"Student please read the next passage of the novel to the class"

>"Student please read the next passage of the novel to the class"
>Passage contains "God damn it"

>student can barely read half the words
>student reads slowly in a monotone voice

tfw you need to read something, but you used so much marijuana that you find every word funny and starts laughing maniacally without being able to explain the reason.

>we were allowed to read the word "nigger" out loud when we read The Cay in fourth grade
>we aren't allowed to read it out loud today in university

>dude weed lmao
Assassinate yourself.

It happens though.

When I was in uni this black girl was doing a presentation and she did exactly that slow monotone speaking. It always stuck with me because she pronounced aspartame as "A Sparta May" which is the most horrible butchering I have ever heard. Don't get me wrong, it's not a racist thing because her presentation was followed by another black girl who spoke extremely eloquently and I was annoyed that I couldn't hear more of her talking because the first one took so long with the presentation that the class was over.

tfw you can't control your emotions and attack another person like a wild animal because the other person doesn't want aggression and just enjoys a little pot

I remember a lot of students reading like that at the university, I don't if they were too shy or just really stupid, but I assume it is a mix

Dude at least a fifth of the students in my course are bordering on fucking illiterate, and nearly all of them reading in that trademarked monotone drawl. This one girl struggles to even read strings of words like "how do you do."

They keep volunteering me to read because I'm one of the only ones who can do a semi-decent job of reading outloud

*read
*out loud
Maybe I shouldn't criticize others' literacy while I'm drunk

Are you an American who studies English at the university?

Psychoanalysis/aesthetics, actually. Close enough, though

Hell, I'm extremely shy but when I got a chance to read Cyrano de Bergerac out loud, I projected my voice and read the hell out of it. People have no excuse.

Do you have an idea on why this is happening?

>teacher would say nigger when we read Huck Finn while reminding us of the context of the book and explaining why it is there
>not allowed to use it in discussions in university
Thank god for academia

I assume something to do with Americans, American education, or my poor choice of an area of study

>have to read a passage from a book in front of the class
>passage has the word nigger

Yeah, you are right. I was somewhat shy during highschool and I remember having no trouble reading as well. I assume they had a little bad basic education. I used to share some classes with history students at the university and when they had to read something, it was completely shameful to the point that others would feel bad for them.

I don't know what dumb fucking universities you went to but mine had no problem with using that word, and it's a university that claims to be one of the most diverse in the country. I start to speculate that this nonsense about universities is a conservative misinformation campaign.

I remember less than a decade ago we were reading Of Mice and Men in English class, when we read out "Nigger" we would giggle and the teacher would acknowledge it and she would enjoy discussing the context with us. God knows what would happen in a lecture hall today if someone said it.

>waaaah why cant they talk to themselves as good as i talk to myself good!

>kids used to learn about the intricate and delicate nature of such words, as well as where and when to use them
>now they get "UMMMMM ESSYOOZ ME? NUH-UH, WHITE BOY. NUH-UH. HELLLL NO."

You aren't shy, you're just a normalfag looking for attention, contrary to what 'shy' means.

It's the teacher in my case, not the university
I'm sure if i used it in the classroom the university wouldn't give two shits but the teacher would hate me and make it his mission to fuck me

They're middle-to-upper-middle-class American students coming from perfectly adequate educational backgrounds, taking a class in a field of study that will be absolutely useless to them if they can't read, write, or articulate themselves. That warrants some shock, as well as sympathy

>Don't get me wrong, it's not a racist thing
kill thyneself

>I start to speculate that this nonsense about universities is a conservative misinformation campaign.
LOL. imagine being this far removed from reality.

>everybody in university is middle to upper-middle class
Fucker I've been homeless at one point and not much better off for the rest of my years until I moved out at 16, and I can "read, write, [and] articulate myself". I'm just awful at speaking, at all.
Maybe you should drop the act, you teenage Jungian, and stop pretending that you're special because you can read to yourself real good yeah i talk GOOD
My ass, you are delusional.

I would kill to be as blissfully ignorant as you
They passed these flyers out at orientation week at my school this year. New students were told to write down what they would do to keep to those expectations on a piece of paper to keep.
A student representative then proceeded to talk to the entire new student body from a stage and off-handedly told white girls not to wear hoop earrings. This shit is very, very, very real.

