Do you consider yourself superior to others because you read books and they dont? do you look down on them?

do you consider yourself superior to others because you read books and they dont? do you look down on them?

for a brief time when i was 19 or 20, yes. It's kind of embarrassing to recall now.

No, I consider myself superior because I'm white and extremely redpilled. Looking down on libtards comes naturally.

Of course I do. Most people are operating well below their true potential. They are happily ignorant of the riches of life and literature. That is a profoundly depressing way to live.

Not really

However I do consider "people" with animosity for art to be absolute scum who should probably be gassed for reasons of social hygiene

Yes. Even though I'm aware of the fact that the thing I'm reading are only pleb level mainstream sheet...

Only those who insult people for reading. But I don't so much look down on them as I feel sorry for them.

>"art"

No. I don't understand it, but I don't look down on them for it. That people don't read has always been too alien a concept to me for me to judge them for it.

I used to judge what people read, of course, but I cut that shit out too, after a while.

I look down on people but it has nothing to do with the books they read, most are just idiots who destroyed any semblance of potential they had. I'm the same but at least I'm aware of it and is actively trying to become the fullest extent of myself. You also need to participate in an activity everyone must use and follow the same rules, such as driving, to understand the complete lack of spacial and self awareness in the majority of humans

>Only those who insult people for reading

Do really people like this still exist? I thought they went extinct after my middle school...

No.

One time a guy said he'd never read a book in his life and he never would. He was so smug about it, so self-satisfied that I tried to jump over the table and punch him.

I've never met anybody else who mocked people for reading, or were actively against it. It was just something they didn't do.

No.

Posting such a sentiment on Veeky Forums shows remarkable lack of self-insight.

Kind of hard not to. That's like not listening to music or looking at art, especially in an age where it's all at your fingertips

A few friends would call me a fag when I turned down playing games to read. I never said anything cause I'm a pussy and eventually I just stopped telling them I was reading.

We were in our early 20s..

what's the point in reading books if i can't look down on other people

>such as driving, to understand the complete lack of spacial and self awareness

Consider that human awareness is like a flashlight beam. It focuses on one thing at a time, wanders around willy-nilly, and is probably late to wherever you need it.

No, I don't consider myself superior to others. Underestimating your interlocutor is the worst mistake to make, surely leads to a fall, and is the first sign of the brainlet.

Had very, very similar problem, but the guy actually said he only reads books or watches movies only once. It made me angry to the point where my blood was boiling since I have great passion for making book autopsies.

Maybe a stupid question, but was it at school or work?

Lol why are musicfags like this? Some just prefer silence.

philosophy is always an elitist attitude, user, no escaping from that since socrates.

the mode of doing philosophy since socrates is asserting yourself higher above than whom you're speaking as being more serious than them about the question in matter. seriousness is righteousness.

socrates transformed the way we philosophize once and for all and doomed us to being serious about philosophy. fortunately Veeky Forums and derrida are here to save us from that and open up philosophy as fun and games, nothing serious or nothing unironic. an anti-autism inside all the autism.

That just means you're idiot user

How? You sound 12.

idiots are people who don't appreciate the intoxicating contrast between deep silent thoughts and being engulfed in a beautiful song. It's like the cliche saying that you can't truly be happy if you were never sad

Not being able to appreciate music is a pretty significant defect. It is the "purest" artform and takes little effort, there's really no excuse

Home

Yeah no shit

I feel superior to people who think YouTube videos or podcasts are acceptable substitutes for reading.

How can one stop judging people on what they read though? I can understand if a person does not read at all, but someone reading John Green or some other shit just fucking disgusts me to my core.

I guess you just have to remember that we're all going to die, so just let people enjoy what they want to. Thinking you're better than someone for a reason like that is an illusion. You think you're better than them because you're applying arbitrary worth to something and then measuring them by that arbitrary metric. They have arbitrary metrics they're judging you by, too. A rock is a rock is a rock.

My mind drifts when getting into new works and eventually the music just becomes background noise. It's not like literature or cinema where you can call me a brainlet or some other derogatory term for not being able to get into it, I think you just have to get over yourself. I don't hate music, it's just not for me.

"educational" youtube like "History of a Russia in 6 minutes" pisses me the fuck off. These people watch this shit and truly believe they have a solid understanding of the topic, ignoring how retarded someone could be by not understanding how dumb it is to condense the history of a giant country of hundreds of millions of people through thousands of years in a quick video where half of it is shitty "jokes" and pop culture references. The more I see this the more I'm tempted to start making 20+ minute videos discussing obscure topics that demands previous knowledge to understand what's being talked about. I'm sick of "educational" meaning "repeat the intro paragraph of Wikipedia over a pretty graphic literally just showing that the topic exists and never going further than that" When I get recommended crash course history irl I try not to let my autistic rage take over

>arbitrary
Yes, everything is arbitrary. Masturbating for hours is just as virtuous as engaging in scientific research, it's just stupid arbitrary metrics that society forces on us, based enlightened hedonists.

nice strawman

You think leisurely reading a book you like is in any way equivalent to real scientific research, while someone else reading a book you don't like is masturbating? Get off your high horse, you're just as bad as the people you condemn.

