Got pic related today. What should I expect?

Got pic related today. What should I expect?

Nice companion to Herodotus. The Speeches are really good.

I'm reading it right now, it's a masterpiece.

>What should I expect?
A history of the Peloponnesian War

The pleb of the era, Herodotus was way better.
Sucks Athenian dick like a fiend.

His fanboys are fedora tier. Kys Thusissy cucks

>Sucks Athenian dick like a fiend.

Confirmed for either not reading it or being too much of a brainlet to get it.

Best work on humans ever written.
Expect every fiction author you ever respected, from Homer to Dostoevsky, to be BTFO.

>the Funeral Oration

-Athens:
>Dude, we're not gonna pretend to be on the right now, we're just using tyrannical means to increase our power because we're afraid of being attacked.
-Everyone else:
>We gotta attack Athens before they attack us, we might think this conflict doesn't concern us but in reality the Athenian Empire will keep growing and if we don't help stop them now we might be next.

There you go, more than half the book.

I see you are a man of culture as well.

Simply this. When near the conclusion I got chills while being keenly aware that this was one of the best books that I would probably ever read. What a fucking ending..
>tfw Nicias..
incomprehensible--.

which should be read first, the greek plays or herodotus and thucydides? i've always seen plays > herodotus > thucydides but saw an user going apeshit because someone suggest to read the plays before the historians

There are some plays you won't get unless you understand the historical context like The Persians.

>companion to Herodotus

Don't read that lying hack, you're supposed to go from Thucidides straight to Xenophon, and you won't be sorry.

Fette is best girl

dont root for the delian league

>Don't read that lying hack,
He said Herodotus not Homer

> lying hack

Herodotus was only going by his understandings at the time, as well as what other people believed. It's less accurate but it's certainly worth reading to see the odd tales people believed to be factual.

Homer, Aristophanes, Euripides and Aeschylus aren't going to be difficult to read on their own but you would benefit if you understood the historical contexts of their texts.

Some baller (smash dat mf like) monologues

>calls herodotus a hack but recommends xenophon

wew