>I can articulate myself
>I'm just awful at speaking
maybe the english language just isn't for you

What happened to your thumb?

>I've been homeless at one point and not much better off for the rest of my years until I moved out at 16, and I can "read, write, [and] articulate myself"
I'm not sure what you thought you were doing but you just proved my point, it's baffling that these kids can't write.

>I'm just awful at speaking, at all.
1. These kids can't read OR write
2. Most people, clearly not you, who can write fluently and articulately can also speak articulately, unless they have a speech impediment or sever shyness

hurt while skating

Not my pic, it's a schoolmate's

which one is true?
if the second is speaking the truth, could please ask your mate what's that?
thanks

I'm not sure why someone answered for me, but it's obviously not true since that's clearly the remnants of fingernail polish in the pic

>me
published
>you
incel who couldn't even get a mass shooting claim published, but can speak REAL GOOD
How do you know they can't write? A mistaken correlation between speaking and writing?
Unless you're a TA or your professor is big on peer-review, then you don't have any evidence.
I'd like to note that I have done plenty of peer-review, and everything I've read has been absolutely terrible. Yet, these people are articulate and can at least read faster than I can (frankly, I don't know if they just marathon through because I don't and try to make certain that I understand what I'm reading -- but beside the point.)
Whether I know that my 'peers' can write or not, however, does not reveal anything about yours.

>t. speech impediment, poor vocabulary, and low self-confidence

>or your professor is big on peer-review
That's exactly what she is.
>then you don't have any evidence.
Yes I do
>I'd like to note that I have done plenty of peer-review, and everything I've read has been absolutely terrible. Yet, these people are articulate and can at least read faster than I can
...okay? Most of these kids are both terrible at writing AND terrible at reading. What is your point?

My vocabulary isn't poor, and I'm bordering on trilingual.
It's not that I have a speech impediment or low self-confidence, rather that I was molested in a mall bathroom and yelled at a lot (usually for talking) in general, mostly by my mother who has a grizzly's roar.
>What is your point?
You were claiming, or at least insinuating, that you are a good reader. Yet you could not follow the argument of my post, which was clearly following the assumption that you have not read these people's writings.

I will no longer discuss with you, u are completely moronic

>"read the poem, student"
>pauses at the end of each line and mumbles through commas

>4th grade
>class taking turns reading one paragraph at a time, then calling on someone for the next paragraph
>user, it's your turn!
>start reading
>teacher gets a phone call and steps out
>panic
>start the next paragraph
>then the one after that
>read 72 pages of Charlotte's Web before the principal comes in saying the teacher's dad had had a heart attack
>laugh aloud because he said "had had"
>everyone stares

>rather that I was molested in a mall bathroom and yelled at a lot (usually for talking) in general, mostly by my mother who has a grizzly's roar.

This is the half-fabricated expiatory lie of an attic-dwelling mediocrity. Literally garrote yourself

>Says his vocabulary isn't poor
>Doesn't know what 'articulate' means
>I was molested in a mall bathroom and yelled at a lot (usually for talking) in general, mostly by my mother who has a grizzly's roar.
lol

>wah how could somebody possibly not live the privileged life ive had I READ GOOD REAL GOOD AND I FUCK PUSSY GOOD
>he thinks 'articulate' only applies to speech

>>wah how could somebody possibly not live the privileged life ive had I READ GOOD REAL GOOD AND I FUCK PUSSY GOOD

You're a pathetic retard who wants pity from strangers on an anonymous image board, a schizophrenic, or a troll. I think it's the third

And you're a plebbitor. Please go back before Mother catches you on an 18+ website

no it's not I hurt my finger skating

What's your angle here pal

>he thinks 'articulate' only applies to speech
It's not that I "think" that, it's the truth.
I can't wait to see your gross misreading of the [unused] 2nd Transitory Verb definition.

