Are truffles worth it considering how expensive they are, or are they just a food meme?

Are truffles worth it considering how expensive they are, or are they just a food meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CDfZOTNS1q4#t=2m5
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

depends if you like them

Talk like a real person, instead of parroting a faggoty formula. Pic related, it's (You).

>Are truffles worth it considering how rare they are
You realize you're basically asking, "does supply and demand exist" which is kinda silly.

stop being an autist

They're a luxury food. Whether or not they're worth it depends on how much money you have to spend on luxuries and whether or not you like them. Even if you do like them they won't be worth it if you don't have a lot of disposable income, because they're expensive. If you're in the lucky position where you can enjoy expensive things without having to worry about what they cost then truffles might be worth is to you. But since you have to ask I suspect you're nowhere near that position, so for you the answer is most likely no.

Taste is alright, but definitely not worth the money. If you want unique taste in mushrooms without the snobbiness, get chanterelle. 10/10 with cream or in risotto

thats not what he's asking. Jesus fuck is everyone on Veeky Forums retarded today? Everyone seems to be lacking basic reading comprehension. I gotta get the fuck out of here.

Anything perceived as a "luxury" is almost NEVER worth the price. That's almost the definition of a "luxury".

>Anything perceived as a "luxury" is almost NEVER worth the price.
Untrue. It's totally worth it to price insensitive customers. Unfortunately not many of us will ever be those customers.

Iirc China has been producing crappy truffles for the last few years to compete with other markets. People are too stupid to notice a difference in taste. Enjoy other mushrooms first.

There is two different types of truffles that are mainly referred to. Your picture is of the more common black truffle. The other type, the white truffle, is far more rare and thus more expensive.
Black truffles have a more mild flavor than white truffles, and are often served in sauces or creams. White truffles are more often served raw and have stronger taste.

They're not a meme food but they are very expensive. If you want to try out the flavors and see for yourself you could try truffle salt or truffle oil, which are marginally less expensive.

They're obviously "worth it" if they're sold for that much you fucking moron. Even if you don't care for the taste they're still rare. Do you really want someone to tell you "yes you will enjoy the taste of truffles" or something? You dumbass?

How do you define worth though? If you're really rich, paying 10 times more to get something twice as good is still a good deal.

You're talking like it's a private jet or something. Eating truffle a few times a year is completely conceivable with an average income.

Price insensitive customers are fools. They could spend the same money on something more worth it.

>expensive

lol get a job

lmao stop being poor

youtube.com/watch?v=CDfZOTNS1q4#t=2m5

Truffles are not private jet level, but they're generally served at the kind of places where dinner easily costs over $100 per person. That's within reach of the average person, but not something the average person actually does,
Funny. There are people who have so much money that the details of how they spend it don't matter so much to them. They just get what they want and pay with a black card.

Keep proving my point.

> to them
Fucktards. They could add the money to the server's tip and help a kid get through college.

These sorts of people generally tip well and donate to causes they believe do good in the world. They're very aware they're in a position of extreme privilege, even if they worked hard to get there.

if you're poor a dollar is more valuable to you than it is to a rich person. a truffle may be as valuable to you as a car is to a rich person, whereas it may be as valuable to a rich person as a bottle of cheap scotch is to you. no food is so good that it justifies costing as much as a car. it's clearly not as useful. i would say it's worth the price of a bottle of scotch, though.

Value judgments are entirely subjective, and depend on your situation.

That is exactly what I was saying.

a truffle pasta is about 15-20 euros so imo its worth it

OP youre an idiot.
Yes truffles are worth the high price because there are people paying that high price. As long as people pay that price then they are worth it.
You you are saying is you cant afford truffles and want to know if youre missing out on something amazing.
The answer is only you can answer that question. You do not however need to start with truffles. I recommend you start with dry morel mushrooms. They have a very funky earthy almost dirty yet somehow appealing aroma similar to truffles. Not quite the same but its a good place to start if you have never tasted a truffle. Use the dry form of morel and first just crush it in your fingers and smell it. This intensely concentrated aroma of dry morel is not too far removed from that of fresh truffles. Ill probably get some autist arguing that point. Do not start with truffle oil unless it is made from real truffles. Most are artificial garbage. If yiu can afford real truffle oil you can afford real truffles.

stupid post.

