Do you guys know modern writers who view the world throw a densely metaphorical lens?

Do you guys know modern writers who view the world throw a densely metaphorical lens?

I am talking of poets, essays, novelists, etc., that try to do with language the same thing that Shakespeare did, but producing new forms of metaphors and similes, producing imagery that uses contemporary technologies and creations as a source of comparison (for example, refrigerators, or Televisions, or petroleum refineries, or cars, or police alarms).

In other words, modern and contemporary writers with the most poetic prose styles, especially those who use modern objects as source for their imagery.

Some examples:

>Let us go then, you and I,
>When the evening is spread out against the sky
>Like a patient etherized upon a table;

From the The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, by T.S. Eliot. Notice the modern simile of using and “etherized patient”.

And:

>"There weren't any serpents in this garden, but there were flies: in the middle distance, vague flecks of death – and then, up close, armoured survivalists with gas-mask faces. And there were silky white butterflies. And great drunken bees, throbbing orbs that seemed to carry their own electrical resonance; when they collided with something solid – tree bole, statuary, flowerpot – they twanged back and away, the negative charge repelled by the positive."

From The Pregnant Widow, by Martin Amis. Here I call attention to the structure of the flies heads and faces being referred as “armoured survivalists with gas-mask faces”.

Another example would be Nabokov’s “The Refrigerator Awakes”

And another:

>“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.”

This one from William Gibson’s Neuromancer.

And

>"I might even get rich - small-town rich, an eight-room house, two cars in the garage, chicken every Sunday and the Reader's Digest on the living room table, the wife with a cast-iron permanent and me with a brain like a sack of Portland cement. You take it, friend. I'll take the big sordid dirty crooked city.”

(Notice the simile of brain with a sack of cement)

This is by Raymond Chandler, in The Long Goodbye

Or:

>“I belonged in Idle Valley like a pearl onion on a banana split.”
― Raymond Chandler, The Long Goodbye

Or

>“I went out the kitchen to make coffee - yards of coffee. Rich, strong, bitter, boiling hot, ruthless, depraved. The life blood of tired men.”
― Raymond Chandler, The Long Goodbye

bump

Bradbury

What do you mean with modern? Contemporary? Any way, try Montale, he's the best Italian poet of the 20th century and he admired Eliot a lot.

Bernardo Soares
Alberto Caeiro

Coorecting myself, Alberto Caeiro's poetry is completely lacking of metaphysics.
Alvaro de Campos

This thread is old Veeky Forums. Love it.

All I can recommend is Zero K, which is DeLillo’s most poetic novel. I recall several instances of this but don’t have it on me at work.

Bruno Schulz

I have no idea but this is a good thread, have a bump

Post more examples

“Life is made of fear. Some people eat fear soup three times a day. Some people eat fear soup all the meals there are. I eat it sometimes. When they bring me fear soup to eat, I try not to eat it, I try to send it back. But sometimes I'm too afraid to and have to eat it anyway.”
― Martin Amis, Other People

"Even on Central Avenue, not the quietest dressed street in the world, he looked about as inconspicuous as a tarantula on a slice of angel food."--Farewell, My Lovely (Chapter 1)

"Her smile was as faint as a fat lady at a fireman's ball."--High Window (Chapter 3)

"The voice got as cool as a cafeteria dinner."--Farewell, My Lovely (Chapter 15)

“The effect was as phony as the pedigree of a used car.” Farewell, My Lovely

“He looked very excited— about as excited as a mortician at a cheap funeral” The Long Goodbye

Seconding

Real interesting thread.
Can't participate now due to time and probably have nothing to share anyway. But this is what I'm trying to create and do in my own amateurish writing.

>Prisons are to crime what greenhouses are to plants

harry whittington

>Fear is a pair of handcuffs on your soul.
Faye Dunaway,

Annie Dillard. She may not be exactly what you are looking for put I'd put her in this vein. I'm sure she is far less under appreciated on this board than I think, but in real life very few people seem to have heard of her.

>Go up into the gaps. If you can find them; they shift and vanish too. Stalk the gaps. Squeak into a gap in the soil, turn, and unlock-more than a maple- a universe. This is how you spend this afternoon, and tomorrow morning, and tomorrow afternoon. Spend the afternoon. You can’t take it with you.

>Don't believe them when they tell you how economical and thrifty nature is, whose leaves return to the soil. Wouldn't it be cheaper to leave them on the tree in the first place?

