Any recommendations on what order to read Philip K. Dick?

Any recommendations on what order to read Philip K. Dick?

Start with the tip and work your way toward mons pubis.

nice...

I haven't read anything by him but I have seen the first Blade Runner. Is he worth reading at all or should I just watch his screen adaptations?

I don't know what you consider "worth reading", but if that helps Androids has next to nothing to do with Blade Runner.

Library of America order (mostly chronological):
>High Man in the Dick Castle
>Three Stigmata
>Do Androids Dream?
>Ubik
then it goes onto a bunch of his middle works:
>Dr. Bloodmoney
>Now Wait for Last Year
>Flow My Tears
crucially, it has "A Scanner Darkly" before the VALIS trilogy. my favorites are "Three Stigmata" and "Ubik," but i will always remember the imagery of "Now Wait" and "Flow My Tears". you can skip " Dr. Bloodmoney" if you want, but it's freaky if you've ever lived in the Bay Area.

Chronologically, as you would with any author.

just read VALIS and take the magenta pill

Except PKD wrote a metric large amount of pulpy stuff early on that's vastly different from his books

Blade Runner is hardly a screen adaption, I don't even know why they say that. Do Androids Dream is a much better story than Blade Runner.

Not worth reading, one of his worst desu

dont, i tried to read valis first and i dropped it halfway through, read some of his other stuff first

The first half of VALIS is very opaque, but it clears up after that. Still not a great place to start with him

I've read the vast majority, but long ago. Having read many reviews, it seems Dick has widely ranging effects as--to who likes what. Name some favorites by other authors for a better recommendation.

That said, I wouldn't start with Man in the High Castle. Winning prizes for your lesser books just makes prize winning seem stupid.

If the drug altered consciousness stuff appeals to you try, A Scanner Darkly. If the Christ Roman parallel dimension stuff appeals, Try, Radio Free Albemuth.
Post-apocalyptic: try the one he wrote with Zelazny. See what I mean?

The key is to learn to trust Dick first, then read his harder stuff. So I'm trying to figure out how someone else might do that. If you like short stories start there.

What is opaque about it?

the pages

But then all of a sudden the pages became transparent!
As expected of PKD.

Making sense of it

Are you having a hard time with metaphor? Maybe a literature board isn't quite for you

>Do Androids Dream is a much better story than Blade Runner.
That may be true, but the real difference here is in execution. As with most Dick books, Androids has piss poor dialogue and flimsy characters. There are some interesting ideas there, but I could never get past the fact that it's written like airport pulp. Blade Runner does have a relatively weak story, but that really just serves as the frame on which to hang the special effects and atmosphere of that world. Yes there's not much to Deckard, but Rutger Hauer's character has more depth than all of Androids put together.

Any epubs or ebooks on Mega to download? Only have Man in the High Castle as Digital and a ton Physical.

There is some pretty stupid shit in Androids though, like the random replicant-occupied police station. The JF Sebastian character is also more meaningful than the ''random tenant guy'', as well as the replicant group working together to prolong their lives and meeting their makers while being fugitives.

Actually, Blade Runner pretty much enhanced and tightened much of Android's fuzzy-ass plot. The only things lost were some concepts like the mood organ or how owning real animals were a status symbol. Pris being the same model as Rachel was interesting though, and would've probably added to the BR story.

Ubik is my favorite of his, it's also pretty entertaining and accessible. If you liked Ubik then read Flow My Tears the Policeman Said.

Are you having a hard time with sarcasm? Maybe a literature board isn't quite for you.