Is anime actually the antidote for postmodernism? I mean, anime often extols things like tradition and honor...

Is anime actually the antidote for postmodernism? I mean, anime often extols things like tradition and honor, and postmodernism goes against those things because postmodernism believes in nothing. Anyway, any good Jordan Peterson videos on anime?

no. anime is escapism

isn't all entertainment escapism?

Maybe, but good anime is pretty much trad lit.

no, it's just that the japs are big on tradition and honor and respecting the elderly and stuff like that because post-modernism is metropolistic and japan has a lot of people in smaller cities and villages

Long as you stay clear of NGE. I think that's post modern.

>tradition and honor

lolis, harem, plane characters, tits, retarded fights

99% of anime is trash

Is this bait

Japan is metropolistic as fuck dude

Am I kawaii amerika-kun

Are you not aware that you are on a website for autists and weirdos?

Grown men watching anime. My God.

There is a lot of potential in the medium, but it's mostly a cesspool where anything good, like OP's pic, hogs all the attention. In other words, Anime is like a nigger-infested inner-city where an otherwise ordinary upstanding citizen gets a headline for having bare-minimum human-decency.

entertainment, yes. Art no.

no it's not. It involves no thinking for oneself.

Honestly, if anyone ever says anime extols things like tradition and honor, all anyone can ever possibly imagine is the protagonist or the protagonist's friend or the villain or the love interest of the anime having a soliloquy where the camera pans in and they're serious and somber, saying trite lines like: "This is all that matters in the world. The politics and reformation of the past pale when compared to the current generation's power to rebel. I have spent my entire life dedicated to this, and Higawaki Peepi did not die in vain." There is no thinking for oneself. There is no poetry. All one has to do is open up the complete works of Shakespeare to see my point proven. For further proof, gather up everyone who likes anime and take a good honest look at their character and build. I'll be the first to admit that an unhealthy handful of readers too fall into the category of skinny, weak, feeble-jawed unwilling to hold a decent conversation or go outside, and celibate not because of their "choice," but undoubtedly an objectively great man of this world is not someone who watches anime. I remember someone claiming Berserk was up there with the pinnacle of art, because of its metaphysics. Give me a fucking break.

the japanese are notoriously infantile so sure it makes sense that people hopping onto the anti-pomo bandwagon would watch anime

>postmodernism believes in nothing.

But I thought modernism did that

The best anime (and visual novel) is Clannad. It is about the value of collectivism and its various manifestations, primarily the family unit.

I like Dezaki, Yuasa and Ikuhara anime

totally Veeky Forums

Is this bait?

>99%

That number is way too low.

This is bait.

>This is bait.
It is not bait. Do you dispute that Clannad is about collectivism?

Can you really argue that it's not trad lit?

Pretty much, but they're the only ones who actually have good writing.

So this is the power of Veeky Forums.

Is postmodernism even a problem in need of curing? It seems to be dying on its own, as increasingly fewer people are familiar with the works of the modernists and postmodernists.

Western intellectuals tend to dislike anime because ever since the XIXth century creativity and the avant-garde has been associated in Western mind with the breaking of sexual taboos, maturity associated with sexual experience, profundity with promiscuity and so on.

When they see anime that puts a lot of emphasis on purity they think it's naive and infantile. Much better to read Bukowski and watch some French film with random sex scenes, like a smart person would do.

But people who don't watch anime would associate it with promiscuity and sexual fetishism before 'purity' though.

I don't think "purity" exists within the western intellectual landscape at all these days, so I'm not sure that matters.

As others have said it is basically escapism. One of the worst forms really, extreme idealism. It really lacks any semblance of realism. So yes, you can think of postmodernism as dealing with reality through a lens of depth, interconnectedness, context and specificity. While notions like tradition and honour are more removed from reality. Settling in stability and understanding, though superficial (largely ignores reality). Anime is very much like this, in the very structure of the whole medium. Every anime is a cut&paste affair, once you've watched a few series you can pretty much predict how another will play out, know exactly what the characters are and how they will develop, discern the moralistic positions and the pseudophilosophical tirades. Though it's probably just a reflection of the hierarchical and naive parts of the Japanese mentality, not necessarily specific reflection but simply what has been established as industry standard.

>post-modernism is metropolistic and japan has a lot of people in smaller cities and villages
No, Japan has very dense population due to such high population and no land. Almost everyone lives in dense, coastal modern cities. The rural areas further bled dry by lack of work and general life opportunities, meaning the youth migrate to the huge cities. Over 30 million live in Tokyo alone. About 1/3 of their population live in 3 cities.

Anime is consumerist trash.

anime breaks more sexual taboos in a wekk than dumb westener breaks in whole life
anime kill moralist.

>tfw cannot discern whether this post is satire or not

>Honestly, if anyone ever says anime extols things like tradition and honor, all anyone can ever possibly imagine is the protagonist or the protagonist's friend or the villain or the love interest of the anime having a soliloquy where the camera pans in and they're serious and somber, saying trite lines like: "This is all that matters in the world. The politics and reformation of the past pale when compared to the current generation's power to rebel. I have spent my entire life dedicated to this, and Higawaki Peepi did not die in vain." There is no thinking for oneself. There is no poetry.

This guy is right

Dont diss bait if you havent been caught

I've seen some weebfaggot in a week or so old thread complaining about canonical literature being slow paced. If anything, anime transforms people into Murakami fans.

was going to say this.

EVERYTHING IS ESCAPISM. EVEN LITERATURE. THERE ARE ONLY VARIOUS DEGREES OF ESCAPISM.

Lone wolf and cub is good litterature, fight me.

>lone wolf and cub
>anime

the manga is a masterpice

True but (good) literature at least kick you back to the real world after you've finished with it.
That can't be said of anime/video games where you're only left hanging for more.

One exception I've seen : Strongest man kurosawa

Thanks God I'm not you.

Why would postmodernism need a cure ? If you can refute them then go ahead and prove them wrong, otherwise just leave them be, they're not really relevant.

But what is "escapism"?

Okay. Anime is too escapist then. Also, if everything is escapism, then nothing is escapism.

Every activity is escapism. From consumption of art, to travelling, to work. Maybe writing is the purest form of escapism; or rather, the only positive form of escapism.