Hey faggots, have you ever felt that you really don't have any power over anything...

Hey faggots, have you ever felt that you really don't have any power over anything? Like everything you have and love will eventually just slip away and leave you completely alone? I mean, behind all of that intellectual bullshit is anything really worth it? I know that's a lot of gay questions but I really wanted to discuss those things with you guys.

Other urls found in this thread:

paulgraham.com/love.html
youtube.com/watch?v=auwMpU_dRMg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I used to, but I realized there is no helping it so I may as well appreciate things while I have them, and rationalize that they are more meaningful and beautiful because they are impermanent.
Philosophy isn't meant to drastically change your life into some fictitious power fantasy, but it is meant to help you live in a more meaningful way in your current circumstances.
Plus, we all will return to the principle element, so in that sense I am not alone.

That’s basically the question that torments most of those minds who somehow doubt the religious explanations and consolations. Actually, all the founders of great religious were somehow struggling with this question.

A vast part of Buddhism – especially the older and closer to the Gautama texts and speeches – is directed toward the goal of embracing this fear that you presented and conquering it through acceptance. The abandon of ego and attachment is above all a way of coping with the evanescence of all things, since no matter how much you achieve, no matter how great you are, you are probably going to go to the same darkness and void where you were before you were born.

So you see: there are people spending countless hours in meditation, silent thought, philosophical consolations, etc., simply in order to make peace with emptiness. Even the Universe must make his peace with nothing, since it probably will also end eventually.

>I mean, behind all of that intellectual bullshit is anything really worth it?
Babby's first existentialism

I've been really fucked up by my own feelings and thoughts, especially about my existence. I guess that not being able to talk to anyone about it is the most frustrating thing for me too.

Find a passion and pursue happiness through it. That's literally all you need. Don't put all your emotional eggs into a basket you can't control if you're that much of a control freak.

>I mean, behind all of that intellectual bullshit is anything really worth it?

Try to get most out of life: take bathes at the sea, eat ice cream, laugh, watch good movies, listen to good music, have sex (if you don’t have a girlfriend just go out with prostitutes, many of them are very nice and gentle), spend time with your family, travel, etc.

Those are the immediate pleasures.

As for a more permeating sense of accomplishment and self-worth, to have a goal, a hobby, like drawing-painting, writing, moviemaking, composing, studying math, etc. is a great solution. You might don’t feel very inclined to write every day, for example, and would much prefer to have sex or visit Tahiti in the two-three hours you need to spend on your personal projects, but trust me: with time the sense of accomplishment from a personal project and work will make all the other pleasure of life pale in comparison.

There is a very nice text about it; give it a try:

paulgraham.com/love.html

Yeah, I'm right there with you, user. I sound a lot calmer than I have been, and I change my mind constantly. Part of me feels like reading all this philosophy is just making me more unhappy, or that I will never understand it, or that I could never possibly think of anything original to compare to these great philosophers.
But I often come to a thought or read a passage and I feel happy or content, moreso than I could possibly feel without it. I think I will be able to get to a point where this happens more often, and with everyday life. Finding that stability through thought is part of philosophy.

Individual intracorporeal power is the weakest power there is.

Thanks for your thoughts, you seem like a nice guy, user. I will definitely give it a read when I get home.

I've been struggling with schizophrenia for a year now, and my thoughts can get extremely unorganized at times. Being able to work and maintain a relationship with my gf just got harder to the point that I had to end things with her. I can't be too emotional because I'm afraid that I'll just lose myself and I can't turn to my family for help because they will only treat me like a crazy person.

Are you seeing medical treatment or care for your schizophrenia? It sounds rough.

Not really, I've been trying to deal with it by myself, but it just gets harder and harder. I might need another alternative soon.

Well, in a sense you are “crazy” if you have schizophrenia, but you should not feel ashamed or bad about it. If people don’t feel ashamed for having diabetes, for example, why then schizophrenia? Is not your fault, and yet it is a disease.

I suggest you embrace the hell of your family: they are probably the people who love you the most in this world. I also think that is good to aknowledge that you have a disease and that you need medication, and that is just a fact of life and nobody is to be blamed.

I don’t know how is your routine, but I would suggest exercises, healthy eating, healthy sleeping, contact with loved ones, visits to the doctor and taking medication.

I myself struggled for several years (something like eight years) with panic attacks and extreme anxiety, and managed to beat it by reading medical manuals, books by people – doctors – who suffered with the same condition, medication and psychiatric help. In my case the treatment that helped the most was Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

I know that is not the same as your case, but I suggest that you at least trust in your family. If they treat you like a sick person is not out of disdain or scorn for you, but only because they love you and want to make what they can to help you.

>I suggest you embrace the hell of your family

the help

I strongly suggest getting medical attention for schizophrenia. It's not going to get better, or only marginally so, without medication and therapy. Your family doesn't have to know if you don't want them to, but you need a support system if you don't have one already.
I hope things turn out all right, man.

I'm actually afraid of what the meds can do to my mind desu
I mean, this disease fucks my brain really bad but sometimes I feel like a literal God and the worst part is that I think that I'll miss it.

>desu
Where the fuck did that come from

meditate you fuking loonatic. it fixes everything. it expains it to you. palouse.

>babby's first existential questions

youtube.com/watch?v=auwMpU_dRMg

Veeky Forums word filtering [tee-bee-haych] to desu

I mean, having friends is nice in general, but I find that it's hard to rely on them to silence thoughts like that. Books and introspection are better for that one.

Go look at art, see classical works from the masters all the way to contemporary art. Seeing what people have worked on, what they endured and inevitably leave behind helped put a lot of things into perspective for me. Art also helps balance you out by giving a visual medium, conveyed by other to what troubles you. Visit your local museums and spend the entire afternoon there and it may help shed some light as to what you are feeling inside, because it is not unique and has been felt by many others before.