Be honest, do you consider duolingo (app) a useful tool to learn a new language??????????????

Be honest, do you consider duolingo (app) a useful tool to learn a new language??????????????
>do you know if there is something similar for those interested in learning >Latin????????????

I think it can be a good tool for starting out and for learning basic vocabulary. However, it shouldnt be the only tool you use. As for Latin, I dont think theres an app like duo lingo, but all you really need is a copy of Wheelocks Latin and a copy of Lingua Latina Per Illustrata (both can be found free online). That said, there are TONS of online resources for Latin so just google around to see if theres anything interesting.

I have been spending a hour a day on Duolinguo (German) for a bit more than a month. And I can already decypher press articles and watch some movies with English subs.

You can do it, user

Yeah, it's great, just don't remain limited to only Duolingo, supplement it with several other language learning sources. Not sure for Latin though, I am studying German there

thanks for the suggestions

have you used anything other than duolingo?
Because these are some really impressive results for someone who's only doing it for a bit more than a month

just get a copy of Wheelock's Latin or Learn to Read Latin...if you read it and do the exercises you'll learn fine

>do you know if there is something similar for those interested in learning
>Latin????????????

>>>>

Do the Cambridge latin course and learn about caecilius et metella like a good schoolboy

Duolingo is pretty bad. Used it for German and I didn't have a very high retention rate with it

I just started the German tree two days ago. Do you use Duolingo as a supplement? Or did you get to where you are now by solely using it?

Memrise>>>Duolingo

could you elaborate on that?

>62% in a month.

I have been doing Duolingo French for like a year and a half on and off and i'm only 59%. I have completed the entire tree and am currently doing about 15 strengthen exercises per day to get gold for everything. I'm 2/3 through now.

By the way OP, it is a great tool for language learning. Another low-effort way of learning is to turn on French subs for YouTube videos or any movies you're watching.

I am watching movies in German subtitled in English on Netflix and reading/decyphering the Der Spiegel meanwhile.

I am hoping to be conversational by january.

Pasta this, mate.

Yeah, pretty much. I learned English by browsing Veeky Forums daily and using Duolingo/Rosetta Stone

Bitte hör auf den Spiegel zu lesen. Oder, at the very least, lies ihn bloß um Ihn zu verstehen, nicht aufgrund der Artikel.

OP hier.

Ich lese was mag. Der Spiegel veilleicht ist eine linke Zeitung, aber es ist perfekt für lernen. Geh zurück zu / pol /

No it isn't. I'm a leftist myself, so that's not the issue here. The issue is that Der Spiegels's quality is getting worse each year. As I said, if it's or learning only, go on, but you should have a look at other publications as well. Read some daily newspapers. If you like Science, listen to Rainer Mausfeld. Read Hesse.

I used the Spuegel as an example. Ofc i read further than that.

lies doch Junge Freiheit

i tried learning french with duolingo but ended up paying for frantastique

its expensive (i now pay 21/month) but its so much better than duolingo

How good is translating and memorizing lyrics of songs you really like and keep coming back to as a method of language learning? Really into Brassens lately

You need immersion. Or simulated immersion.
Duolingo does not emulate it - doesn't even attempt to.
And worse it doesn't provide concise grammar.

You can learn and memorize grammar, but you need simulated immersion to learn vocabulary and phrases
The only way to really do that is setting of the exercise (in the literary sense) and video / audio from natives. organic conversations, etc.
Unless you're autistic enough to do these things in your head.

I feel like an augmented reality or video game designed to teach a language by walking through settings, like a coffee shop etc, would be best. supplemented by grammar.
but, no one really offers anything like that. You would learn more in a month in France than 2 years sitting on duolingo.

This is just the dumbest thing I've ever read. Almost as stupid as when I read how much better anki is.

there are also various chat clients of people shitposting around the world so one thing you can do is

>browse image board in chosen language like brchan or whatever
>once you can read/write good enough, then join discord etc. from that site
>post all day with brazilians and remind them 7-1 never forget in voice calls after listening for a bit