Do all figs have wasps in them?

>Do all figs have wasps in them?
>If a female burrows into a female fig, she can't lay her eggs and dies of starvation. However, she does bring pollen into the internal flowers of the fig, pollinating it. ... So yes, there is at least one dead wasp inside the figs that we like to eat.

aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FLSge-ojxJc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wasps are good for you, they're high in protein. Just remember to remove the legs, stinger, and wings so you don't cut your throat

Honestly, i don't care, figs are great.

>figs have wasps
I never paid attention to any of the figs i ate and i don't give a fuck to be honest.

Cant be right.

>eat fig
>see no wasps

What kind of second rate figs am I being sold, Veeky Forums? I hate wasps and want to genocide them. Can I accomplish this by eating 1000 figs a day?

If you kill all the wasps, figs will die out as well.

What compels a wasp to burrow in a fig exactly

>vegans in denial

Seek help. What the fuck do you think they are vegans?

A necessary sacrifice.

>female wasp goes into fig
>lays eggs
>wings get torn off so she can't get out of fig
>dies
>eggs hatch
>hatched males mate with hatched females
>digs hole out of fig for females
>females fly out
>males have no wings
>males die

FUCK YEAH NATURE

fresh figs are fucking delicious
It's a shame they're so hard to find, even in season.

>I don't give a fuck when I accidentally eat a wasp
>calls me a vegan
are you ok in the head?

evolution

iirc, enzymes within the fig dissolve the wasp and convert it to nutrients. Basically a long slow version of a Venus fly trap.

A fig is an inside out flower
Or outside in rather

wtf I love figs even more

>dissolve the wasp and convert it to nutrients.
Figs are savage af.

>It's a shame they're so hard to find, even in season.
I didn't even get any this year. Rare to find them in stores. Fresh taste nothing like the dried ones, though both are delicious. Fresh fig is one of my favorite fruits but you have to perform a dance ritual to pagan gods to find any for purchase.
Is there any alcohol that is made from figs?

These are non-commercial even ancient figs which would have had such pollination practices

the common fig only needs wasps to produce seeds not figs. If you've ever eaten figs you've eaten them without seeds. fucking random ass wasps don't live everywhere figs have been transported.

The proper way to eat a fig, in society,
Is to split it in four, holding it by the stump,
And open it, so that it is a glittering, rosy, moist, honied, heavy-petalled four-petalled flower.

Then you throw away the skin
Which is just like a four-sepalled calyx,
After you have taken off the blossom, with your lips.

But the vulgar way
Is just to put your mouth to the crack, and take out the flesh in one bite.

Every fruit has its secret.

The fig is a very secretive fruit.
As you see it standing growing, you feel at once it is symbolic :
And it seems male.
But when you come to know it better, you agree with the Romans, it is female.

The Italians vulgarly say, it stands for the female part ; the fig-fruit :
The fissure, the yoni,
The wonderful moist conductivity towards the centre.

Involved,
Inturned,
The flowering all inward and womb-fibrilled ;
And but one orifice.

The fig, the horse-shoe, the squash-blossom.
Symbols.

There was a flower that flowered inward, womb-ward ;
Now there is a fruit like a ripe womb.

It was always a secret.
That’s how it should be, the female should always be secret.

My grandmother had a fig tree in the front lawn of her house. I can remember how much I loved those fresh figs. Plus she used to make jelly out of them and can it. Was incredible on toast

>all that text
just wash the fig and eat it whole you fucking pussy.

It's a poem you illiterate scum.

>savage af.

>wash the fig
Get a load of this sissy

My grandpa had a fig tree and it was loaded with seeds

the the female wasp undergoes a life cycle in then fruit itself?

>wasp forcefully penetrates fruit and rots inside
>male enters to reproduce also dying inside
>their wings are ripped off so they die never knowing freedom again
>we eat the fruit
Brutal.

Actually the males fuck their sisters before they hatch. A male never really leaves the fig. The closest he gets is burrowing to the outside to allow the females out before he dies. This doesn’t make much sense to me tho, since it would mean fig wasps are all inbred and wouldn’t allow for much genetic diversity, unless two females made their way into the same fig and both laid eggs in there.

>Is there any alcohol that is made from figs?
Sure.
There is alcohol that is made from basically everything.

