Literature for samurai

I have decided to become a samurai

What is some literature that a samurai should read?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushido
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hagakure by Tsunetomo Yamamoto of course, the be-all-end-all of bushido.

And maybe The bOok of Five Rings by Musashi.

Quran

/thread

You cant just become a samurai, user.

>/threading your own reply

The Boy and the Samurai by Erik Christian Haugaard

>You cant just become a samurai, user.

I-is this part of my training sensei

Lone Wolf and Cub

The samurai is a minor aristocrat. You can't just decide to become a noble.

No. There's no good comparation, but the samurai is somewhat the equivalent to the european bourgeoisie, if the bourgeoisie was also military focused.

I mean, yeah you can train and all that stuff but you are too late, a couple of centuries late for being a true samurai

I'm pretty sure samurai literally means servant.

you better read up on some law because someone is going to sue you for cultural appropriation.

they had government pension and a given rank, and I am pretty sure this system of ranks was done away with after the meiji restoration

Nonsense, he should start beheading some peasants for not paying their taxes, it will all come along just fine

The Hagakure. It has such gems as:
- Don't sneeze or yawn in front of someone or you'll look like a fool. Hide it or lick your lips inside your mouth instead
- Don't pursue art since it's a waste of time
- "When faced with a crisis, if one puts some spittle on his earlobe and exhales deeply through his nose, he will overcome anything at hand."
- Make sure you keep a mustache, so when you are killed the enemies will take your whole head to prove you're a man since otherwise you would be mistaken for a woman
- Burn your books after you read them
- "To lay down one’s life for another is the basic principle of homosexuality"

That's at least what I got from it.

Are you Japanese?

Do you come from a family of samurai?

hello yukio

try starting with the book of 5 rings

I declare myself a Ronin as of this instant. I will wander the globe searching for worthy opponents on an ascetic warrior quest. This is the final goodbye, friends. I will not return

>Burn your books after you read them

Why?

Nigger how do you think nobkes first cane about?

That's the one you found in need of explanation?

Books are for nerds

Just skip the bullshit and commit harikari.

samurai is specific long-dead, social and economic class in feudal Japan. you can't become a samurai you autist. for starters, you need the base japanese culture and mentality of the time. which you cannot retain simply because you exist as you are and live in the modern world.

however, if you want to attempt to sythesise warrior-like values. you can study bushido and try force them into your psyche.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushido

should study shinotism and zen buddhism along with it too

It's not a comparison, they are minor nobility. That is a fact. Also the rising rich middle class of the Tokugawa are the bourgeois. Even if they were roughly analogous it doesn't change anything about what I said. They are nobility and you can't decide to just become one. Even if they were somewhat bourgeois that wouldn't change. Someone would have to make you a samurai otherwise you would be larping.

Etymology =/= meaning, in fact it has zero bearing on meaning. The only important aspect to meaning is the way it is understood. You could have a word which means the opposite of it's inherited meaning.
If it is true and the word means servant means absolutely nothing to their status as nobility. The word clue is derived from the Greek meaning a ball of string, that doesn't mean when I say I found a clue I mean I found some string.

>nobkes
>cane
Obviously nobility is the entrenched system of hereditary power relations enshrined in law that had some sort of arbitrary power. However that means one needs the power to effect the world around you for people to believe you are a noble to be one. Just saying you are going to be a noble doesn't make that happen.

Sun and Steel

>The word clue is derived from the Greek meaning a ball of string
That's pretty interesting. Thanks, user.

My diary desu
t. Mishima

Fuck you that's why.