Hey Veeky Forums my head chef gave me all this locally sourced broccoli due to overstock...

Hey Veeky Forums my head chef gave me all this locally sourced broccoli due to overstock. What can I do with about 8 pounds of broccoli? I’m not very wealthy, but I can cook well. I was thinking broccoli and cheese soup but I only have enough homemade stock for half.

Other urls found in this thread:

copymethat.com/r/lhVZMu1/atk-modern-cauliflower-gratin/
theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/03/twice-cooked-broccoli-repassati-recipe-rachel-roddy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just have some steamed broccoli with dinner every night until it's gone

Stuff baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese. Chop some up for a fresh salad with cauliflower and cabbage. Eat some raw with a nice yogurt- or hummus-based dip.

>if you don't have homemade stock, store bought is fine

Make soup with what stock you have, freeze it, and make the rest fresh as a side dish. None wasted.

That purplish looking variety looks closer to cauliflower. You can marinade it in spiced yogurt and slowly roast the whole head in the oven until browned and slightly tender. I wouldn't recommend it for green, grocery-store broccoli though.

>if you don't have homemade stock, store bought is fine
Might as well just add some food coloring to some salt water.

>you will never fuck Ina while you two wait for her turkey to finish roasting

you better put beer in that soup

I'm just spitballing but use it instead of basil and make pesto, could be alright

make a casserole and cover it with cheese as a main

Stop talking, idiot.

These are good ideas and yes it’s califlower I just checked. Also cauliflower casserole is called “cauliflower au gratin”. Purple au gratin would look pretty good I think I’ll serve it when I’m playing d&d tomorrow to weird my players out

fuck you marcus

you don't even need other stock. you can make broccoli soup with broccoli + the water it was boiled in + salt. just blend it to the right consistency. It will highlight the high quality broccoli with cream and cheese.

*without cream and cheese

ATK just had an episode on Cauliflower Au Gratin today (recipe):
copymethat.com/r/lhVZMu1/atk-modern-cauliflower-gratin/
Essentially you take the root core and chop it up and boil it for 10-12 minutes covered while the florets steam on top (or in a microwave/different pot basket). Take the flourets out and continue boiling the core for another 10 minutes then puree it with the recommended spices and cheese then mix in a corn starch slurry for thickening and pour over the flourets in a casserole dish. Sprinkle over some panko bread crumbs sauteed in butter and bake until golden brown.

You could also chop up the broccoli, some asparagus, and halve some brussels sprouts and roast them in the oven for a "warm mixed salad" maybe with some grate cheese or chopped nuts on top and a balsamic reduction or soy sauce-based dressing to go with it on the side.

take the thick stalks, clean up the skin, slice thin with a mandoline and boil for a few minutes. Line up on plate, drizzle with high quality olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and a small amount of parmesan.

I unironically like the stalks more than the florets now

The only thing I can think of that hasnt been said is to pickle some of the cauliflower. Lots of recipes include tumeric so it turns up looking like pic related. Yours might look either really ugly or pretty since its purple.
Also seconding coating some broccoli in oil and salt, then roasting it til crispy. Very tasty

Op here I’ve decided I’m going to try to revive the thread by doing a cook along. As well as sharing some techniques I’ve learned. Going from left to right. Baking soda, Butter, rendered pork belly fat, 1$ bacon smoked Gouda, shallot, garlic, celery parsley brocc, bacon, leftover stock(rest is defrosting),homemade smoked onion powder, white pepper, mustard, smoked paprika cayenne, dried zucchini, sodium citrate. I’ll keep posting if anyone wants to now more, otherwise I’ll let the thread die.

yeah dude i'll take a look

whoa what’s that purple alien vegetable?

>put it in your mouth
>chew
>swallow
repeat until gone

Hey, how was that cheese 1 dollar? That looks like it would be about 5 dollars at my local store.

>broccoli and cheese soup
>freeze it
Uwotm8.exe

Freezing a soup with cheese in it will absolutely fuck it up irreparably.

>w-what can I do with this common vegetable?
>h-hey I may be poor but I can cook

obvi

I make this shit all the time, it's simple but makes broccoli fucking amazing & if you're sick of pasta it works with plenty of other things too

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/03/twice-cooked-broccoli-repassati-recipe-rachel-roddy