I just roasted a pan of brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper and it's glorious

I just roasted a pan of brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper and it's glorious.

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/06/23/324895793/simple-tricks-can-tame-the-taste-of-broccoli-and-its-cousins
food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/cook-broccoli-kale-other-brassicas-so-they-actually-taste-good-0156990/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i had that yesterday and made blue cheese sauce to put on top

Do add balsamic vinegar and maple syrup next time.
Maybe some bacon as well
Make sure you roast them until blackened

I make coleslaw with brussels sprouts instead of regular cabbage and it's always delicious

I did blacken them. I don't know about messing around with bacon. They are delicious as it is, why upset the balance?

Just trust me on this one, bro.

Yucky, I hate brussel sprouts! I can only eat veggies that are drenched in vark sauce

>I make coleslaw with brussels sprouts instead of regular cabbage and it's always delicious
Gotta try this.

just had a shredded sprout salad desu

Brassica vegetables become bitter and sulphurous when overheated such as in frying or baking. Steaming is the best way to cook them, but overcooking them also makes bitter and sulphurous. Cook them only until they are bright green and no further or they start to get bitter and sulphurous. Most parents don't know this and almost always overcook brassica vegetables. Their children typically end up hating them because of this; since children are more sensitive to bitter compounds than adults.

fuck the bacon meme

put in some parmesan (or gruyere), iz good

>I did blacken them. I don't know about messing around with bacon. They are delicious as it is, why upset the balance?
They are indeed delicious with simply sea salt, and roasted, but cabbage in general has an affinity for pork, and smoked food, and sour things. There are a common 4-5 ways to prepare brussels for a reason. It works to brown them, to saute them with bacon or along side pork, and a splash of lemon, vinegar, or the sourness that also loves sauerkraut, it works together. Amazingly what that guy said about blue cheese also is lovely, as is goat cheese. Don't mix it too much though.

Add bacon and onion too

>I make coleslaw with brussels sprouts instead of regular cabbage and it's always delicious
I don't really like normal cabbage slaw, I'll try this in the summer.

Just boiling them until they're really soft and then home-made apple sauce is also godly

I love these things... sometimes i mess them up though

How did Brussel Sprouts become the meme/symbol of "yuckie" veggies that kids hate alongside Broccoli?

I used to boil the fuck out of these. I tried baking them once and I'm never going back.

Altho, 2bh, if someone served me a plate of boiled sprouts now, I'd still eat the fuck outta them

Yeah don't listen to that user, you cooked them right. I don't understand why people balsamic and bacon to that shit. The only thing I sometimes add is small whole garlic cloves to roast with the sprouts.

Before the internet, and before everybody and their mother became a "foodie," people in general really didn't know how to cook good. Burssles Sprouts were usually baked to oblivion in some godawful casserole and they really tasted bitter and bad and the texture was awful.

user if this is true I can't possibly thank you enough for every time I will get cabbage haters the right side of the fence

npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/06/23/324895793/simple-tricks-can-tame-the-taste-of-broccoli-and-its-cousins

>It turns out that brassicas' bad qualities are directly related to the good ones. They contain sulfur — which contributes to both the mustardy bite and strong smell, especially when cooked, or overcooked. Not only does overcooking give you a funky flavor and aroma — it can break down some of brassicas' benefits. But luckily, boiling isn't the only way.

food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/cook-broccoli-kale-other-brassicas-so-they-actually-taste-good-0156990/

>Back when American cooking was kind of a sad wasteland, it was common to be served a weird pile of mush that was once cabbage or broccoli but had been steamed or boiled into submission. Not only do overcooked vegetables taste terrible, exposing them to that much heat negates any nutritional value they might have. Plus, it actually makes them taste more bitter, since the overexposure to heat increases the sulphur compounds that gives foods like cauliflower a little bite in the first place.

Steaming is best, but you can still overcook it when steaming so be vigilant.

There's also another reason for that. Back in the 1980s and 1990s (not sure if still ongoing) there was a campaign be cereal and candy companies to insert "yucky!" sentiments into children Saturday morning cartoons when they characters were faced with vegetables especially brassica sp. Couple that with the standard overcooking learned by parents in the 1950-1960 era and you have a long enduring hate.

This also happens whit other greens like asparagus.

>Before the internet, and before everybody and their mother became a "foodie," people in general really didn't know how to cook good. Burssles Sprouts were usually baked to oblivion in some godawful casserole and they really tasted bitter and bad and the texture was awful.

I have several cookbooks from 130-75 years ago that tell you to only cook brussels sprouts until they're barely tender and several say to shock them afterwards. You're talking out your ass.

Wow. I can see why you're so proud. Thanks for letting us know.

Do you have any from mid-century? Thanks for playing.

Congratulations OP on discovering the only way it is possible to prepare edible brussels sprouts

I had somewhat unfolded, raw sprouts that had been charred on the outside at a michelin place in sweden last week, was surprisingly good for a non-fan of brussels sprouts

I cook them in my pressure cooker then brown them in a pan. I like to add Parmesan and lemon zest.

it's true about overcooking sprouts, but i find roasting them with salt, garlic etc dulls the bitterness and they are quite delicious

"Roasted" a pan of brussels sprouts? You mean fried, right?

Who the fuck fries brussels sprouts.

Who the fuck roasts in a pan?

Are you real? or are you a Russian shitposting bot?

Anybody with a roasting pan.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I enjoy brussels sprouts when they've been roasted until slightly brown and crispy on the outside. I've never found them to be bitter, but I understand how a child might, I guess?

just goggle genius kitchen and pan roasted sprouts.
http:// www. geniuskitchen. com/recipe/pan-roasted-brussel-sprouts-461160