What's the deal with people LARPing as Roman Catholics?

I've noticed that a lot of people, regardless of their lifestyle, cling very tightly to their Catholic label, and that many of these same people attach some other ideology to their Catholicism, so that they identify as "Trad-Catholic" or "Trans-Catholic" or "Catholic-communist". Further, the most important aspects of their Catholicism consist of scoffing at Protestants or reading philosophy which is tangentially related to Catholicism.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DH53uFBOGbw
barking-moonbat.com/God_in_the_Dock.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decree_against_Communism
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You'll grow out of it eventually.

One of the analogies between Communism and Roman Catholicism is thatonly the ’educated’ are completely orthodox. The most immediately striking thing about the English Roman Catholics–I don’t mean the real Catholics, I mean the converts: Ronald Knox, Arnold Lunn et hoc genus is their intense self- consciousness. Apparently they never think, certainly they never write, about anything but the fact that they are Roman Catholics; this single fact and the self-praise resulting from it form the entire stock-in-trade of the Catholic literary man. But the really interesting thing about these people is the way in which they have worked out the supposed implications of orthodoxy until the tiniest details of life are involved. Even the liquids you drink, apparently, can be orthodox or heretical; hence the campaigns of Chesterton, ’Beachcomber’, etc., against tea and in favour of beer. According to Chesterton, tea-drinking’ is ’pagan’, while beer-drinking is ’Christian’, and coffee is ’the puritan’s opium’. It is unfortunate for this theory that Catholics abound in the ’Temperance’ movement and the greatest tea-boozers in the world are the Catholic Irish; but what I am interested in here is the attitude of mind that can make even food and drink an occasion for religious intolerance. A working-class Catholic would never be so absurdly consistent as that. He does not spend his time in brooding on the fact that he is a Roman Catholic, and he is not particularly conscious of being different from his non-Catholic neighbours. Tell an Irish dock labourer in the slums of Liver- pool that his cup of tea is ’pagan’, and he will call you a fool. And even in more serious matters he I does not always grasp the implications of his faith. In the I Roman Catholic homes of Lancashire you see the crucifix I on the wall and the Daily Worker on the table. It is only the ’educated’ man, especially the literary man, who knows how to be a bigot. And, mutatis mutandis, it is the same with Communism. The creed is never found in its pure form in a genuine proletarian.

Is this from Wigan Pier?

>If you take Catholicism seriously you aren't a true Catholic.
Subversion game on point. I have never heard that point about the tea before though, and it does sound a bit autistic.

>Further, the most important aspects of their Catholicism consist of scoffing at Protestants

it's to make up for genetic insecurity for being the illiterate yuropoor hordes for 500+ years now that its illegal to roast scary huguenot clockmaking wizards

imagine thinking Chesterton is a good writer? it must be really comfy to be that retarded

Trad Catholic is basically just Catholic that's educated in theology and shuns various elements of modernity. Catholic communist is just a communist that uses Catholicism as a vehicle for it. And how exactly is a person believing x and reading x related literature strange?
Catholicism, if pious, is completely hegemonic and rules over the minds of the faithful totally, which is why Protestant fiction and Muslim fiction and philosophy (Islam had a breef period) don't in the same way Catholic fiction and philosophy do.

George Orwell wasn't very good was he. I enjoyed 1984, Homage to Catalonia and Down/Out Paris and London but this observation seems a bit juvenile. Or maybe the times have changed that much

This phenom is evidence Catholicism is for idolators. Islam and Calvinism are the only way.

It's stupid because the example of tea versus beer and Chesterton with him might as well be a joke and even if it isn't, it's a marginal one.

>I don't mean real Catholics

What absolute trash. So IS this Orwell? Because it sounds like Orwell.

"Real" Catholics are Catholics who try their hardest to adhere to the teachings of the Church. It doesn't matter if they're cradle or convert, what matters is their active behavior. If you're born into a Catholic culture but don't actively practice your faith you're just a fake Catholic, and you're damned to Hell.

It’s the same as kids larping as atheists last decade. Edgy teens will go against whatever is in vogue, and we just happen to be in a terrible bout of secular self-absorption, as the aforementioned atheist larpers grow up and never evolve their beliefs. Catholicism is the religion of choice right now as it is the clearest counter to both Islam and Protestantism, which have established themselves as the dangerous religions of our era. That and Francis is speaking to the heathens with his sacrilege.

I have yet to meet a single Catholic larper in vein of the atheists that I still meet quite often. You will not have an easy time equating the two.

calvinism is absolutely vile lmao

Are you sure you haven't just been online too much? Who are these "people" you speak of? People you've met IRL?

I know a lot of Italian girls and they all identify with catholic shit, as in, they acknowledge that they grew up in a catholic household / school with various rites, but it never goes any further than that.

Religious people should be banned from Veeky Forums.
...and voting

k but then imagine how much better it would have turned out if only christians could vote

triggered cathoics

Chesterton was much smarter than Orwell, and Orwell never got over it.

You mean they are Catholic apostates?

