What is the best wanderer literature? So far I've got Kerouac, Hesse, and Che down, I need some more...

What is the best wanderer literature? So far I've got Kerouac, Hesse, and Che down, I need some more. Do you believe that the journey is the key to truth?

What is it about this painting that makes it a frequent use by publishers on book covers?

>truth

Steinbeck's Travels With Charley is a great road novel.

Musashi is pretty good

It's a pretty good painting. One could argue that the wanderer's journey is the search for himself or truth, and thus publishing companies believe that it is a good way to present ideology centered on that. I love the painting, but it is used way too much as a cover.

I think it represents vast intellectual territory and exploration. You can see a man dressed aristocratically (= intellect) and clearly improperly for hiking (= mental exploration).

>Kerouac

Am I stupid for not getting a single thing out of on the road? Absolutely nothing resonated with me

Because it wasn't good. I read it at 18 when it should have hit me the hardest and even back then I was unimpressed

RLS. His adult life was one long wander.

A Month In the Country is a good read, Fermor's On Foot to Constantinople books are fantastic.

You can't go wrong with the Odyssey and the Aeneid

Read Goethe.
user, you have no soul. For reals.

I've read Faust, what are some other great plays/poetry/essays?

worth reading translated Faust? I think it'd be almost easier to just learn German

I read a decently translated version with poetry, but German is complex enough that it would be worth learning German to get the most out of it.

Joseph and his brothers
The razors edge
The moon and sixpence
Henderson the rain king
The adventures of Auggie March
Down and out in Paris and London
Henry Miller
The red and the black
Knut hamsun
Les Miserables

All have some good wanderers

I'm a different user who's already learning German. How hard is the level of German in Faust?

The 20th century was a period of radical change that seems to be continuing into the 21st. Most of its authors are going to be dated and irrelevant in terms of personal resonance with the latest generation of readers.

kafka u fucking pleb

Patrick Leigh Fermor's A Time of Gifts is pretty comfy.

WATASHI WANDERER DES- EEEEAAUU