I'm no geneticist, but a lot of species can get away with severe inbreeding for many generations. Most species don't file taxes though.

Even with humans, a single incidence of first-cousin incest isn't likely to result in any sort of abnormality, or so they say. And our gene-structure has been fucked to hell and back due to severe near-apocalyptic events in the past.

Yes but this is a species who seems to always have brothers mating with their sisters. Then again I guess ants kind of do the same thing, and ants are defendants from wasps. I’m sure evolution figured something out for them.

Some figs are self pollinating and do not need wasps, but the best varieties definitely have dead wasps inside.

youtube.com/watch?v=FLSge-ojxJc
This thread needs a theme song.

IIRC, all cheetahs are related fairly closely.

Incestuous, underage, snuff orgy? Man, I love how nature always manages to find new ways to give me a boner.

>he doesn't wash his figs
enjoy eating Monsanto's pesticides and your inevitable infertility

Yeah but that's because the cheetah population bottlenecked really fucking hard at one point fairly recently so the current genepool is all drawn from just a handful of animals.

This is not okay

>hard to find, even in season
Where?

IDGAF about dead wasps
what really don't like are alive ones

>ew wasps are gross to eat
>man I sure love shrimp, I'll just eat the hole thing, legs and all

>I don’t like dogs or wasps.

Double win for me I guess?

So every single fig gets pollinated? You'd think if one fig on the plant gets pollinated the whole tree does as well.

An outside in is the same as an inside out

No you wouldn't

If I have wasp dreams tonight I will find you and I will be your personal wasp

Please learn basic biology

FOR WHAT PURPOSE!?

I have a fig tree. The answer is some do and some don’t.

Parthenocarpic figs with a closed eye will never have wasps in them. Not only can the wasps not enter the closed eye fig, but parthenocarpic fig varieties are the only figs that can be grown in regions lacking the pollinator (wasp). Ants will still be able to locate the eye, manually open it, and feed on the insides - so parthenocarpic figs may sometimes contain ants.

Used to grow commercially

You seem knowledgable. What varieties of figs should i look to acquire? Im in Mediterranean type climate.

You seem to know a lot about figging user.

Didn't you get the memo? We are normies now

I live in WA and there is always an abundance of figs during summertime at every local grocer

you think that it is the males that orivude most genetic diversity?

If you're buying figs from the market, you have nothing to be concerned about, there won't be any wasps.

But we do it ironically, of course.

>fresh fig
with some chevre and lemon zest please

Come on

Based Lawrence

No, they wouldn't. Let me put it this way; if a woman was fertilised, does that mean her sisters are pregnant too?

I have 2 fig trees and I never even see wasps near it

Usually a tree has flowers that get pollinated and once they are the fruits produce seeds. Are there other trees that get every fruit pollinated individually?

I dont care about super market figs. I want to grow top tier varieties. In my current home i grow no less than 50 different fruit varieties.

This year i am trying to expand into figs, mulberries, blueberries, raspberries, and grapes.

snarky Veeky Forums is my favourite

What do fresh figs taste like, Veeky Forums? I’ve only ever had fig newtons

can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet, but even if your fig contains a wasp, the wasps that pollenate figs are around 1.5 mm long. you woul barely even be able to see it with your naked eye

being snarky doesn't make them wrong but you being dumb does

They don't just grow figs out in the open to get pollinated do they?
I thought this only applies to wild figs.
Figs are expensive man.

>does that mean her sisters are pregnant too?
Yes
Sincerely, Mike Pence

They taste like fig newtons

I'm not sure but I don't think those wasps survive in colder climates. I've never noticed any wasps in or near my Fig trees.

Where are you, mate? I harvested 20+ liters (5 gal) from one tree last season. Turkey figs. Want a couple of cuttings?

Fig brandy. Flavor is really strong though.

It has something to do with mating IIRC.

AaaaaaaaAaaaAaaaaaaaaaAaAAaaaaaaaaaa!!
FUCK OFF.

nice
but as mentioned already, I eat figs whole
and people sometimes look at me funny for that, can you imagine
>fuckin pesticides
which is understandable and maybe true even
>but I'll defeat those if I wash the fig
this though isn't

>this though isn't
are you that soccer mom who has to wash her fruits with soap before eating them?