>Edgy teens will go against whatever is in vogue
Except it takes commitment and real effort to be Catholic. Larpers will give up on the first Sunday when they realize they have to wake up early to go to church.

Stop kissing Three-hatted Papa's ring and get TULIP'd on heretic

>he doesnt go to evening mass

cuck

t. Satan

>sacrilege
Except nothing he's said is sacrilege you pleb

Catholicism is the easiest thing to cling to if you want some religious ideology to prop your ego on. Other religions will make you look like a fool in most cases unless you're seriously committed, at least more so than Christianity in the west. It has a massive wealth of culture and history to hide behind, and it has a clear contrarian element in countries that are majority Protestant as well as being more accessible than the Orthodox.

Catholicism is a comfortable pre-modern literary tradition that one can cling to these days. Usually these are people who can't cope with contemporary ways of thinking/living and prefer the structure and institutional legacy of Catholic philosophy. Finding deeper meaning in a completely libertarian religious landscape is unquestionably difficult - it makes sense that people go back to more stable religious identities in the western tradition.

I sympathize with this view even if I can't fully understand it (I managed to be fully Catholic about half a year until the manifest absurdity made it impossible to continue).

Why is the idea that people go into it not due to some Freudian psychological reasons, but because they become convinced philosophically, aesthetically and emotionally (in relation to literature) that Catholicism is simply true hard to stomach to people? Many people exibit this tendency to prescribe anything they disagree with to psychology.

youtube.com/watch?v=DH53uFBOGbw

> videos
barking-moonbat.com/God_in_the_Dock.html

Catholics can lick my balls. They aren't real Americans.

the local OTO does a gnostic catholic mass every sunday to recruit new followers.

I thought this was by a catholic thinker but wikipedia says its just the intersection between Christianity and communism.
the only thing I could find regarding his spiritual beliefs however is that he father was a jewish railway employee.

I think OP means that there's a catholic thing on Veeky Forums. I don't understand what attracts them to Veeky Forums at all

I'm Irishfag, and although it's taken people here a terribly long time to stand up to the church, more and more of us are openly secular and want the bastards out of our schools and hospitals. Good fucking riddance.

Why are Catholics bastards?

cringe

This is accurate, although in my view it's almost entirely English (or Angloboo) Catholics that are like this. While the 19th/20th century English converts and previous generations of recusants and resistance were overall of substance, I get the impression that now it's just an in-club of aesthetic masturbation with a higher gatekeeping reading material threshold than usual. Same reason why Corbinista/tankie Catholicism is somehow one of the most popular combinations of "political Catholicism" despite being openly contradictory at worst and borderline contradictory at best. "Trad-Catholicism" is a bit like this too, but doesn't require reading as much communist wankery and is more in line with the reality of Catholicism in theory and practice, so it's less edgy as a result of not having to square the circle of combining two competing obscure ideologies.
The obscurity in the Anglo context is probably behind this peculiar combination. I imagine less than 5% of these people would like to defend a society in which wealth was communistically distributed (whatever that may mean) and the articles of the Catholic faith permeated the dominant culture, and the NKVD and inquisitors were standing over you as real authority figures rather than self-insert fantasy power plays or else not present in the imagined utopia.
In Catholic countries being a "communist Catholic" is only half edgy, and the Catholic part blunts the edginess of the communism, because it suggests you're adjusting your political persona to the reality of society and history, rather than the level of seriousness that photoshopping Xi Jingping as Pope while you cut off your dick would suggest.

Because Irish cultural politics is defined all the way through by moral idiots and intellectual pussies who don't tolerate anything outside groupthink kneejerk inside-the-box thinking, like the person you're responding to.
>Pre 90s: oppose pedophilia? YOU MUST OPPOSE THE CHURCH!
>Post 90s:support the church? YOU MUST SUPPORT PEDOPHILIA!
It's why the pedophilia scandal was allowed to happen in the first place, and why the (molested) baby was thrown out with the bathwater (which wasn't actually thrown out, just placed on a new altar as an object of worship in its own right).

>Pre 90s: oppose pedophilia? YOU MUST OPPOSE THE CHURCH!

No one ever believed this.

How Christian of you.

>No one ever believed this.
Evidently people did, otherwise the narrative becomes incoherent.
If there's no link between the lack of will to purge sexual deviants because they were priests, then it must be that Irish people tolerated pedophilia qua pedophilia until all of a sudden they didn't, which is not what happened, else it wouldn't have been particularly focused at the church.
And if it wasn't the case of secular power-brokers being unwilling to put the interests of children ahead of preserving the idea that people who happened to be in prestigious institutions could do no evil, then that implies that no one outside the RCC knew that pedophilic abuse was happening at all, which contradicts the idea that Irish society had an unhealthy deference to the church on an institutional basis, ie: that Irish society allowed children to be raped because the children were priests.

This is what I mean when I say the popular narrative is incoherent because it goes out of its way to dodge the question of subservient groupthink as a fault in specifically secular Irish culture, which church-bashing and pedophile hysteria has now replaced church subservience and pedophilie whitewashing in. Taking a nuanced position and a moral stand is anathema to mainstream Irish culture, even moreso now that it is just standardised American globalised "wokeness" now.