The reason truffles are so expensive is a family who has built a mafia empire from having land that is rich with these truffles. While it stands to reason the chinese exported truffles MIGHT lack the same flavor as the more expensive truffles, being canned no doubt diminishes the delicate flavors and textures of the truffles. There is nothing unique about the expensive truffles, but if word gets to the zipperheads that you're trying to produce your own at the same quality you're done for. This means they are nearly the only source for high quality truffles.

>ive never had a morel mushroom

I always fantasized about how a truffle pig raised exclusively with truffles would taste like

They don't let the pigs eat truffles. The pigs they make serrano ham from are raised eating a lot of tree nuts, however.

Do they rip the truffle from the pigs mouth when it finds it?

They are a luxury item for people who can afford it. If you have to worry about how much they cost, you cannot afford it and they are not for you.

they fucking know better than to actually eat it

Why is that? Surely the pig would be chomping at the bit to eat a delicious truffle?

The truffles are worth more than the pig. A pig who ate one would not live to get the chance to do it again.

So is the pig trained not to eat it? I wanna know what system is in place to stop the pig from chowing down on it.

Pigs are smarter than dogs and can be trained.

Pigs also enjoy 30-minute orgasms. Truffle-hunting and barbecue is the price you pay for such luxury.

>If you want unique taste in mushrooms without the snobbiness, get chanterelle
How could you possibly compare truffles to chanterelles?

Pigs are not trained to not eat the truffle. They are trained to sniff them out. They will dig them up and eat them every chance they get. They won’t be killed for this, because the person in charge of the pig knows they must pull the pig off the truffle location and dig it up himself.

>They are trained to sniff them out.
No they aren't. They do this all on their own. All you have to do is train them to walk on leash.

That said, truffle dogs are vastly superior and are used far more than pigs these days.

You can't train pigs to not eat truffles.

I know, that's why I wondered how would they taste if they did

They have to be trained to know what they are looking for. A pig won’t just sniff out truffles on their own. Even if it’s just getting them to recognize the smell and let them taste it so they actually want more, that’s still training.

truffle oil is a meme. Don't buy it or use it. It's all synthetic bullshit.

So's the vinegar you put on your fish 'n chips m8, doesn't stop anyone

>They have to be trained to know what they are looking for. A pig won’t just sniff out truffles on their own.
Yes they will. They are attracted to the dimethyl sulfide and probably 5α-androstenol produced by the truffle.

Truffles are hypogeous fruiting bodies that rely on animals for dispersal. Being ingested and passing through the gut can also improve spore viability/germination. They evolved to produce chemical attractants to animals such as pigs and squirrels. When I look for truffles I often just look for squirrel digs in the leaf litter. They dig them up and bury them elsewhere.

Truffles really are quite impressive and their interesting life history is also what makes them unique culinary ingredients.

tastes just like salt

>
>stupid post.
No, it was not. It was succinct and accurate.

>I always fantasized about how a truffle pig raised exclusively with truffles would taste like
I do think they rip the truffle from his mouth. They use dogs now, as well. I'd be more keen to have a truffle from a dog's mouth, than a pigs, if truth be known.

Well, there's the acorn fed black iberian hog that makes the amazing (and also expensive) jamon iberico de bellota.

Can you fucking people stop saying "meme"? You sound like people that are next up to shoot up a school.

Just stop using fucked up internet jibberish so you don't get arrested.

Is that a meme?

>tastes just like salt
t. guy who has never eaten a truffle

It tastes like earth, dipshit.

