Veeky Forums meta thread

Veeky Forums went through many social changes throughout the past few years, but this latest iteration is the worst by far.

Veeky Forums went from being:
>half-decent discussion by people who at least tried to give a shit about literature.
>decent, but at least well discussed memes.
and finally to
>memes for the sake of memes, as well as generals.

I fear that this board is dead.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=yes&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=for this feel&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=yes&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My ex girlfriend used to browse Veeky Forums so I KNOW there are girls here. I demand that girls post their locations and phone numbers regularly so we can try dating them.

It's actually much better than it was 6-12 months ago. Poltards and Memerson threads are still here, but less obnoxious. Overall bretty good. Still the best board by a mile.
>generals are bad
Literal autism. Containment tools only make boards better.

Yes, that's true, but you still have to keep in mind that most of the threads aren't about discussing certain books or other things about literature; instead they're just stale, reused discussions that have happened a thousand times before. The very definition of a meme.

We need more anime threads.

This is a really good

My current gf reads genre shit I wouldn't even read when I was twelve. It sucks but what can you do? At least she reads but damn. I wish I could find a cutie pie open to reading something like the grapes of wrath.

t. reddit tourist who has been here for a month

>My ex girlfriend used to browse Veeky Forums
How the fuck does this happen. Be honest was she uhm average looking?

>open to reading something like the grapes of wrath.
Low standard gotta start with Kierkegaard get them tempered by fire

I disagree with OP about it actually being good in the past, but can you point to one active thread were there's...any 'discussion' going on at all? And I don't mean 'this is better than this better than that' type shit.

Splitting literature and philosophy was a mistake as philosophy can only be shared through the written form in an intelligible enough format.

The meta should be changed to accomodate this fact lest we become what we hate: r/books

Have you ever tried getting a gril to read something philosophical? I rest my case. Grapes of wrath is excellent for at least starting down the road. The ending can be discussed for years.

I like the winter of our discontent better, though.

No. My dick tried to crawl back into my abdomen everytime we had to do the dirty.

fuckin lmao

ahaha I appreciate the honesty

I keep trying to leave this damn board, but it pulls you in

I haven't been here too long, but I've been around since 2014.

This. References to philosophy outside of the framework of literature tends to lead to more name-dropping, which of course descends into shitposting eventually. Just look at Veeky Forums.

Mods should ban shitjewposters, or at the very least they should open a new confinement board for them to badly discuss Jewry in literature, history and so on. They should still not censor good anti-semitic posts, but if someone posts "WOW HE IS A JEW" in a Spinoza thread fuck him, just ban that motherfucker.

Let's be real, has anyone ever actually seen any change made to this site as a result of one of these meta thread? Because I haven't. They only exist for people to vent about how much they hate what the board has become.

Here is the one thing you can do if you want to make a meta thread productive: You can agree to actually start reporting certain posts. The reason shitposts don't get deleted as much as they should is because nobody takes the time to report them. I've had numerous cases where a rule-breaking thread has been sitting on the board for hours, I report it, and suddenly it's gone. So start reporting shit.

OP here. This is a good idea. We should first start to trim the fat by reporting more shitposts, and we should all start posting more original threads about actual literature we're reading, not just Harry Potter and GoT threads.

Is it that effective? Because if it is your post should be stickied.

>70% of my classmates in university (philosophy major) are female
>some are real cuties and into heidegger, plato, marx and gramsci
>I have sex with none of them

Dan Schneider here. NO antisemitism should be tolerated, you fucking goys. NOBODY SHOULD EVER BE ABLE TO INSULT THE MASTER RACE

Ban baiters
Ban liberals/retards
Ban nazis
Ban e-celeb threads
Ban Nietzsche threads ( twice in a month is ok )
Ban Greeks threads ( same thing as above )

There, I solved Veeky Forums

Back before himasugi and ota-ch raided /qa/ we used to use that board to essentially crowdsource reports. It was scarily effective. But some people want this site to be a lawless wasteland so they do everything they can to put a stop to it.

For the record I got a warn earlier for my quality shitpost "What is the Dark Souls of literature?" so that shows you that there are indeed mods here and they will take action if people actually bother to report shitposts. I'm not complaining by the way, I wish shit like that would get deleted more often.

You won't keep keep getting away with this!

I'm glad to see that you agree, but one must keep in mind that it is us, the posters, who ultimately decide how good the content is.

I actually don't think that's true.

ban americans
ban ban american posters

If you want a place where everything is heavily censored you could always try reddit.

m8 we're not getting rid of the Dreyfusards just so you don't have to read Proust.

the le reddit boogieman pls

We know it was you, Dan! Weinstein was just the fall guy!

generals kill discussion, fucking kys

For example, with enough reports this post would likely be deleted because I've seen the mods are sick and tired of the reddit boogeyman.

