Anyone else have a bad habit of buying too many books instead of using the library?

Anyone else have a bad habit of buying too many books instead of using the library?

I don't like the library because it forces me to read a specific book at a specific time, instead of randomly picking up a book and reading it when I feel like it, so I buy lots of books. Money isn't an issue for me, I have lots, but books take up lots of space and it feels wasteful for the environment. I don't like kindles

Anyone else...

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/187275766
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reverse search shows nothing... that's a nice collection user

i went to the library today

checked out some fun things

>kant
>lewis
>pkd
>a summary of objectivism
>plato
>gilgamesh

and at the front counter i bought used copes of animal farm, prince, midsummer night's dream, crime & punishment and a few others for $1 USD

>Reverse search shows nothing
nigger

I read mostly nonfiction these days and love to look back at things I read to refresh my memory. I have 3 bookshelves in my apartment. I did start going to the library though for mostly fiction because I hate reading on my nice kindle for some reason.

FUcking damnit

My local library used to have a "battered books" shop where old books they couldn't rent out anymore were sold for like 50 cents

...It's currently replaced with a coffee shop, FUCKIN NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

that's a shit stack OP but yeah I'm in the same situation.

What do you mean 'bad habit'? To me, building a nice collection and rearranging my bookcase from time to time is only part of the fun

Being this new. . .

please don't tell me those are yours.

Yep, I've decided to finish everything I own before buying anything else. I'm actually really enjoying it so far, I have lots of great stuff I never got around to.

I have this problem. I want almost every good book ever but I don't have the money or space and it'd be so much easier to just steal from the library.

But I know you disgusting motherfuckers are out there who read on the toilet and don't wash your hands.

Second hand books are a resounding WRONG

I thought Summer was over

I used to, but then my father died and I had to get rid of his books. I only could take about 20% of them myself, the rest I sold, gave away, donated to libraries and charities and some I had to even throw away. It took many months to get rid of his stuff.

So no, no more books for me. In addition to the books in the picture there's four full-height bookshelves full of books in my apartment, and many boxes in the cellar storage.

Made me actually laughe out loud

>I know you disgusting motherfuckers are out there who read on the toilet
So long as you're not wiping your arse with your hands I don't really see why this is a problem. At no point is there book-hand-anus contamination. Enter toilet, pull down kecks, sit, read. No touchy-touchy.
>and don't wash your hands.
I hope you wear gloves whenever you're out in public and never let anyone into your home without a pair because otherwise this is completely moot.

Where'd your pa get those books by chance?

What PKD, user?

I've got 28 books waiting for me to read them. Just yesterday I downloaded another book and it's interesting enough that I'm thinking of buying it.

These books he mostly inherited from his father and his grandfather, as they are mostly older stuff. However, he did buy ridiculous amounts of books, especially from second-hand/antiquarian book stores around the town. He was especially interested in German/Austrian and Byzantine history, European Union stuff and in political sciences.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

the only one they had. never read it tho

>tfw really wanted Flow My Tears or VALIS

How do we get so many new users everday

Nice

Maybe nothing as beautiful as a bookshelf like that
libraries-for 3 years I worked a block away from a huge city library
every lunch hour I pawed through stacks, taking the escalator up and down the floors
changed my life

wanted to add 3 books about libraries/bibliophiles
Library of Babel, Borges (extremely short and online)
Name of the Rose, Eco
Club Dumas (movie called Ninth Gate)
never confirmed if book collectors love Dumas as much as portrayed and stated in the last book-does anyone know?

Not a single one of those has been read.

friendly reminder to lick the public toilet at your nearest local park weekly to strengthen your immune system. if you do this you should have no worries about getting sick off library books.

With a great bookshelf and the money, I’d buy the four-door Beatles residence
vimeo.com/187275766

Looks interesting. Can you give more information on what the book titles are? It's hard to see in that picture. Also, what book is that brick of cheese in the bottom left corner?

The "brick of cheese" is actually our family Bible which is pretty worn out.

Most of the books are in Finnish and they are quite random as well. I tend to put the older/fancier books in this shelf as this has glass doors.

Top row: Old children's books (Grimm and others), poems by Kaarlo Kramsu and Rudyard Kipling (totally unrelated), hollow "books" containing shot glasses, Herder's "Ideen zur Philosophie der Geschichte der Menschheit", J. L. Runeberg, "Canterbury Tales", Lord Byron, Shakespeare's plays in Finnish (brown books), more Runeberg, Goethe, Finnish folk poetry (Kanteletar), Old bible and some old religious/prayer books, Schiller's poems and Johannes Sleidanus' "De quatuor summis imperiis" (printed in 1683, the thick white book).

Middle row: There's Mika Waltari, Olavi Paavolainen, Katri Vala, Edith Södergran and Matti Kurjensaari on the left (they were all early 20th century modernists). Then there's Oswald Spengler, some Greeks/Romans (Horatius, Tacitus, Ovidius etc.), some books written by my relatives (on municipal politics, on chess and some wartime propaganda), then some philosophy like Schopenhauer, Stefan Zweig and Platon and on the right there's "Complete works of Shakespeare", some old fiction, Montaigne's Essays, Edward Westermarck's "Christianity and Morals" and Rafael Karsten's "Inca state".

Bottom row: The family Bible from 1849, Louis Sparre's book on Karelia, Aleksis Kivi's "Seitsemän veljestä", biographies of Mika Waltari, Mikael Agricola and C.G.E. Mannerheim, some old books on Finnish folk religion and folklore, Homer's "Iliad and Odyssey", Kalevipoeg, book on Elias Lönnrot (the collector of Kalevala), V.A. Koskenniemi's poems, some Finnish essays, books on Byzantine empire, Wien 1890-1920, Valaam monastery and Finnish counties, Gustav Bang's "Our time".

baserat, broder

I find it more aesthetic to have basically zero books in my home. I use a library card religiously and inter-library loan means I can get basically anything I want. I have a commonplace book where I collect and take extensive notes about each of the books that I read.

>I collect and take extensive notes about each of the books that I read.
do you do this for research or just to better take in the book?

I remember when that pic was posted a few months ago, everybody couldn't believe it was real.

Those semen splashed former library books aren't worth the $0.02 they ask for them

Damnit user this is what I want to do. Library books just feel gross in my hands and I hate having deadlines to finish reading

They are kind of my only primary possessions though so I don't think it's too big of a deal. Apart from my books I don't own much except basic replaceable electronics

Hello newfag.

What is research? I write on my own time so so return to my notes for inspiration, but also it helps me retain the message of the book later.

> people can't be trusted to wash their hands after they SHIT

we literally haven't left the dark ages

If you use a central city library, at least in the US, the books are the least of your problems
you’ll run the smelly homeless gauntlet
Chicago’s Harold Washington Library has ten or so floors and escalators-still can’t understand how you can smell the same homeless man even though you can see him so up, up and floors away on the escalators