Tfw can't read

>tfw can't read

Has anyone here lost their ability to concentrate on fiction? I remember as a teenager I could read huge slabs of books like Bonfire of the Vanities in one sitting without getting bored. I also read quickly but without skipping information.

As an adult I have gone through phases where I read a lot but these have died down to the point I am at now. I honestly struggle to get through a short story over 20 pages. Since my first manic episode a few months ago I just can't read fiction whatsoever, I get distracted constantly. I find myself going off on tangents if the book is interesting or day dreams if it is dull.

Wat do?

>tfw can't read

Stopped reading there, how the fuck can you type that post then?

Your brain has been degraded by years and years of mindless scrolling of instant entertainment and video games. Embrace those as your sole form of entertainment because there is no going back- your cognitive ability and concentration is never going to be the same as when you were younger or as other people who did not waste their younger years mindlessly consuming tv shows and movies and Veeky Forums. I'm sorry for your loss, brother. Sorry if this post was too long for you to read by the way, it must be hard being limited to reading text restricted to 120 characters. Maybe it will get better if you practice? who knows.

kek I wonder to what extent childhood reading affects brain function though

It's blatantly obvious what I meant in the context of the post.

Riddle me this. Why do I spend so much time shitposting here when I could be reading all the classics?

Because the classics are fucking boring. Nobody likes to admit it.

Except Gulliver's Travels.

Ya got prank'd. Go back to reading John green

You're right mate: entertaining reading evolves as anything culture, but it doesn't change that we traded for content.

I have the same problem user. I'm 43 now and I am sure I could read faster and longer when I was younger. It may be I keep getting distracted because my notebook is pretty always running.

> your cognitive ability and concentration is never going to be the same as when you were younger

that isn't necessarily true. concentration can be increased way above baseline through mental training, which overlaps with other cognitive abilities. lern 2 meditate

Manic episodes destroy your brain. Do whatever you can to avoid another one, or else it will only get worse.

Read Infinite Jest. DFW doesn't give a fuck about the reader so you have to use comprehension.

I will do. The only good thing to come from it was increased creativity - I have learnt guitar quickly and found a talent for song writing, which is great. Not so great was that for a time I believed God was speaking to me, I was offered a deal by the devil and I had to "stare into the vacuum" of Bob Dylan's eyes and absorb his soul after "I saw a black branch with blood that kept dripping". Fucking nuts.

a combination of chronic depression, anxiety, and poor diet have made it difficult for me to read without dozing off. i find myself falling asleep like every 5 pages and then have to reread from the last paragraph i understood and didn't just blow through half asleep.

Christ, a book has never literally been so dull it put me to sleep.

Sorry user.

>TFW don't know how to read or write
I'm dictating this post to another person right now

are you sure that wasn't a psychotic episode hun?

manic episodes often have synthymic psychotic symptoms

I started sub-vocalizing as an adult and its fucked me up pretty hard, I have to stop reading for a few days every time it happens.

I spent most of my childhood re-reading harry potter though, because the local library had fuck all selectiom beyond tamora pierce and david eddings.

Mania with psychosis according to my psychiatrist.

as i said towards the end of my shitpost, pls read the whole thing

>Manic episodes destroy your brain
What? I'm gonna need source on this

>tfw can't read
You came to the right place

Subvocalization is mostly an issue for speedreaders. It has been proven even speedreaders subvocalize, just less so than most other people do. If you're reading serious literature speed isn't your main concern in any case. If you're that concerned, just keep in mind that you will gradually get faster if you keep reading instead of worrying about shit that doesn't matter.

>LSD is harmless
>that pic
mother of ironies