode

>visiting USA
>go to dollar tree
>african americans fighting inside it
>Instantly leave

Outlets are usually owned by regional grocery distributors. They sell anything that they might have overstocked on or was returned by their clients (other grocery stores) for whatever reason. The food & merchandise are fine, just that some of it might be near expiration or has slightly damaged packaging.

A lot of them rarely or don't promote themselves, so you'll have to look around.
Usually not a good place for groceries unless you like Bar-S meat and "imitation shreds"

This faggot has never been to a dollar store in his life.

Dollar store is the shit for light bulbs, trash bags, batteries, paper towels, dishwasher detergent, basically anything you're not buying a wagyu steak for.

Yeah I get all that shit at the dollar store. Canned food as well if you buy any of that.

I'm not even poor but there's no way I'm paying extra for that stuff when the dollar store is just down the street from the supermarket.

>you're not more or less likely to get a card if you're white vs black

Don't know about that. I've heard a few stories both in person and online about the financial aid/welfare offices being staffed by minorities. They've been seen giving preferential treatment to members of their own groups (black, hispanic) and then give the cold shoulder to poor whites that come in for assistance.

I live on 15k a year ama

do you live in a trailer or a car?

2 bedroom apartment

You're missing the point of Dollar General. They open up in places where they're the only option. And they always have a big parking lot to make it easy. What they sell is garbage, but people shop there because it's the only retailer in the area.

>hen give the cold shoulder to poor whites that come in for assistance.
bullshit, considering white people are actually the majority of the people that sign up for EBT.

>white people are the majority of people
>black people make up 13% of the population and 25% of the people on welfare and stay on welfare for 3x as long
it does make sense that the majority of the population does the majority of things. Hmmm? except for murder, rape and theft...

Everyone forgets to mention the reason there are no stores there is because of how huge the loses would be on theft. It's not like grocery chains said "fuck niggers" they said "fuck losing all that money". They can drive and stock up like people who live out in the boonies do, I live on a mountain and it's an hour and a half round trip just driving to go to the grocery store, 2 and a half to Costco. It isn't hard to do but it requires not being a fucking retard and planing meals and making a list. Poor people who eat like shit do it because they are stupid, there are plenty of people who are poor and down on their luck who aren't stupid who eat fine. I was eating well off 100$ for a whole month for food, I have no sympathy for those fucking retards that bitch about how hard it is to eat healthy so that's why they buy 711 food.

>the reason there are no stores there is because of how huge the loses would be on theft
That's one of many risks. There's also the fact that in a store with very low turnover the markups you'd have to charge to remain profitable might be more than your customers can pay. And even if you could get by in that situation anything perishable would be a non-starter, because it would likely rot into a loss before it was sold. That's why when you do find a retailer in a poor, sparsely populated area you rarely find much in the way of fresh food there. In some places this has been the case for two generations, which means people have grown up pretty much without eating fresh food. These people are not stupid, it's just that their normal is incredibly fucked up, and they don't realize it because that's normal for them and everybody else they know. The last shopping with DinoTendies thread is a perfect example. This is a guy who spends under $20 on a shopping run, and gets a lot of food. But it's all garbage, because the places where he shops sell nothing but garbage. So to him it's entirely conceivable a meal can be instant stuffing, canned tamales and a dollar store pork chop. It's not because he's stupid. He's just doing what we all do - trying to work with the ingredients available to him. It's just that what's available to him is garbage.
>I have no sympathy for those fucking retards that bitch about how hard it is to eat healthy so that's why they buy 711 food.
Unless they live someplace where the 7-11 and Dollar General are their only retail options.

And people wonder why there's an obesity epidemic among the poor

Like clockwork

>Unless they live someplace where the 7-11 and Dollar General are their only retail options.
So out in the boonies.

Yet every time people push to limit EBT to stables, or remove subsidies (like no tax on frozen/processed foods), the Dems cry OMG YOU HATE THE POOR.

Not to mention that 90% of the time poor people are poor because they're retarded. My wife's family is poor as shit, almost all high school drop outs, shit like lifelong Walmart employees or just welfare queens. Once saw my mother in law spent $120 on frozen pizzas and processed cheese and shit, then tell me "oh good food is just too expensive", and couldn't believe that I was buying good food for my wife and two kids for $40/week. They're poor as shit because they invested everything they had in buying 3 houses in 2007, convinced that they'd become real estate rental mogels based off a "how to turn property to cash!" CD.

Damn near all obese, too.

Actually, the push from the Obama administration was to start requiring convenience stores to carry healthy options if they wanted to continue to be able to accept SNAP.

If there were grocery stores to begin with then yes they most certainly said "fuck niggers" to begin with. Now it's just not worth the theft to move back even in

There are many reasons for that. Shops that sell to the poor don't stock fresh food because it rots before it sells. So the poor eat the cheapest shelf stable or frozen foods. But there are other factors in play as well. No one likes being reminded they're poor, and poor people see drinking "plain water" as a reminder of that. My mother grew up poor, and neither she nor her father ever drunk water. To this day she won't drink it. She has to add some instant lemonade mix to it to make it palatable for her. This prejudice against drinking water means poor people consume a lot of extra calories in the form of soft drinks. Then there's legacy patterns of eating. If you're from a family that was agricultural a few generations ago chances are family meals are still a big deal in your culture. There's a tradition of eating large, highly caloric meals because back in the day your people easily burned off 3000+ calories daily working the farm. That's where your Simply Sarah kind of recipes come from. They made sense for people who labored all day, and got handed down through families. But when no one in the family labored anymore eating like that just made people obese.

How'd that go?

And I don't really see EBT at convenience stores. However I still see hamplanets dropping $200 on Red Baron pizzas, Kraft Mac and Cheese, piles of chips, and other processed shot at Safeway.

>poor people see drinking "plain water" as a reminder of that.
I still can't believe this but it's absolutely true and mind bogglingly retarded.

It is a thing, and in combination with advertising and fast food it's pretty much what keeps the soft drink industry alive. I've even seen people here trying to reinforce that prejudice by making threads mocking the idea of getting water instead of a soft drink at a fast food joint. I've also traveled around the south and eaten at places that catered to poor people where staff seemed dumbfounded by me having water with my meal. Like it didn't occur to them that anyone would drink water when soda, lemonade or sweet tea were options.

When I used to hang around with homeless people/people on benefits, they literally didn't buy any food. Any, ANY money they had would go on drugs or booze. They couldn't even get into shops, because they'd all been barred for shoplifting. They'd rely solely on foodbanks, most were horrendously malnourished and wouldn't live past 55.

Poor people go to walmart and buy $500 worth of gibsme groceries.

Lower-middle class working people have to go to the dollar store.

Such utter horseshit.

Leave San Fran. 40k can buy you real food in a normal town.

ITT:
(1) People who actually shop and pay attention
(2) poltards who want to make a nonexistent point
(3) People who have never shopped in a whole class of stores out of fear

I'm in a large urban area with Dollar Tree sitting right next to a Ralph's (Kroger). There's a whole skill to comparing prices and quality among various stores with "Dollar" in the name versus mainstream grocery, versus Big Lots & such. You need to be selective and buy what is best in each.

What part?

I've heard of food desserts