Yes, reading pop-entertainment is equivalent to masturbation. Yes, reading books that force you to mentally develop in some degree is comparatively analogous to research.
It's called analogy, buzzword-loving memetard.

no because the people on this board are evidence that reading won't make you better, smarter, more thoughtful etc... I look down on idiots independent of their hobby

I try not to, but when I finish a few chapters of Anna Karenina and walk out to the living room to see my dumbass roommates with their even dumber girlfriends sitting on their asses, smoking weed, and giggling at whatever mind-melting show is on TV (last night it was Neighbors by that degenerate Seth Rogen) I can’t help but cringe. Sometimes I catch a brief blurb of their conversation where they praise those schlock marvel movies or gush over Chris Pratt’s acting abilities.

>Yes
Well then don't mind me feeling superior to you. At least you can give yourself a pat on the back that it wasn't a food analogy.

>literary merit is based solely on what I like or don't

>literature has nothing but objective quality that I define and everyone else has to abide by

>a food analogy
>operates solely in memes
>feeling superior
Good on you, friendo.

I just finished reading Kant and then proceeded to get baked with brother watching Black Knight. You just sound like a cunt using your 'intellect' to hold up your facade of competence because you have nothing else to show for it besides your pathetic posturing. They all see your desperate self hatred user, people like you never hide it well

>/b/-tier straw man
This is a non-brainlet board. Please, leave.

>It's called analogy, buzzword-loving memetard.
no, it's you misrepresenting what I said and then attacking me for it.
Everything just fucking is. You can do what you want, and value things however you want, but don't fucking delude yourself. You think science is more important than masturbation? Sure, but the guy masturbating 20 hours a day thinks you're a retard for doing math for all day long when you could be having fun masturbating. What are you trying to prove? That you're objectively superior than people who don't enjoy what you like? Go ahead, have fucking fun with that.

>This is a non-brainlet board
Then why are you still here? Either retort with something meaningful or don't speak at all.

Thanks for your input bud.

>retort to my straw man so I can avoid facing the exposed retardedness of my previous argument
Again, back to your underage subreddit, brainlet.

yup, I think I'm intelligent until I open my mouth and hear the rambling paired with the confused look of everyone around me. It never comes out right...

>everything is like relative dude you can't like pass value judgements at all my man for real yo

what are you even mad about?

But then who else would provide the labor that the lower classes who, without generalizing too much, don't have much a care for "art" or "high-brow" culture?

The fact that you people even post in and flock to this kind of thread just proves what kind of retards you actually are.

Go ahead, call me a hypocrite, but you lot are a lot less self-aware than you think.

>I don't have an argument so I'll respond with memes
Back to /trash/ where you belong.

that's easy to say when the only people you encounter on a daily basis are you mom, dad, brother, and Kant.

Already gave you an argument, retard. Your John Green novels and fantasy fanfiction do not hold more literary merit than Tolstoyevsky or Shakespeare because you like them more. Now go strawman and post "not an argument" somewhere else.

>he encounters a corpse on a daily basis
No wonder user's life hasn't been going so well lately.

I never said they did, I said literary merit is not comparable to scientific research, with your only counter-point being a strawman you made yourself where that means I somehow think literature is absolutely subjective. With reading comprehension like that I doubt you even made it through Hamlet.

Why do you always see people like this shoving their stupid little anecdote into the conversation. The contrast between Kant and weed+batman makes you look like a fucking idiot, who's also guilty of posturing but in an even more obnoxious form

I live with my brother, the only roommate I can stand having. He's also a massive chad that sets me up sometimes. I've been getting a social life without any work since elementary school

Atleast half the posters here are arguing against it you vague grandstanding cunt

Analogy is completely correct. One is empty self-indulgence, other is not necessary pleasurable pursuit of virtue. If you don't understand what an analogy is resort to thesaurus.

I do tend to consider myself superior to others, but I don't even read all that often. I'm about 150some pages into IJ right now. I think it's mostly just a self-defense mechanism because I'm mostly incapable of communicating with others so IT MUST BE BECAUSE I'M SO FAR ABOVE THEM LOL

Reading is good but its not everything. Plus there are a lot of dumb people who read and get nothing out of it.

>don't reply to my anecdote with an anecdote

and it's a martin Lawrence movie faggot, the only posturing faggot here is the guy clings to his fucking reading list and a unearned superiority to delude himself from the crashing thoughts of truth, a thought telling him that he hates himself and can't fit in. Why do you think you even posted that comment? Why does it constantly sit in your mind? Do you think people write what they hold as truth or to simply reassure and argue with the inner voice they hate?

