Cast iron first aid

Bought this pan a few weeks ago, left to visit parents for a few days and my roommate did this somehow to my lovely steak pan. How do I fix it please? I heard your not supposed to wash cast iron, how else do I get the rust off?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KLGSLCaksdY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scrubbing rust and building new carbon layer. You can sand blast it, bit aggressive but it is going to leave only bare metal.

salt and oil paste and elbow grease should be enough to get rid of the rust

>I heard your not supposed to wash cast iron
You heard wrong.

i sure do see a lot of cast iron in restaurants

Put some 35% vinegar in there with baking soda and give it a good scrub with a metal wool sponge, rinse it out then coat lightly with dish soap and salt and bake it in at 250C for 3-5 hours, cool, rinse then you can butter it, bake in again for 20 mins and after it cools youre good to go

good lord jesus what

Don't have a sand blaster I'm afraid
I'll give this a try, is there some way to stop the rust forming again?
Please elaborate
??
Somehow I get the impression you may be willfully misleading me

to keep rust from forming again, after rinsing/washing with a mild soap, dry well, put on a hot stove for a couple of minutes to get it good and dry after drying with a paper towel

>Please elaborate
You should wash it every time it gets used. Usually pouring some water in while the pan is still warm and scrubbing it out with a sponge or scrubbing pad will be enough. There's no reason you can't use soap if needed.

I got to wondering, since I'm getting back into hiking and camping lately.
Could I season a rock?
I use the same sites over and over and if I could get a good seasoning on a flat rock and leave it at the site I'd have a few more options for campsite cooking.

Well that was simple. Thanks, I'll tell my lazy roommate to dry my stuff properly after using it.
Thanks too, that makes sense. I'd heard that washing the pan can destroy the seasoning, but I'm not sure how to season it anyway. I vaguely remember something about salted potato peelings?

between the elements and people being assholes, especially teenagers, I wouldn't trust a campsite rock to cook on. so unless you wanna lug it around with you don't bother trying.

>I'd heard that washing the pan can destroy the seasoning
Soap alone isn't going to do that. Cooking in it with foods that are highly acidic will damage the seasoning to an extent, though if it's seasoned well it will be okay. Really the only way you will remove the seasoning completely is by scrubbing it out with a steel scrubbing pad. This video covers the basics pretty well:

youtube.com/watch?v=KLGSLCaksdY

Wouldn't it just get rained on/licked off by critters smelling the delicious salty fats/pooped on by random critter/buried under falling leaves? Unless you mean burying it wrapped up in foil or something, but desu that seems more effort than its worth. I do like the idea of having secret pizza stones hidden around the place though

>I do like the idea of having secret pizza stones hidden around the place though
How fat art thou

I cook on rocks all the time, though. You get them pretty hot before you put the food on them and you get the food pretty hot after that.

Thanks brother that helps a bunch

Dont use soap after an agressive cleaning with water only u need to re oil the pan after u heat all the water off

Hydrogen peroxide.

Barkeeper's Friend, aka oxalic acid.

Nah I'm already blonde thanks

After that, a stainless steel scrubber. then a quick wash in dawn. Then you need to make sure its entirely free of oxides and put your curing oil of choice on it and bake it to 700F.

Start by beating your roommate to death with it

Just wipe it with salt water once or twice a week

>salted potato peelings
Nothing to do with seasoning a pan. Probably thinking of forcing patina on carbon steel. Seasoning is simply applying a light coat of oil and letting it cook onto the pan. Do that repeatedly for better seasoning.

>forcing patina on carbon steel

Pretty sure potato peelings are used to get rid of the waxy factory coating they put on carbon steel.

Maybe. I know there is a method of patina that uses all kinds of chips of media with different acids and salts to achieve different effects on different metals, but I’ve not looked far enough into it to remember any one specific method. I just use a mix of mustard and vinegar if I’m forcing a patina.

The only way to properly clean your cast iron is by way of high powered laser diode module.
If you're not using a high powered laser diode module then you're just some inbred pleb who shouldn't even be allowed a god tier cast iron pan.