France

Hello.
I come from France, and i wanted to know who's your favorite french author ?

bump

Hon hon hon hon mon amee! Omlette due fromage!

I haven't read very widely in French yet, embarrassingly, it will have to be Camus.

Hahaha

Sacre Bleu la baguette is my favourite

You should read "L'étranger" (The strange) from Camus. This is his best book

PROUST
PROUST
PROUST
BURKE
RIMBAUD (?)
HOULLEBEQUE
I KNOW THERES MORE

>BURKE
>FRENCH
FUCK FORGIVE ME I'LL BE LEAVING

Jules Verne

Do you know Julien Gracq ?

Celine

Montaigne.
Also like de St. Simon, Flaubert, Merimee, Bachelard, Barthes.
First six to come to mind.

Beigbeder is objectively the best French author by every measure.

No but thank you friend he looks good. Translation reqs? Or for French in general?

french here too
Claude Simon is number one
Georges Perec and Balzac then
on a lighter side, Manchette and ADG noir novels are also very interesting

I've only read translations and don't know enough French literature to feel comfortable picking a single favorite. Writers that stand out to me are Hugo, Houellebecq, Baudelaire, Maupassant, and Flaubert. I recently read a short story by Michel Bernanos in an anthology and thought it was one of the best things I've ever read in my life, but unfortunately it's his only work that has been translated into English. Once I vaguely fantasized about learning French for the sole purpose of reading his other stories, and maybe if I get this job I'll have enough freetime to do so. I have this hope that there is a vast and beautiful world of his writing waiting for me, but only if I am willing to do the work to get there. Someday!

Or for french in general !
You should read Julien Gracq, Albert Camus, Victor Hugo, Fernand Braudel (Historian), Voltaire, Emile Zola etc
All of them are already translated

I hope that you will learn French !

Léon Bloy and Stendhal.

Beckett.

Poe

Do you have any recommendations for how to learn conversational French in six months? It is a very useful skill for the degree I'm going to get and it could result in me getting paid more money.
Plus, it's such a nice language, and I'd love to know it just for the artistic value.

Actually it's Baudelaire.

>thinking he hasn't read it when his favorite author is Camus

He's the shittiest writer every language mixed

Stendahl or Zola

Also Tournier, he makes me chuckle.

Mallarmé, in fact.

No need to be angry, just because uou're just not smart enough to comprehend the genius, pleb.

Michel de Montaigne

Non, non. Valery.

It is D'Annunzio whom you wish to refer to.

Huysmans

Why is French literature so superior to every other country's own literature?

Marquis de Sade

French literature is like french cuisine, no better than many country's, or even worse. However, their PR capacities are remarkable.

I never understood why would anyone would like his books besides all the sex

Italian food is better than French food.

Samuel Beckett

English and american food is a disgrace to every human taste bud

No, that's the secret Anglo cuisine hidden away from foreigners and known only by a select few initiates. Everything else is just a way of scaring people off ().

B-but unlike Liebniz who wrote in French, he also unlike Liebniz wrote in Italian, vrai?

does he count? he wrote in French and English, and was Irish by blood but lived in Paris for a good deal of his life

While L'étranger is definitely up there, I personally like La Chute better. Way more elegant structures and narration.

>Claude Simon
My brother. His use of the participe présent is insane. Love him. Have you read his Nobel's discourse? It is one of the most magnificent piece on writing that I have read.

He wrote a whole lot in French.

Any simple kiddy tier books that aren't actual kids book? I just started learning le french

Various pasta dishes with veal cutlets and a few plates of fish. Unquestionably the best cuisine in the world.

Your local bumfuck nowhere takeout joint is not really all what Italian or indeed any other cuisine has to offer.

Anything my Zola, just need his excellency Eugene Rougon and The Dream to finish the series

I've been to Italy, dude. I was there for three weeks and the food, while good, is definitely not better than French cuisine.

I don't know what's more retarded: the I've been to Italy "argument" or the fact that you think there's any objective answer to an entirely subjective question.

That's fair enough. I'm just saying, I've been to more than just a "local bumfuck nowhere takeout joint." I totally get food is entirely subjective, but there's a reason why most people consider French cuisine as better or at least more refined than Italian cuisine, hence why most ambitious chefs train in it.

>why most people consider French cuisine as better
Where did you get this from? Italian is far more popular than French around the globe. You also seem to be under impression that French traditional cuisine and haute-cuisine are one and the same, which isn't true either. Personally I'm more fond of the French myself, but your hopeless ignorance is incredibly triggering.

it's fine cuisine, btw

Italian is far more popular because it's far easier and inexpensive to make, and there's also a larger Italian presence in North America. That's literally all there is to it.

Yourcenar is better desu

not a qt tho

Underated post

>choosing a lesbian fag hag over a horny little honey who loved the d

I shiggy

Daniel Pennac

+1

French gf

food
alcohol
sex
superiority complex

this
t. frog

Welsh rabbit with strong beer is awesome
everything else you can keep

yeah obviously but thats not going to happen within the next six months

Garrigou Lagrange.

For me, it's René Goscinny.

Baudelaire or Anais Nin

That's a rather brief skirt for the 1940s.

>swn put you up against the wall