>chomping at the bit

CHAMPING at the bit you fuckin halfwit

They're paying to get the cook, servers, restaurant owner, and the people who collect truffles kids through college.
By paying them for their efforts.

Get a fucking job.
Bill Gates and Warren buffet have given away more to charity than they're worth today.
And all they've accomplished along with US foreign aid and millions of 'christian' retards, is to mutiple the population of Africa 5.5x over in the last 50 years.

They'll never not have millions of starving people in Africa, because they have no ability to support or provide for themselves, their culture and natural cognitive abilities do not afford them such. There's 1.1 billion blacks and Africa is larger than the USA, all of Europe, China, India, and Japan combined.
And has 10x the natural resources of europe, even today.
But when the average IQ of your country is literally at medical retardation level, it doesn't do you much good.

>When I look for truffles I often just look for squirrel digs in the leaf litter
Fine post user
Fine post indeed
>I
>I

Use truffle oil. It's not that expensive, especially considering its potency. Most people use it in like-with-like situations with other umami foods, eg: truffle mac and cheese.

Truffle salt and oil are worth it. You can get both for under $30 and use that over the course of a year for special occasions/recipies. It's definitely not something I want to taste every day, but it definitely has an occasional appeal. I do agree that they are "overrated" like caviar. But that's not because they aren't extremely good ingredients, they are. But it's because things like caviar/truffle are used as status symbols, so there exists a hype unrelated to cooking and eating.

You like them or you will learn to like them. There is no such thing as bad taste, only stubborn taste.

This is not what truffle tastes like. Where do you live?

t. someone who will never be rich because they'll be spending ten times an appropriate amount on everything

>just now realizes that Veeky Forums is just like any other online group that's overflowing with retards sucking each other off in a frenzied circlejerk
Welcome to the Internet.
>gotta get the fuck out of here
Naw, you live here now.

lurk moar newfag

>thinking I'm new
imagine if you could form a single thought, which would be completely wasted because it was about imagining you could

hugely overrated, it's honestly closer to a scent than a taste.

>hugely overrated, it's honestly closer to a scent than a taste.
kek. pinch your nose while eating and tell me scent is not important

>spending 4 grand per kilo on a prawn-flavoured mushroom queef buried in shit, dug up by a pig
>LOOK AT ME EVERYONE! DOES THIS MAKE ME A BIG BOY NOW?!

not denying this at all, just saying it isn't running the gamut of experience that other foods do.

>running the gamut of experience that other foods do.
'other foods' is a very broad category. truffles are one of the foods that are used more for their aromatic properties than taste on the tongue. a distinct aroma is generally much more of a valuable quality than intensity of taste.

>it's honestly closer to a scent than a taste.
I agree with this. Too bad truffles are perishable, it would be great to carry them around in a little box and smell them throughout the day. The aroma is pungent, heady, and very intense. I don't even know if I would describe it as "nice", but it is pleasant in an odd way. Like when you smell something weird on your hand and keep smelling it. I remember storing white truffles in a container with dry rice; when I opened it up, the aroma almost knocked me off my feet. It is very hard to describe, "heady" is the best word.

But when you eat truffles, that unique aroma seems lost or just not quite as pronounced/dramatic as when you just smell them. Hence using them in bland foods like risotto, scrambled eggs, rice etc.

If you can afford them, I would definitely recommend buying truffles and trying them out in a variety of dishes.

I was once given truffle honey as a gift . Real truffle honey, ie slices of black truffle in honey, not just honey with synthetic truffle aromatics. I forgot about it until one night when I was really high and didn't have much food in the house. I ended up eating graham crackers with goat cheese and drizzled truffle honey, it was one of the best snacks ever.

You are a meme

>what is corrupt governments and political instability due to constant war
>implying having resources is worth anything if you don't have the knowledge and technology to exploit them at the best
Why you people won't try to read a book instead of just repeating like parrots?