In technical terms, yes, but if he wanted to leave no doubts to his orthodoxy he wouldn't allow the current "confusion" of Amoris Laetitia or the death penalty.

>despite being openly contradictory at worst
How so?

Well I said "at worst", so it's not people who boil Catholic economic philosophy down to socdem and conveniently ignore the non-economic aspects of left wing politics that I'm talking about, it's straight up communist fetishists who "identify" with communism, not just in theory (which is outright condemned), but with the greatest persecutors of Catholics and Christians in general of the 20th century (and their predecessors).
That's just the ideological contradictions, ignoring the lifestyle contradictions.

> I don't understand what attracts them to Veeky Forums at all
This may seem insane, but, Veeky Forums is a board for literature and we come to talk about it.

>a stupid potato country
>best thing about them is their great faith
>lose that because too stupid and edgy
Good one you imbeciles

That's material heresy, not sacrilege (washing the feet of non Catholics is liturgical abuse).

Why and when did it become popular to denounce catholicism and religion in general?

>some people who said they were communists weren't nice to Catholics which means there's now an ideological contradiction between Catholicism and communism
No

>lifestyle contradictions
Like?

muh limited atonement.

I remember when TULIP was a bfd in the 80s. Seems like I don't see as much banter on that front anymore. Maybe I just run in different circles than TULIP fags.

A little bit before Socrates came on the scene

It wasn't exactly a popular act yet.

>>some people who said they were communists weren't nice to Catholics which means there's now an ideological contradiction between Catholicism and communism
Whoa there kiddo, you seem to have side-stepped my main point and rephrased an aside I made as an addition to my main point into a patently incorrect statement and portrayed that as being my main point.
And though you were very careful to say that persecuting Catholics does not actually create an ideological contradiction between the theories, and that was not what I said, it's so obviously stupid that only someone who wanted to ignore a greater stupidity could come up with it, the greatest stupidity being to say that people who murder Catholics for being Catholics don't necessarily have an ideological disagreement with Catholics, and that there's no conflict of interest in declaring support for both sides at the same time.
What I said was that communist doctrine itself is explicitly condemned.

>lifestyle contradictions
Well, I didn't go into it because in my previous post I was emphasising the contradiction between the ideology of communism and the religion of Catholicism, not particular personal failings individual square circles might have, but acceptance and engagement in LGBT transsexualism and thottery are to be found far more prevalently than what the Catholic religion would demand - condemnation.

>Secular values
>existing

>2017
>being a dirty, brainlet atheist

How is communist doctrine itself explicitly condemned by the
>inb4 gommunism is le atheeeistique

You did say that's just the ideological contradictions after taking about communists who identify with the great persecutors of Christians, so your post was saying that was an ideological contradiction.be more specific if you meant otherwise

Show me jesus saying where acceptance and engagement in transsexualism is to be condemned

>values
>existing

>How is communist doctrine itself explicitly condemned by the
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decree_against_Communism
Not hard to find.
>You did say that's just the ideological contradictions after taking about communists who identify with the great persecutors of Christians, so your post was saying that was an ideological contradiction.be more specific if you meant otherwise
The Decree against Communism is fairly clear, and not hard to find. Quadragesimo Anno also doesn't support reconciling the Marx-Lenin-PRC tankie communism to Catholicism, to say the least.
>Show me jesus saying where acceptance and engagement in transsexualism is to be condemned
Oh, this shtick...
Catholicism is not Protestantism, where you can pedant your way into any interpretation and out of any opposing interpretation by alternating between lax rules of interpretation for your own scriptural references and demanding near 1:1 reference for any opposing interpretation.
But if you must play the Protty game of reducing Christianity to the Bible and the Bible to soundbites, I summon Genesis 5:2 in attack position.

Banishing the Church from Ireland will be its ruination. You will be a scraped and forsaken island, given over to the atheists and the pagans, to a terrible end. The fairies will come back into power, and you won't like their results.

That only applies to materialistic and atheistic communism, did you even read my inb4

Christianity is the Bible you disgusting man-worshipper.
And genesis 5:2 refers to the initial state, but the state of humanity is obviously changing. Genesis is also obviously a simplistic creation story. Would you say that all women always have one rib more than men because that's how they were created initially?

>it's a if there is no God then where does your morality come from episode

I know you're vaguely shitposting but top kek this opinion (when people have it for real)

The loss of faith was England's downfall, and it will be Ireland's too if you continue on the way you are going.

Western society is so fucked that even Veeky Forums reprobates are seeking God.

It's amazing.

What a strange timeline.

>I've noticed that a lot of people, regardless of their lifestyle, cling very tightly to their Catholic label

By "people" do you mean posts you saw on Veeky Forums? because if that what you are referring to it's just monkey signalling.

Outside the internet most people who take the word Catholic as their own are not very invested in it. I've never heard anyone in real life call themself any of the labels you described.

Joyce really was right that the Irish are "the old sow that eats her farrow."