If Veeky Forums is so lit how come we never talk about comic books?

if Veeky Forums is so lit how come we never talk about comic books?

comic books are technically literature, especially if you know your literary theory. that means graphic novels, comics and all such "rubbish"

Comics can certainly be literature.
Capeshit, with very few exceptions, isn't.
gb2 /co/ and stay there, kthnx

did you feel proud to say the word capeshit?

did it make you feel swell? Are you feeling a sense of jouissance from your cryptic and often bombastic sense of laconic idiom?

This. Capeshit has kind of polluted the definition of comics really, what's worse is not only is it not being confined to the medium it is in it is also spreading to cinema and polluting that too. If you want real literary comics go and read something like Charles Burns. A lot of his books are pretty rich in allegory.

This, mods plz delete this thread

If mods delete the thread it's really only proving me right.

Right about what? Even if comics were literature there is already a board specifically for comics.

There's also a board specifically for video game generals and Pokemon, and even one for older video games that doesn't implicate all of the media to fit snugly into those categories.

The repair manual for my truck is literature. I don't know why these retards always tell me to go to Veeky Forums.

well technically no, your repair manual is a manual; a reference. literature is a complete and authoritative approach to storytelling, such in the vein of epic poetry, prose and so on.

It's not just a repair manual. It's a complete teardown and rebuild. It's basically telling a story. It's basically a hero's journey.

laughing

Just fucking kill yourself, keep your 5 dollar comic book trash Veeky Forums to the designated board. You faggots also infect /v/ and /tv/ all the time.

Worse than /a/
Worse than /pol/
Fuck /co/

the fuck

what did I do to deserve this?

you're the one being bombastic here, not him.

By posting your trash outside of the designated board.

Daily reminder: cut horizontally for attention, cut vertically for results

>yea bro if it's got pages it's literature

actually no, if you look, he's the one being outright verbose. just because i use words doesn't make me histrionic or bombastic in the slightest. whenever a poster like him uses a word longer than four syllables it's supposed to MEAN something, when in reality, that is the exact definition of bombastic.

I try to get my point across clearly so I don't have to look at my posts in a years time and wonder what the fuck I meant. If you like talking like that it's up to you.

Name some good comics that aren't capeshit.
I'll start
Y - The Last man

Ahaha I was recommended that like five years ago.

There's a lot of Japanese stuff too, are those fair?

Hide namefag threads

Report namefags threads

Do not respond to namefags

i lose again ._.

will anyone ever surpass Alex Ross?

no

Sperg-tastic post, tripfag!

You sure picked a bad image as an example.

Slott's writing is as garbage as it gets.

I will

I have had a thought before about what it would take to get me to enjoy a comic book, and I wonder if any people who visit this thread could give me a recommendation...

I don’t read comics really. I have always found Superman boring since he is so overpowered and has no theme to his powers.

But when I was watching Man of Steel, I got a little taste of something that I liked that I wished the movie would have explored more. Superman is basically a God, and with that power comes great responsibility to do good right? He struggles with it though. He reads Plato as a boy, gets moral advice from his human adoptive father who loves him dearly, and he seeks the guidance of a pastor during the rising action of the story. It was honestly so comfy I didn’t even care about the fight scenes, I just wanted to see how Superman decided to be such a good and altruistic person who is always so kind.

Are there any comics about Superman that show his formation of being an altruist... him wrestling with the philosophy of justice, goodness, with the ethics of free will, and what it means to be a good person? Maybe where he could read thinkers like Plato, Aristotle, Marcus Aurelius, The authors of the Bible (is this ever made part of his world view?), etc. Not just necessarily big things but also being good in small ways, (truth, Justice, The American way).

Could Superman convince me to be a good, exceedingly kind and unselfish person? Like his “Boy Scout” reputation, but in a deeply thought out way?

Giving an alternative to ethical relativism and modern moral sophistry in the form of Superman would be really interesting to me.

Well you see that's because we have a board for comics already called /co/.

It's for much the same reason anime isn't discussed on /tv/ despite being a kind of TV show, because there's already a board for anime.

This actually is the thing that would do it for me. Being a person with superhuman powers would be complicated if you were trying to live as a Christian or be as moral and good as possible. Also why the fuck does Superman have an alter-ego? He’s as fast as a speeding bullet and doesn’t need to sleep or eat, he gets his power from the sun, so how does he justify taking a civilian job that is 40+ hours a week he could be saving people? Doesn’t it break down?

> Superman is basically a God, and with that power comes great responsibility to do good right?
Lemme stop you right there. The comic you're looking for is called All-Star Superman.

I took a Superhero Lit course focused around comics in 4th year.
desu I think a lot of manga I've read was closer to literature than the capeshit, maybe excepting Watchmen

It's not about his formative years, but Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman has him struggling with similar issues at the end of his life.

Is JoJo Veeky Forums?

And to add to this, I would honestly be more interested in him handling his daily life as a human “Clark Kent” as well, and how he does good there, rather than having some overarching big bad guy or mystery to the storyline to make it interesting. I just want to see how the individual who is Superman decides to live his life, in a way that could inspire me to be good in a world of selfish assholes and adults who lie and do evil things all the time.

I know but that was kind of the point. I needed to draw attention to capeshit so the thread didn't derail into off topic discussion about some artist and his legacy.

Wouldn't being a superhero require some really, really advanced knowledge of ethics?

Obviously they're basically illegal vigilantes so they're goal isn't enforcing the law rather so much as enforcing justice. But isn't that itself a very deep and complicated question, especially when it's entirely up to one individual to be the arbiter of it?

Is this the kind of thing they teach them at the X-Men school?