>I saw the backyard cedar where the mourning doves roost charged and transfigured, each cell buzzing with flame. I stood on the grass with the lights in it, grass that was wholly fire, utterly focused and utterly dreamed. It was less like seeing that like being for the first time see, knocked breathless by a powerful glance. The flood of fire abated, but I’m still spending the power. Gradually the lights went out in the cedar, the colors died, the cells un-flamed and disappeared. I was still ringing. I had been my whole life a bell and never knew it until at that moment I was lifted and struck.

From Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, the most important book in literary development.

Mean to express that Pilgrim at Tinker Creek is the most important to me.

>“Life is made of fear. Some people eat fear soup three times a day. Some people eat fear soup all the meals there are. I eat it sometimes. When they bring me fear soup to eat, I try not to eat it, I try to send it back. But sometimes I'm too afraid to and have to eat it anyway.”
>― Martin Amis, Other People

This is bad. John Green bad.

I think that is quite hard for you to ace every move you make when writing bold and inovative metaphors. There are many such bad excerpts in Shakespeare too: if you are constantly trying to make language and imagery do new things you will write many cheese and bombastic words.

Of course you cannot hit it out of the park every time. But, attempting a bold metaphor does not excuse a weak one.

lovely tiger

a bump

Pynchon does this all the time.

I've worked my way through to Mason & Dixon, which has been super interesting because he has to hold back a little due to the historical setting. Even so, there are plenty of science/maths/spiritualbullshit-based metaphors to go round.

Its neither bold or innovative. Its just bad.

Consequently, although this gets a lot of hate, I think this is good and might suit your needs:

>So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.

>>So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.

I liked that....am I a pleb?

>A bikini is like a barbed-wire fence. It protects the property without obstructing the view. Joey Adams, in Strictly for Laughs (1981)

>He put that bottle to his head and pulled the trigger. Bill Anderson & Jon Randall, lyric from the song “Whiskey Lullaby” (c. 1999)

>Alcohol is an allergy of the body and an obsession of the mind. Rita Mae Brown, in Starting From Scratch (1988)

>and I swear sometimes/when I put my head to his chest/I can hear the virus humming/like a refrigerator. Mark Doty, in the poem “Faith,” in Atlantis: Poems (1995) (it's about HIV)

>Definition of a sports car: a hedge against male menopause. Anonymous Saying, posted on sign in Cape Canaveral office of the Mercury Seven astronauts, reported by Tom Wolfe in The Right Stuff (1979)

>Television, that insidious beast, that Medusa, which freezes a billion people to stone every night, staring fixedly, that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little. Ray Bradbury, the title character (Mr. Albert Brock) speaking, “The Murderer,” in The Golden Apples of the Sun: And Other Stories (1953)

>Some television programs are so much chewing gum for the eyes. John Mason Brown, quoting a young friend of his son’s, in interview with James B. Simpson (July 28, 1955); reported in Simpson’s Best Quotes of ’54, ’55, and ’56 (1957)

No. Its the only good thing he has written. Attribute that to any other author and they'd love it

This are from The Tragedy of Mister Morn, by Nabokov:

What is the ecstasy of death? It is a pain,
Like lightning. The soul is like a tooth, God
Wrenches out the soul — crunch!–and it is over…
What comes next? Unthinkable nausea and then–
The void, spirals of madness—and the feeling of being
A swirling spermatozoid—and then darkness,
Darkness—the velvety abyss of the grave,
And in that abyss….

Edmin: Enough! This is worse
Than talking about a bad painting.

(...)

DANDILIO: There is no sin on Earth.
Love, sorrows – all are necessary, all
Are beautiful… One must snatch the hours of fire,
The hours of love from life, as a slave grasps
At shells underwater – blindly, hungrily:
There is no time to prise them open, to choose
The sick one, with its precious tumor … They
Shimmer, suddenly turn up, so grab at them
In handfuls, whatever’s there, however you can –
And at that very moment when your heart
Is bursting, you push off with your hell
Convulsively, and, stumbling and panting,
Empty out the treasure on the sunlit shore
At the feet of the Creator – he’ll sort them out,
He knows… So let the broken shells be empty,
For the whole sea hums with mother of pearls.
And he who seeks only pearls, setting aside
Shell after shell, that man shall come to
The Creator, to the Master, with empty hands –
And he will find that he is deaf and dumb
In heaven.

Who would have thought he was a better poet when he was younger.

No. I like my metaphors perennial. If cavemen can't relate, it's no good.