Is there a more overrated writer?

Is there a more overrated writer?

author of your diary desu

Charles Dickens, and Nathianel (?) Hawethorne. You could tell just how much they enjoyed their unnecessarily overwritten prose just by reading their books.

Umm sweety, you write a line as good as

>Not all who wander are lost

and then we'll talk, okiiie? :)

Damn that’s a sick quote

umm no I'm pretty sure they are all lost, give them some rope if you're feeling benevolent, Tolkien included

How is Tolkien overrated? The consensus on him is that he's a competent but not amazing prose stylist, a masterful world-builder, and an interesting weaver of linguistic background knowledge into his fiction.

uh no, honey.

No serious reader rates him at all.
Literally only plebs think he's good

oh sweet summer child xD

These posters are correct
This post is incorrect

Dazai
Bukowski
Umberto Eco

Tolkien writes very nice poetry.

muhammad

Objectively right answer

>eco
fucking delete this

He wrote a seminal, genre-setting novel.

JK Rowling? Vastly overrated.

One created tropes, the other copied them.

DFW

Your neck beard is showing.

there he goes again

He's very good. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional or elitist.

He is not truly great, but no one claims that he is, at least in a literary sense. I've never seen anyone compare him to the likes of Joyce for instance. Any who do are as delusional as those who think he is bad.

He is worth your time to read, you will enjoy his world and plots and characters. He invented that perfect fantasy formula that makes the genre so popular, only he backs it up with decent prose and better world building than any of his imitators.

Fucking Stephen King

Plato.

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!”

A cold voice answered: ‘Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.”

A sword rang as it was drawn. “Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may.”

“Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!”

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel.

“But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.”

What is with this SJW shit? I thought Tolkien was a based conservative?

You know how hard it is to read a scientific book - textbook, academic or pop-sci - with no mention of Shakespeare?

t. high schooler

James Patterson. Check.

I sit by the fire and think
of how the world will be
when winter comes without a spring
that I shall ever see

OP is truly a faggot

Hawthorne's only value was as a friend and foil to Melville.

what

I know you're trolling, but for anyone else: this is an obvious callback to Macbeth

Very often there's some passage from Shakespeare. I was reading a textbook on animal behavior today and it had one.

>white knighting for the italian dan brown

Dickens talked about too important topics to be considered overrated.
Of a trashy genre, besides his fanboys are pretty extreme.
No one takes Rowling's writing too serious due it being childrens book and for that, they do the job pretty well.
>He's very good.
Nah.
>He is worth your time to read
Yah.
>He invented that perfect fantasy formula
It existed long before him. Only his world building stands out, at least when it comes to the amount of it.
Damn right.
No one outside of edgy kids rates him.
Rightfully so.

test