Hi Veeky Forums I want to get a steak today. I don't have a grill, which means I would have to cook it in a pan

Hi Veeky Forums I want to get a steak today. I don't have a grill, which means I would have to cook it in a pan.
>Where can I find decent steaks? there is only a Kroger in my town
>How do I cook a steak in a pan on the stove?
>Is a red wine reduction necessary?
>What $10 bottle of red wine from Kroger is best?
>What side should I make to go with the steak?

t. Midwestern flyover

By heating butter in a pan and putting a steak in the pan

Why would this be necessary? It makes it taste good by giving you a sauce to enjoy the steak with, but it's by no means necessary.

Doesn't matter really. I prefer using merlot to cook with beef.

Mashed potatoes and asparagus

I don't know where you live user.

Ignore the guy above and don't use butter. Use beef fat or no cooking fat. Butter has a very low smoke point and will turn your kitchen into a smokehouse before that pan gets hot enough. You are bringing the pan up to molten temperatures before you put the steak on right?

What are you on about? Just drink the wine.

What ever you like.

Fried eggs, fried red onions, mashed potatoes.

>t. Midwestern flyover
SE USA, actually.

>I don't know where you live user.
Small religious town. There are more than 100 churches. Everything is closed on Sunday. Day of rest and all that.
I recently fucked up a pan by having it molten and then adding chicken thighs.

You should use butter to finish the steak, at the end of cooking, once the temperature has dropped a bit put some butter in the pan and baste the steak in it with a spoon.

Dont listen to these retards, user. Steak is best cooked in a pan so dont even worry about it; grilled steak is bullshit.

You should first try to find whichever cut you can get that has the most marbling/intramuscular fat. Id personally recommend going for a strip steak of prime quality that has a nice fat cap all along the one half of the steak.

Next, youre gonna salt and pepper that bitch in an excessive way (literally hit the point where you feel like its good and then keep going, most of it is gonna fall off anyway). While youre taking care of that shit, your pan should be coated with a couple tablespoons of canola oil and itshould be cranked on the highest setting. youre gonna wait til you see the oil start to atomize (til you see light vapor coming off the pan, dont take it to aheavy smoke).

Now youre gonna lay your steak in your pan and sear the fuck out of it for ~2-3 mins on each side (until you have a nice, caramelized "crust" then flip.. repeat on the other side)

Ok, so your steak is seared but still raw as fuck in the middle. Now we can address this issue by turning the burner down from 100% to like 75% and youre gonna throw 3-4 tbsp butter into the pan along with a few sprigs of thyme and some crushed garlic cloves. This cools the pan down and now youre gonna grab a large spoon and baste the steak in the bubbling bath of butter youve now got going on.. for a ~1" id baste it for like a minute on each side and then rest it and it should be where you want it to be. If not, toss it in the oven at 350 for another 5-10 mins

Fuck, sorry.. after you're done basting, lay the strip on its fat cap and turn the burner down to 50% and let it render until tender and edible

I never said anything about pan fried steaks being bad, retard.

cut the fat off
cook on low based on weight and dimensions of the steak
sear the sides

with all of this information, I'm still just as confused. heading to Krogers in a minute, will report back soon.

Pan frying a steak is retarded.. Cooking a steak w a hot as fuck pan using minimal oil is what we're doing.

Wtf are you confused about user?

get a steak that is at least an inch thick

salt heavily

heat a pan up, crazy hot. should be smoking.

3 minutes each side

let rest 5 minutes

this guy got the chef john method which is all good but lets be honest here we're just heating up beef

Three minutes per side on a smoking hot pan? Are you serious? It will still be ice cold in the middle

Hard sear, lower temp and baste with butter and aromatics for flavor, finish in oven.. It's how you do this.

This is the correct rundown, pan frying steak isn't an artform

Its not an art, its just the objectively best way to do it.

The pan sauce you make afterthe steak is done could be considered a form of art though IMO

Different strokes, man. 3 minutes per side is my preference, too.

3 minutes is of course inadequate for a steak thicker than an inch, then i'd definitely go for the oven too.

i generally finish my steak over charcoal these days, not out of preference but because my stove sucks and i can make a charcoal fire hotter than i can make my pan

This is a harris teeter(owned by kroger) ribeye cooked in a cast iron pan. It is topped with butter... Not cooked in butter.
Caramelized onions and asparagus.
>Heavy salt and pepper
>High heat
>No oil
>3 minutes flip
>2 minutes done

The trick is to let your steak sit out for an hour before cooking to let it come up to room temperature. You should salt the steak and let it sit for an hour first.

3 minutes on high takes any protein past "caramelized crust" and into charcoal territory.. you will burn your steak while it remains raw if you do that

well then op better keep an eye on his shit and not let it burn

Now we're getting into the nuance of steak cookery and this is where everybody will have their own opinion. Personally i think youre right, salting and letting it sit pulls TONS of moisture out of the outside of the steak which makes it easier to get a hard sear on each side in less time and with less heat (so you can bring it up to temp gently by basting resulting in a more even final temp).

The initial temperature of the meat is irrelevant IMO.

If I still had the option I would absolutely cook my steaks over coals. Only time I've enjoyed blue steak was over coals.

Rubbish.
Unless your room is cold and your fridge is warm it takes more than an hour. Ill give you credit because most people say 20 minutes which does nothing.

Howd i do? Did i get a meme wine?

the fuck are you censoring on your steak?

the address of my grocery store lol

god bless italian red

oops

there was a steak that had a big fat cap but i didn't really want that, so i got the fat foot.

also, prime steaks are $23 a pound what the fuck? they looked mighty tasty tho

Looks like shit for a 11 dollar steak

You didn't even get one that was on sale

Its really dry, kinda bland too. better than a bunch of garbage from California though
Only $10

should i go back? the meat counter steaks were $23/lb and i don't have that kind of money. the prime steaks were smaller, this choice looked best of all the choice. also there wasn't an discount meat this early in the morning

Salted. I have a very naughty cat. I hope i dont lose the steak to my cat.

When did kroger by HT? I like them but there isnt one in my town.

Jesus Christ that’s a lot of fucking salt! Are you just drying it out and plan to rub some of that off?

someone in this thread said "add more than you think is necessary" so i did. why are you all so hard to please? i will absolutely rub some off when it's time to cook.

don't listen to user, you're probably ok
just if you've got paper towels dab it dry if it gets moist looking

Here we go

It is overcooked. Please euthanize me.

Too greasy, pan not hot enough.

thank you for the feedback

I think it looks ok. I'd eat it.

i think i had too much oil in the pan. i kinda want another steak now

thank u, it was pretty ok.

>religious state
>can buy alcohol on the sabbath
i bet you can buy a car on the sabbath too can't you, you heathens!

Is that cow or kangaroo?

Whats with you fuckers and melting a piece of butter on the top of an already cooked steak?

Gross

bearnaise or go home