Yet oddly enough the use of the /pol/ boogeyman is allowed to persist.

What about
>any books for this feel?
Threads?
I really doubt the OP of those types of threads is even going to bother looking up the many suggestions they get and just wants to vent about something.

uhm, i wonder (((why)))

it's always been pretty shit senpai, the shit just takes different forms

this one is the worst though, by far. I want /pol/ to leave

(((Schneider)))

Wow. This only happens to me when I feel like I want to kill someone.

You're on Veeky Forums lad it's very rare to find decent discussion and even on this board it was never too common

these are exactly my thoughts, every meta thread I see just seems like ledditors complaining about content they don't like
the easiest thing to do is ignore and report it

also remember to use sage if you really HAVE to reply

We cannot forcefully ban the people we don't like that would turn this into an echochamber like reddit, rather we should shitpost and shitmeme on /pol/ threads & co, to make them not feel welcome
or we could you know, make valid arguments against them but i highly doubt people will do that on a bigger scale then what is already happening

Those already tend to get deleted if they're reported.

warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=yes&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

Check out what's been getting deleted on Veeky Forums lately.

Also that's a link of all deleted OPs because I wanted people to see what else has been deleted but here's a link to the "books for this feel" thread getting deleted.

warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=for this feel&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=yes&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

You'll be surprised how quickly /pol/ leaves once the 25th Amendment hits. They won't be able to defend themselves with "We won you lost" anymore and without that they have nothing.

You also have to keep in mind that the user-base of Veeky Forums is relatively small. We would never be able to mount a shitposting attack on /pol/.

OH NO LE DRUMPF WON BUT WE'LL GET RID OF HIM NO DOUBT! xD

Hahahahahaha!!!! You can't catch me!

I'M DAN "CATCH ME IF YOU CAN" SCHNEIDER!!!

you're sick, dan. you need help

Haha I know you're being sincere because you said 'had'

He doesn't mean "raid /pol/ guys!". He means that any time people post some dumb politically-oriented bait here on Veeky Forums, we destroy their arguments and basically just laugh them out of the board. Worked on other boards. There's certain boards that people are scared to go on because they've gotten owned so hard.

Can you give a year timeline for these assertions? I'm inclined to take the 'Veeky Forums was never good' stance and say that you're better memories of this place are coated in some form of nostalgia

Besides book recommendations I can't see how this place (along with all of the boards) were ever any good

your*

Well, of course it was never very good. But the proportion of people discussing literature was still higher than it is today.

You're going down, Dan. It's just a matter of time.

It's really just small. Every time I get into a legit discussion about poetic styles in poetry threads I eventually realize it's one of a couple of the same people

I'd speculate that's because only a couple people on this board are into poetry and most of them come here for the meme threads. I've found that even on a faster board, like /tv/, when I try to discuss certain lesser known films like Paterson, I end up discussing them with the same people. Most people on /tv/ gravitate to the threads about the latest /pol/-related occurrence, like some celebrity calling out Trump or the Weinstein drama.

Laugh, laugh, laugh. Keep laughing, because you don't have much time left to laugh. Get in all the laughter while you can. Soon, very soon, you won't be laughing.

>Soon, very soon, you won't be laughing.
Yes, that's what happens after you get in all the laughter you can.

Makes sense, but it's a damn shame really. I get this isn't a serious site but there are clearly some intelligent and wise people here that would make great conversation if it wasn't for oceans of shit separating them.

You're a sick fucker, Dan. And you won't get away with it.

that's because all the people who actually know things get tired of babying all the young people around here and leave after kids who don't know shit think they're experts on everything because they read an article about it, which is a large majority of people here.

when you actually become knowledgable about and read into a subject and try to talk about it here you realize quickly how everyone flounders around the subject and can't really do much beyond talking shit like a child

we used to have some real knowledgable people to talk about poetry with, but they either rarely ever post anymore (and you tend to recognize these people when they do post) or they just don't waste their time here at all

>make a thread asking why I should read books when I can just read analysis of the books instead
>it's deleted while dozens of worse threads are left up
k

Fuck these meta threads. Just people endlessly complaining how the board needs to change, change, change. Maybe it doesn't need to change.

I agree completely. I genuinely enjoy some of the discussion on this site but to get to it you have to deal with a bunch of people who are bound and determined to drown out that discussion as obnoxiously as possible. Some might call it a "test" but it's really just an annoyance to deal with. And yet, there's no better option for truly anonymous discussion.

