How butthurt are you at never going to Oxbridge for undergrad and knowing people will see you as mentally deficient for...

How butthurt are you at never going to Oxbridge for undergrad and knowing people will see you as mentally deficient for your entire life and you will find it a million times harder to be successful in any endeavour due to your lack of a top tier network filled with brilliant and eccentric minds?

If you're American replace Oxbridge with the Ivy league, Stanford, and top 5 liberal arts colleges.

And it has to be for undergrad. Going their for grad school looks so tryhard

>doesn't know the difference between there and their
>lectures others about elite universities
Ayyyy lmao.

Elite universities are a cancer. The elite needs to spread over the country to improve the population as a whole, not gather at one point so that they can work towards their own goals only.

>Grammatical errors
>Unironically using "try hard"
>Doesn't even try to relate this to lit by saying "books for this feel" or "what books about this"

This is shitty b8 and you should feel like a non-human for making this thread. Sage.

The proles must work for the elite, not the opposite. It's the only way to make their shitty lives have some kind of higher meaning.

I met my girlfriend doing an abroad program at Cambridge. She went to an ivy, I go to a top public university.

Nobody is going to think of you as “mentally deficient” because a couple years after college no one will give a shit anyways.

>going to university
>aka "im too thick to learn things on my own"
LOL

My sister went to a top 5 liberal arts school and now works retail at walmart

The only way you're getting in an Ivy League school is if you had an ancestor sell their soul to one of the fraternities

Holy fuck, what is it with all the brainlets making literal -1/10 baits today?

I went to a very small university for my undergrad and MSc. I then went to a medium-ranking university for my PhD and am now at UBC for a post doc.

I am really happy with my education and wouldn't change a thing. I had a very personal educational experience and cultivated very strong relationships with my supervisors and other collaborators. Notably, my PhD supervisor is one of the top people in the field and is incredibly well-connected politically, which has helped me considerably in terms of networking.

If I'd gone to top tier schools my CV would look better, but at this point in my career, it's more about what you have done, what you are doing, what your "pedigree" is, can you successfully compete for grants. Not where you went to school, although this is definitely important when you are an undergrad or getting into grad school.

It would have been interesting to experience Oxbridge or an ivy league school though, just to see what it is all about.

>million times harder to be successful in any endeavour due to your lack of a top tier network filled with brilliant and eccentric minds?

90%. I'm 25 and I don't know anyone who really thinks much.

I don't mean fedora-tier "lolsodeep", but it's really like no one I can connect to understands why you would immerse yourself in philosophy and literature. It's basically
>does it get you a higher paying job?
>is it a topical pleasure (booze, sex, marvel movies, netflix, etc.)

Ffs my smartest friend is a doctor and he scoffs at my bothering to read Aristotle's Ethics.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good party as much as the next guy and I frequently enjoy talking about/engaging in topical stuff.

Oh well. I wasn't ivy-league material when I applied to undergrad (depressed, didn't realize there was such joy in study, thought pussy was the highest pursuit). I made my bed and I'll lie in it. I'm only 26, so maybe one day I can be part of a vibrant university community.

If you work for a living, how do you find the time/energy? I'm a white-collar, work credit underwriting at a bank, and I'm mentally spent by the end of the day.

Not only that, but going to college gives you access to technology and tools that you can't get from a library. Not all can be learned from a book, and experience is very important.

I literally can't express how much better my life has been since I attended Oxford. I went to a state school and gradually became the stereotypical moody, withdrawn sensitive type who both despises the quality of his immediate culture and feels a weird pride for having been raised in a sort of anti-intellectual and brutal environment. I was all set to take my Russell Group humanities BA and spend my life working as an anonymous, insecure wageslave forever thankful of being offered a job and forever too insecure to pursue my creative ambitions. The chip on my shoulder had become something of a wedge, and I felt too out of place regardless of my environment, too resentful and bitter to even attempt to make it in the artistic world. Then I finally applied for Oxford and got in to study an English MA, with reassurance that should I work hard enough a career in academia or within one of Oxford's affiliated companies would be almost guaranteed. I turned up as apprehensive as usual, and the first few days were spent regretting my decision and desperately feigning a cultured personality. But then I realized that the people there were just interesting and that the snobbery and exclusivity I had anticipated was just a myth borne out of my working class upbringing. I've since graduated, having spend the year dining in grand halls with groups of interesting people, dating several girls (one of whom, a petite Russian whose family traces back to the aristocracy, is now my fiancee). I work four days a week at a publishing company and earn £38k a year. I regularly meet up with friends from my college and visit Oxford for nights out and for meetings with my professors. The Martin Eden-esque novel I have been writing for two years has been selected for publication at a major British publishing house and, honestly, I could not have imagined a few years ago how great life could be. I come on Veeky Forums and see how pathetic you all are and just shake my head and chuckle. If I saw you guys on the street I would of course throw you a penny or discuss Bukowski or whatever "realist" writers you enjoy, but ultimately I would be able to tell within ten seconds if you're an Oxbridge grad and would dismiss you as a potential source of good company if you are not. I never thought I'd know what it was like to be objectively better than somebody else, for the value of my existence to be superior to the value of a stranger's, but now I do and I've never been happier. People are awed by power and prestige. All I need to do is mention the university I attended (if only for a year) and they immediately begin to hunch and look at their feet because they know they are in the presence of greatness.

>mfw quit my job to work construction and bouncing on the weekends

Funny but this made me feel all sorts of ways

>earn £38k a year
Is this considered good in the UK?

I saw a job posting for a research position at a prestigious institute that only paid like £50k, in London of all places too, Is this actually considered a good salary? I'm guessing you would live in some shit apt and be on a tight budget?

Who cares

>The mods took down two threads about books with no nouns but are leaving this thread up

ivyshit is low-quality education. You only think it is of value because it is painfully traditionalist and thereby makes you imagine being one of your colonial massahs.
>network
Mine is already better than any ivyshit's.

What is high quality?

How'd you get your network?

sincere questions.

Cut back your lifestyle to the essentials and work a low-effort part-time job

Fuck off commie

K-Kafka senpai?