The analogy is bad, which is what I've been trying to tell you this whole time. Scientific inquery explains something concrete about the perceived world and thus impacts that world in a concrete way. Masturbation releases sexual frustration so you can be more productive later on. Neither are an apt comparison to reading absolute schlock or struggling on an intellectual level to understand some deep philosophical concept which may also turn out to be a different kind of schlock. Both can stay with you for far longer than your previous fap, yet neither will have the impact of new inventions and discoveries.

>superior to others
I do not see ourselves in the same hierarchy, unless it is about sin, in which case I am worse.

>Why do you think you even posted that comment? Why does it constantly sit in your mind? Do you think people write what they hold as truth or to simply reassure and argue with the inner voice they hate?
Lmao so have you started psych 101 or is that next quarter

>explain that analogy was used to highlight the involvement of virtue
>talks about different technical aspects that aren't even transferable to discussion at hand
So you don't understand what an analogy is and how it is different to categorical equivalence. Again, use a thesaurus.
>Scientific inquery explains something concrete and impacts
Scientific research isn't even necessarily always succesful, let alone groundbreaking.
>releases frustration so you can be more productive later on.
So do many forms of mindless entertainment including reading pulp.

For the umpteenth time, the core difference between either of those pairs of activities is presence of intentional pursuit of virtue, whether it's pursuit of universal knowledge or personal development is irrelevant - it's virtuous all the same.

lmao it's like a guy with his arms cut off trying to throw a thumbs up at concerned people walking by. You proved my point trying with your reply

Lmao literally what the fuck are you on about. I admire your ability to diagnose personalities from a shitpost, if I didn't know any better I'd think you were projecting

not to anyone in specific or even humanity as a whole. it's more like an feeling of superiority without an differentiated object towards which i feel superior.

No. Obviously the reverse is GENERALLY SPEAKING stupidly the case.

i don't consider myself superior to people who don't talk about reading, but i definitely feels superior to people i know who talk about all of the genre fiction they read.

There's nothing a priori about being on Veeky Forums, your post shows remarkable lack of general knowledge.

>it’s not like cinema

Not liking music is 100x more indictable than not liking film

This pretty much.

I spend nearly every free moment I have trying to expand my mind in some way or learn new things.
And when I see all of my friends and acquaintances doing the absolute dumbest shit in their free time, like watching superhero movies and watching sportsball or getting wasted every night, it deeply depresses me.

It's like people are actually happy being mediocre and average. I don't know whether I should pity them or be jealous.

>said he only reads books or watches movies only once.
Damn, people like this infuriate me. And I know exactly the kind of guy you mean.

>a priori
lol lets roast this faggot right guys? bet he hasn't even read the Kant wiki

How do you know they don't read furiously in their spare time at home? Shouldn't be so quick to judge someone unless they say they havnt read Ulysses

If reading books is the only thing that makes you feel superior LMAO you fucking useless shet.

shutup loser
shutup loser
wait do you mean rewatch/reread??

Huh I think I've read your story/greentext about that guy a long time ago.

>being the authority on the definition of art

It's more depressing than anything. You see a lot of people who profess to know yet there is so much to learn about to reach any kind of real understanding and so little time.

/thread

No, but I hate mediocre retards that have a unfounded superiority complex

Not at all. I don't recall ever seriously considering myself superior to others. I believe I am above average intelligence and sometimes pity people who live unexamined lives or do not question their own opinions/beliefs, but these are not strong feelings that dictate my personality or thoughts.

Reading, and life in general, is very personal to me. There are a few friends who I will recommend or send books to, but for the most part I read for myself and not for some ostentatious ego trip. Same reason I do not partake in social media or Good Reads or anything like that. And it's not about mock humility or anything like that, I am just a generally quiet individualist.

>I would never want a book’s autograph.
wut

I like to imagine he meant that literally and it wasn't just his lack of skill with language.

>''West’s derision of books comes despite the fact that his late mother, Donda West, was a university English professor before she retired to manage his music career. ''
This, my friends, is why you don't have kids.

I read the whole quote and I think he means it literally; he's not a fan of books, i.e.: he doesn't want their autographs like he would a musician or whatever.

What a fucking dunce.

>don't manage your highly successful millionaire child, stick to your English prof job
I don't know his music and he sounds like a retard, but clearly she made the right decision.

Although if he wasn't successful and they weren't both so superficial and vain, he wouldn't have gotten her the plastic surgery that killed her.

No, but I think everyone should read. It increases your quality of life greatly.

I hate to come off as conceited though this entirely, and it applies to near every field in life as well as literature.

>ITT worthless brainlets can't cope with the fact that an illiterate nigger's work is more beloved and culturally impactful than their collective body of juvenile scribbles

>he is a god
>hurry up with his damn croissant