Look at world maps showing
>IQ
>crime/violence
It's strange how these correspond with governmental corruption.
Almost as though more intelligent populations elect better leadership, and less intelligent people elect incompetent/corrupt leadership.

It's also strange that countries which were forcibly colonized, arbitrarily delineated based on foreign powers, culturally destroyed, and ruled by corrupt governments solely concerned with extracting natural resources, would invariably developed their own native corrupt governments following their release from foreign occupation.

It's quite shocking.

pasta with trufflesauce is not more expensive than a steak, at least in germany/italy i can get black truffles for about 12 servings for 40€.
i love truffle but it is something i eat rarely and enjoy it more because of that.

Veeky Forums - Food & Cooking

Are you mentally ill?

Well, he just did.

>things like caviar/truffle are used as status symbols, so there exists a hype unrelated to cooking and eating.
False dichotomy. Food is cultural, and foods perceived as luxurious hold a special place in people's hearts. Think about the dishes you serve on holidays or at special occasions. They're generally not the same things you eat on a Tuesday night. Even a poor man looks forward to having a steak when he can afford it. Because most people like having what they consider an opulent meal every now and then, even if it is just on a special occasion. But the guy who can afford a steak whenever he wants one isn't going to see that as particularly opulent. Those who can afford more look may look forward to pleasures more rare than that, like vintage Burgundy/Bordeaux/Champagne, caviar, foie gras and truffles. These things are valued not just because they taste good, but because of the sense of opulence they confer. That isn't hype. It's part of the appeal.

>describes hype
>it's not hype

That isn't hype. A feeling of opulence is not hype. Hype drives trends. Hype is drinking mescal or eating avocado toast because that's what the cool kids are doing right now. The desire for opulence has a much wider appeal.

Don´t you like the taste of suede?

They used to be a luxury item

Right now, they are comparable to the luxury food brands from German discounter chains.

This guy is a fag

Obviously, but the comparison is absurd.

Hype is eating truffles because thats what the rich kids are doing

dont argue with our lord and savior

>Hype is eating truffles because thats what the rich kids are doing
What you described is not in any way hype.

Hype is doing something because someone else is doing it
Be it rich kids or retards or rich retarded kids, it's all the same

>producing truffles
what, isnt the whole reason for truffle scarcity the fact that you can't farm and harvest them easily?

Hype derives from hyperbole and is used both as a verb and a noun to describe the exaggerated praise and promotion powering trends. You do things because of hype, you aren’t hyping it by doing it.

>to describe the exaggerated praise and promotion powering trends
but rich people buying truffles is what promotes the trend, are you retarded?

You’re too stupid to talk to.

you're too stupid to admit you're wrong
that's fine though, anyone can tell without you saying anything

"Truffles" are a meme.

It's EXTREMELY RARE to find a 100% real truffle, because they are not actually mushrooms or fungus. That's all a veil to cover up what they really are. They are actually partially preserved and semi-dehydrated dog snouts. The pinnacle of rareness in real truffles are fox snouts. And there are only a literal handful of people in the world who know how to properly harvest and prepare them, so unless you're a billionare who also happens to be in secret circles, you're shit outa luck for finding one.

You literally just said
>Hype is doing something because someone else is doing it
You have no grounds to call anyone stupid.

>Black truffles, not white
Get a load of this peasant

stfu you idiot, you are whats cancer about discussions on Veeky Forums, go back to pol where repeating your opinion until the other person gets bored counts as winning an argument.
buying expensive things is in no way a hype per se, are rolex watches hyped? are private jets hyped? are you retarded? just cause something is expensive and still bought its not hyped

samefag

Hence shitty chinese truffles

who are you even trying to get on your side here, on a fkn anonymous board. im a different person than the one you are discussing with, telling you you are stupid, does it hurt?

nice damage control but you aren't fooling anyone, buddy ;)