What can I add to a large pot of beans to make them good? not looking to make anything fancy like chili...

what can I add to a large pot of beans to make them good? not looking to make anything fancy like chili, just a pot of beans.

Other urls found in this thread:

bookpage.com/the-book-case/12480-recipe-week-pasta-e-fagioli
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bay leaf

Beans

Boullion or vinegar and salt or

For black beans, a sliced orange, peel and everything. Some crushed garlic cloves too

Saute some garlic and onion before you throw in the beans and water/broth. Salt, better than boulion, bay leaves

thanks all, I put garlic, bay leaves, salt and half a lemon because I don't have oranges.

Nothing, beans are disgusting.

The answer is a ham hock

Green pepper
Celery
Onion
Garlic
Bay leaf
Black and cayenne pepper
Smoked Sausage
Salt to taste
Serve over rice

bacum

Yep. That's it bro

plain "white" bean soup:
>boil beans with water only
>place serving in plate
>add lemon, salt, a little oregano

greek fasoloda - the ultimate bean soup:
>beans
>cut 5-6 carrots
>cut 1 onion
>cut a little celery
>a little olive oil (one small cup)
>peal 1 tomato and cut it in pieces (or use tomato juice)
>a little parsley
>salt, pepper

>greek fasoloda
this looks awesome and will be the next thing i make. 2 recipes I've found mention boiling the soup with an apple, whole, to thicken it and discarding when cooking is done. Have you, or anyone else for that matter ever head of doing this?

This could potentially work, but you'd need an acidulant to see any appreciable thickening.

tomato or tomato juice, so there is that.
is there something on the apple skin that cause it to thicken?

Cook them in a pressure cooker with a few slices of bacon/the "skin" of a bacon slab (don't know how to call it in english, to be honest). Shit's delicious, I'm telling you.

Make pasta e faglioli, my man.

bookpage.com/the-book-case/12480-recipe-week-pasta-e-fagioli

Bean by Bean is a great cookbook, by the way.

>1 pound of beans
>6 cups of water
>8 hours on low in slow cooker
>then add 1tbsp salt, and some cumin
>eat for next 3 days
this is poverty living

beans are great by themselves

Pectin, and it's throughout the tissues. Carrot skins also contain quite a lot of pectin though, so I find it hard to believe a single apple's going to make much difference.

smoked turkey wings and/or leg

>not salting the bean water heavily halfway through cooking

i do that too and i love it, ill never get sick of it

I approve of this, wholeheartedly.

Chopped cilantro if you don't have the soap tasting gene, but only top it off at the very end don't cook it into the pot. Just put some on top of individual servings.

a smoked turkey neck also works if you can find them.

Do not listen to any of these tards saying vinegar, tomato, or citrus. Afterwards is fine but not during cooking. Acid during cooking for whatever reason will make beans tough.

Anyway what these other guys said is true...
>salt
>garlic
>chipotle
>ancho
>bay
>cumin
>ham hock
So many things. Beans though flavorful on their own make a nice canvas for a broad range of color and shading. You can really add whatever as long as its something you like
>cinnamon
>clove
>achiote
>thyme
>celery seed
>rosemary
>oregano
>sausage
>bacon
>any animal part you like except
>onions
>boy penis
>mushrooms
>carrots
>Horseradish

Cumin is gr8 m8

Light-colored beans need herbsy seasonings, like celery, parsley, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves. Dark-colored beans need warm, spicy seasonings, like cumin, coriander, ginger, garlic, and turmeric.
Lighter-colored beans do well with light stocks, like vegetable stock or chicken stock. Darker-colored beans do better with dark stocks and meats, like pork and beef.

Patrician spotted

The fuck?
Except for red white black kidney lima and pinto all beans taste the same.

Slow cooking those kidney beans may kill you

UNCLE TOM SECRET HOBO GUMBO.

INGREDIENTS.
CHEAP BEANS BECAUSE YOU ARE POOR.
SOURCE OF FIRE.
NON MELTABLE CONTAINER
SHARP CUTTING LIKE TOOL.

STEAPS.
FIRST: SOAK THE BEANS OVERNIGHT. SINCE YOU ARE POOR, YOUR SOURCE OF WATER PROBABLY CONTAINS DYSENTRY. MALE SURE YOU BOIL IT, OR USE YOUR OWN PISS, WHICH IS STERILE, UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE DYSENTRY.
STEP TWO: CREATE FIRE AND BEGIN BOILING WATER FOR THE GUMBO IN YOUR NON MELTING CONTAINER. CARVING A POT OUT OF LARGE DECORATIVE STONES STOLEN FROM THE CITY PARK IS RECCOMMENDED.
3: THE SECRET INGREDIENT IS ONE DEAD HOBO. AS YOU ARE POOR, YOU CAN EITHER FIND ONE WHO HAS RECENTLY EXPIRED, OR KILL ONE. FEEL NO REMORSE, AS HE WOULD DO THE SAME TO YOU. IF YOU ARE A PANSY MAN, LOCAL GEESE OR SWANS FROM THE AFOREMENTIONED PARK WILL SUFFICE, ALTHOUGH THEY HAVE NO INGRAINED SPICES.
iv; SLICE AND BOIL AND SERVE.

No one thinks you're cool for making posts like this btw

Hell yeah.