Do you use any websites, apps or computer software to keep track of what books you've read or want to read?

Do you use any websites, apps or computer software to keep track of what books you've read or want to read?

Other urls found in this thread:

faecbook.com/shakira/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No.

Yes.

No, because I am not autistic, I read for myself and not as an ostentatious way to validate my intellect, and a pen and piece of paper are sufficient for reminding myself of a book to buy.

Why do you need to track what books you've read anyway? Don't you already have a personal library? I don't understand this pathological obsession with publicly tracking and documenting the inane minutiae of one's life in hopes of being some little celebrity or something.

>I don't understand this pathological obsession with publicly tracking and documenting the inane minutiae of one's life in hopes of being some little celebrity or something.

But i have been on goodreads for years and had no friends on there until i added people from Veeky Forums and i don't even talk to them, i just look at what they're reading for recommendations.

autism

I keep track of my physical library in LibraryThing.
Is this bait or are you genuinely stupid enough to not understand why people share opinions or use organizational tools?

Partly the desire to organize our lives so we can distract ourselves from the fact that reality is chaos ending in death, partly, as you said, ostentatiousness

>No, because I am not autistic
You clearly are. I use a spreadsheet to keep track of books I want to read and then cross them out afterwards. That doesn't make me autistic.

The crossing out part does, actually

>My ostentatiousness doesn't like the thought that I would do something for vapid reasons so I tell myself lies
ftfy

>autism: the post

This has to be bait.

>I use a spreadsheet to keep track of books I want to read and then cross them out afterwards. That doesn't make me autistic.

Do you keep a spreadsheet of all the different foods you've eaten? Or the brands of some luxury item, say scotch, that you've bought and consumed? Where does it end?

You may be mistaken and think that this stamp collecting approach to life equates to an examined life sensu Plato. Perhaps you think it fights entropy and the ephemeral nature of your existence. It does not: it is simply another waste of time; a compulsive behavior to distract you from actual thoughts.

It truly is pathetic behavior.

Or maybe you're an idiot and the seven people who called you an idiot are correct.

I keep track of my collection because I often loan or exchange books and I can't be arsed to remember what I do or don't have in physical form, let alone tertiary publication details for several hundred tomes. I don't tend to exchange my food or store it in high volumes. Seek a mental health professional and take care of these issues you're having. They seem severe.

Yes that must be it. Sure I have three degrees and ca. 30 publications to my name and I'm only 31. but I'll believe the autistic retards who think they are literary Kardashians, with people following their lives and preferences at the edges of their seats.

We all have four degrees and over 50 publications. And we're not even 16 yet like you are, my man.

>being an internet tough guy in current year
>pretending to be an adult while being autistically contrarian and fighting your own pointless straw men online
>unironically thinking that being 31 and on Veeky Forums is anything but laughable
Top zoz.

What, do you think when people hit 30 they stop going online? I've been on Veeky Forums since 2007, albeit with several breaks. I have two young children and enjoy some moderately brainless entertainment when time permits.

Not everyone is a deadend loser NEET.

>do you think when people hit 30 they stop going online?
No, they usually stop wasting time on funny picture forums for autistic teenagers by the time their student life is over.
>Not everyone is a deadend loser NEET.
Indeed, overgrown manchildren like you usually are though.

>they usually stop wasting time on funny picture forums

post your mothers facebook

faecbook.com/shakira/

I don't track what books I own because I know it by heart. I can always look at my bookshelves anyway.
However I do use a plain text file in which I have:
- thematic reading lists of books I (mostly) already own and have read (to revisit them from some new standpoint or interest)
- books I'm planning to buy or borrow next
- books I want to read or would enjoy reading at some point
- authors and books that seem worth checking out, grouped by various categories/themes

Imagine being this much of a sad cunt at 31.

I use goodreads to keep track but its reccomendation algorithm is fucking garbage.

Why do that when I can just remember what I've read?

I'm a memorylet.

I recently created a c sharp program that allows me to 1) create .txt files with tags in the name 2) add notes on the book to the newly created .txt, or search through already created .txt’s and add more notes.

Its a simple console app but it works well and if youre interested i can share it for free and provide instructions on how to edit it so you can use it

Ex: i just read a book. I want to make a quick summation of my thoughts on the book. Open this .exe, type o for “old”, then type list to see a list of all current txt files

Then go back to main menu, type n, type in title name author last name and media type, along with the ID

Takes less than 15 seconds to add a new title and start typing thoughts on it.

Additionally it can add a timestamp to each edit you make upon opening the app- so in the .txt it would look like

it’s simple... it gives them motivation.
just as some people gather stamps from different mountain tops. if there were no stamps, they wouldn’t be so inclined to climb them.

Here's a little trick I learned, and it really helped me, so try to take it heart:
"If one person is an asshole to you, they're the asshole. If ten people are an asshole to you, you're the asshole."

This, i find it satisfying to add books to my read list, and it motivates me to read a certain amount of books per year.

But reading in itself is the pleasure. If you need to incentivize reading, I am sure there are some primary school reading programs that award colorful erasers, stickers, etc. for Very Good Boys. Perhaps you could become associated with such programs.

I think having the list public is incentive for simple-minded people who like to believe others will watch their every move and envy their lives. It stems from growing up in the hyper reality TV/social media environment.

Also, books are not trophies or Pokemon to collect. Perhaps you aren't ready to read just yet.