>she pronounced aspartame as "A Sparta May
sounds japanese

Nice try Schlomo

>the truth
Yes, attest to academics rather than the word in use. You read good! you get reward! $10,000 student loan!

from the rape story i assumed you were trolling, but decided i would enlighten others perusing the thread as to the true meaning of the word 'articulate'; now that my object is fulfilled, i shall disengage.

I have said fuck, nigger, slut, cunt, and faggot while reading aloud for my short fiction class. Its a class of 8 and most everyone skips over the curse words except me. Feels good man.

>The Cay

Interesting. I hadn't heard of that book until I saw it while working as a page recently. Checked it out, started to read it - pretty good - meaning to get back to it.

Are you going to be alright on your own, user? Should we call someone?

Dude you're such a brave soul for saying those curse words out loud when nobody else could. I bet whenever someone skipped over a curse word you interrupted them and filled it in for them. "Faggot!" "Nigger!!!" I want to suck your cock you fucking badass.

>know that no one has a problem with it but still can't help reading it awkwardly

>someone actually going to a university being far removed from the reality of university

The only sjwy one there is we use chosen names and pronouns, but it's not imperative and if you want to make a case to not do so, make that case to your fellow students

Thanks for the laugh haha

>The only sjwy one there is we use chosen names and pronouns,
Ah you poor thing, simply keep your eyes open and you'll see it's much worse than that
>we acknowledge the land & space we occupy
This alludes to the fact that Native Americans used to live here. At this school, every public event lead by the faculty begins with giving a short speech about how we are standing on stolen land and how it's our duty to decolonize it. The students and faculty most adamant about sticking to that ritual are all more white than Native American, by blood
>we honor all of our identities
"You are not allowed to in any way question someone else's self-reported identity." And I know it's a bit of a tired point but this blatantly ignores the fact that identities are collaboratively formed through compromise between an individual and the community, it is not a "because I say so" kind of thing.
>we acknowledge privilege & oppression
Beyond acknowledging that these things exist, this also means that you are not allowed to ever question any statement out privilege and/or oppression, particularly if you are white/cis/straight/etc. At orientation week they genuinely told new students that when listening to someone tell their personal stories (see: how they've been oppressed and disadvantaged), to treat it like they're telling you about their dream: don't doubt it or make a fuss, just nod your head and believe them.

>but it's not imperative and if you want to make a case to not do so, make that case to your fellow students
I don't think you understand just how suicidal that would be here

Unless you're a raging illiterate /pol/lack, you should be able to just defend your points, make sure they're bulletproof and well made. You definitely won't make friends and you'll probably lose friends, but you won't get expelled or overtly hated. If your points and their justifications are weak, you will be ripped apart though.
t. Radical centrist living meme in a uni with some opinions that are very controversial.

I didn't know the speech thing, but that one is pretty sjwy, I'll admit

Honour is not the same as not being able to question. If you're questioning like a retard, and you come in straight with "THERE ARE ONLY TWO GENDERS, DEGENERACY!! 1!" you will be ostracised obviously. Question gently and sapiently

That orientation week thing sounds pretty bad as well, but it has its good points - it forces a higher level of discourse on your part, since you have to question incisively and sparsely, and you'll learn about the opposing viewpoint in depth too.

I'll admit, from your reports it's worse than I thought, but that's based on information I couldn't have had purely from the poster. But just don't be retarded and you'll be fine and be able to converse about your opinions, but less implicitly. Make sure to stress you're playing devils advocate if you're positing something wild

Schizo

Kek, maybe dont go to shit tier schools? I went to an extemely liberal uni and the professors would get mad at students who wouldn't say nigger when reading text that uses it, or in discussions specifically about the word. This black guy got mad about it once, and the teacher pointed out that sterilizing the word by talking about it in a strict, academic sense is a way to rob it of its power. He seemed to be satisfied with that explanation.

Please tell us what school this is, so I can make sure my younger cousins don't apply there.

and where do you go, cc? you are hilariously out of touch. the ivy leagues, ostensibly americas intellectual vanguard, are completely overrun by this shit, as is every university ive ever had the displeasure of visiting.

im sure your inferiority complex is already furiously cooking up some anti-ivy zinger; just know your feelings have no impact on reality.

>Teacher always calls on the student that can barely read in order to make him practice