>we could you know, make valid arguments against them
Tried to do this a couple of times. From my experience they either call you a Jew or strawman your points with a bad greentext and call you a shill and blatantly ignore what you said. Arguing with a /pol/tard feels like a pointless war of attrition.

Every single problem with every single board amounts to the same thing, which is the userbase. You can't change it, so you can't change the board, it's a pointless endeavor.

The mods deleted that piece of shit?

I'm happy.

>instead they're just stale, reused discussions that have happened a thousand times before.
That's because contemporary Veeky Forums is shit, and everybody here knows it. So, we keep discussing the meme classics, philosophy, and poetry. The only time Veeky Forums discusses contemporary shit is when it's a best seller, yet it's so bad like J.K. Rowling or Rupi Kaur, or when it separates the brainlets from the intellectuals like DFW or Pynchon.

/sffg/ discusses plenty of contemporary works happily, and the reason is because they know how to report and ignore shitposting.

>I'm happy.
Then you're easy to please, since the following garbage was left up:

Why must you temp me with such delicious bait? Why! How many fucking times must I remind people who Socrates was and what his beliefs were on such particular subjects. Must I sit you all down for a fucking lecture on why oral examinations are still the highest form of testing anywhere in the world, and how this relates not only to real world philosophy but also academic philosophy as well. I hate how fucking stupid you brilliant people are when it comes to matters of media. I'm beginning to think that there is a direct correlation between you're inability to see that the written language is not superior to oral culture and your inability to have conversations with beautiful women and men. Maybe if you actually tried to seek wisdom rather than expanding you index of memorised word problems and thought experiments you'd be confident enough to approach anyone.

Fucking pitiful losers!

Some of those are already down. I'll report a few of the ones that I see as offensive existences, if that makes you feel better. Shall you do the same, or are you one of those people who complains but never takes action?

>Some of those are already down.
They were deleted seconds after my post.
>I'll report a few of the ones that I see as offensive existences, if that makes you feel better. Shall you do the same, or are you one of those people who complains but never takes action?
I already reported them hours ago.

Hmmm... most of those threads are gone now.

>I already reported them hours ago.
Here's something you might not be aware of, mods like to "clear the queue" every so often so even if you reported a post they may have wiped your report inadvertently. The only way to check is to hit the report button again and see if you're able to report the post again.

Wow, what a shocker! Reporting rule-breaking posts actually works!

Learn to do this more often and we may be able to make a good board out of Veeky Forums yet.

This board was shit on Day 1.

it's actually not that much worse, except for the generally diminished site quality at the hands of the /pol/tards who have infested every board

>stale, reused discussions that have happened a thousand times before. The very definition of a meme.
...but that's not what a meme is...?

Indeed my friend, everyone knows that a meme is an image with white text on it, like a picture of Captain Picard that says "ENGAGE."

I'm trying to figure out why the threads about self-publishing keep getting deleted, even the ones that don't actually link anything so they don't fall under "advertising."

Gonna assume it's a grumpy janny.

>Still the best board by a mile

This is what Veeky Forumsfags actually believe.

p-please don't delete my shit-post

um?

Reddit? (did that work? meep)

Veeky Forums is good. only 3 shitty threads left. but whatever can't be perfect, the public super open nature of Veeky Forums will prevent that order of things, doesn't matters.

because you /pol/tards are sincerly annoying as fuck, worse than /b/ during chanology. Know your place and stay there.

>chanology

What are you going to offer as a better board? /pol/? LOL.

Ooh that reminds me that winter ball is coming pretty soon

not that guy but I'd never post what I think the best board is lest more people start going there

objectively it's probably anywhere that has some natural resistance to /pol/posting

We just have to hope that the mods' policy isn't something as lazy as "check on Veeky Forums one time a day and delete all the bad threads then leave it as a den of shitposting for the rest of the day."

>grapes of wrath
yeah I can't wait to talk to my girlfriend about
>muh driving
>muh california
>muh starving
>muh nickel candy that I bought at a station

at least have her read East of Eden if you're looking for steinbeck

>East of Eden
Yeah I can't wait to talk to his girlfriend about
>...

Oh right, nothing, because the book is about nothing.

>genre shit
What does that even mean?

It's a term snobs use when they want to downplay books they know nothing about that can be categorized under broad genres (fantasy, sci-fi, horror, etc.) as "lesser fiction."

I have a feeling your girlfriend hates you for always being so unrepentantly condescending and constantly belittling her for what she reads. Hell, you're already thinking of cheating on her, which says a lot about your personality, or lack thereof. That relationship isn't going to last.

>deleting BBC cuck threads is a bad thing

I agree, reporting is one good method.

But another one is to actually put effort into each post made, or at least offer something worthwhile even if it's a relevant meme image