I'm going to introduce someone to challah, but I've never made it myself

I'm going to introduce someone to challah, but I've never made it myself.

Give me your best challah recipe especially to use as French toast.

Other urls found in this thread:

kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-challah-recipe
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's some pretty god-tier bread, but I could do without if it meant no jews.

Thanks for the /pol/ shit.

Its probably not the best idea to use your first attempt as an introduction to a well-established recipe.

Then I'll make it for myself first to test it.

But I can't buy it in this country, so it's either make it myself or nothing.

Here you go. Don't fuck it up.

This is from The Bread Bakers Apprentice by Peter Reinhart. This book has some of the best fucking bread recipes I've ever made.

>I can't buy it in this country,
Are you basically saying there are no Jews in your country?
What is this wonderful place that you hail from?

Nice, thanks man. Any chance you have page 84 handy? Presentation counts and I stuck at that part.

Yes, I am. But I'm Jewish myself, living in Japan.

You're lucky I'm still sober.

hahahahahahaha it look like 3 bepis :DD

You're a mensch. L'chaim, enjoy your drinks (responsibly).

I believe you mean g-d-tier bread

Well I'm glad someone said it :DDD

Challah is the best bread imo.

OP, serious question -- have you ever made bread before? more importantly, do you own a kitchen scale?

1. Years and years ago, so functionally no.
2. Not personally but I have access to one.

using weighted measurements is much much better than using volumetric measurements. but i do recommend KAF's recipe:
kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-challah-recipe

500g bread flour
10g salt
25g sugar
10g instant yeast
30g unsalted butter (if you use salted then cut back a tiny bit on the 10g of salt)
2 eggs with tablespoon of water for egg wash
50 ml warm milk
180 ml water though you may have to add more if the dough is looking like it will be too dry. You can add more flour while kneading if need be.

Combine the flour, sugar, salt, yeast, and sugar all in one bowl (or use some of the water and some sugar to activate the yeast if you aren’t using the instant variety). Mix up these ingredients. Now add the milk and the water (remember the water isn’t a hard 180ml adjust as you see fit so that it forms a soft dough).
Turn out onto a floured work surface and fold/knead the bread for 8-10 mins. Dont worry about overneading it, if you’re doing it by hand that wont happen.
Throw it in an oiled mixing bowl and throw some cling wrap on top. Let it rise for at least an hour maybe 2.
Tip out the dough, gently deflate, and cut it into 3 or 4 equal pieces. Roll them into “snakes” or strands then braid them (find a video for this).
Let rise again covered for 20 mins while the oven preheats to 400F or 200 C. Brush the dough with the eggwash and pop in the oven for 20-25 mins. When it’s done it should sound hollow when you tap it. Let it rest for like 30 mins at least then your good.

Gee Bill...

>But I'm Jewish myself, living in Japan
Im just curious, where are you from?

USA. Connecticut specifically.

jews are hated everywhere eventually

use this recipe. It's from a relative

and yes, it works great as French toast! we used to do that a lot with leftover loafs.

don't have time to make it
what's the challah cost?

>going to introduce somebody to a food
>but I don't know how to make it
Somehow I see this going very, very badly.

You actually learn to make things by making them. It's kind of crazy, I know.

Tell that to the cleats & lobster guy.