Is this the best way to learn a language?

Some user linked this pdf: drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-Qs8ijddzcXzFkZGVzbmdHVE0/view

This way of learning a language, which seems akin to the way a child might learn, seems to be much more effective than other methods, i.e., learning grammar, conjugations, and such (which one can do once one has a working recognition of the language).

The pdf linked might as well be a children's book for a child who is learning their first language. It makes me think that perhaps the best way to learn would be to find children's books for a particular dialect and thereby follow a similar path that a native speaker might follow.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-Qs8ijddzcXzFkZGVzbmdHVE0/view
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, I forgot to add, one curiosity in this method is that one is essentially learning the language without using another as a crutch! In this way we might avoid thinking about the language through another, and simply learn the new one by itself.

is this book good? if yes, should I read this before or after wheelock's (if I should read both)?

>It makes me think that perhaps the best way to learn would be to find children's books for a particular dialect and thereby follow a similar path that a native speaker might follow.

pretty much how I studied Italian, my shelf is full of books for kids in it
still retarded at Italian though but I can understand it at least

I think the simplest way is to get some vocabulary down (duolingo is good for this) and then have some secondary material to study. Could be a text book, or childrens books. Whatever works best. Once you get to a point where you're not actively translating, but deriving meaning based on the actual words in front of you then you're getting somewhere.

yea, if you were thrown in italia, even with that retarded italian of yours, it would probably be enough for you to properly learn it in few months, which is why learning a language as a kid is natural, being surrounded by that language all the time

duolingo worked great for me. I did like 2/3 of it in 2 months doing about 20~60min a day. at that point I joined a international wpp group of people learning italian to talk to and started reading italian news daily.

Once I finished all of duolingo, I took 5 most used verbs (to see, to be, to go, to do, and another one that don't exist in english) and conjugated them in italian in all times (future, past, etc) as base to conjugate other verbs in my head. Kept talking in that wpp group and reading italian news, started to write a journal in italian and finally read a 120 pgs grammar book entirely in italian.

after this I finally started reading actual books in italian (le cosmicomiche by calvino, genesis, pinocchio, etc)

detail: native portuguese speaker, so it was not that hard because of the strong similarities, though I feel like I was too conservative in the sense that I studied a lot before tackling a book I could've read earlier.

anyways, took me a bit more than 4 months to get fluent reading and writing, and about 6 to be able to think in italian in my head (aka monologues in my head, like I do with english very often) and read/write with flow, witout having to think in portuguese first

That is a good method for learning modern languages that you hope to converse with other people with. But for learning ancient languages the goal is to obtain reading knowledge and orderly, logical thinking (since they are highly inflected languages).
These goals are best met through the traditional methods of learning grammar and vocabulary (like in wheelock). This has been proven by the Amercan Classical League, which has no reason to promote one method over another.

interlinear translations and rote memorization, to start.

Then?

not bad, better than what i used to use

I hate this disdain for proper study, and how it's somehow binary to learning through exposure. Learning grammar and conjugation will accelerate your learning and comprehension while learning "naturally". There is nothing wrong with good old fashioned book work, and abandoning it entirely is a good way to cripple yourself for no damn good reason. Children are idiots and don't have the advantage of being smart enough to learn grammar as fast as adults can, that's why it takes them years and years to get competent ( even though they absorb language like a sponge compared to adults) when you as an adult can reach decent competency and can be reading books in less than a single year or even in 6 months or so if you really try.
Use as many different methods as possible, be an absolute vulture, download 5-10 different study books/grammars/etc. Don't just follow a "course", make your own. We live in the internet age now, and we have access to damn near everything, take advantage of it.

>drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-Qs8ijddzcXzFkZGVzbmdHVE0/view

I have this book and used it but I don't think it's the magical language learning nepenthe that reddit thinks it is.
It just seems like a lot of people want some kind of shortcut to escape the pain of serious study.

You aren't a child so why would you model your learning on how a child supposedly learns?
You have the mental faculties of an adult. You should therefore use that to your advantage.

Have you heard a 10 year old child speak? They make tons of mistakes and their level of sophistication is laughable. That's 10 fucking years of "immersion."

Just sit down and fucking study the grammar like a big boy.

Speak for yourself, I was spitting mad prose at 10

>You aren't a child so why would you model your learning on how a child supposedly learns?
Because almost all modern children successfully learn how to communicate through a language and lots of modern adults never successfully learn a second one. It's not really the same thing as learning how to play checkers or something, it's more like a biological thing that just happens to you as part of growing up. You *can* treat it like learning any other piece of trivia, but there's reason to believe that approach is not very similar to how children with their naturally very high success rate learn how to speak their first language.

No you weren't.
I received awards for my Hemingway-esque elementary school short stories and they were still quite bad.
The fact that you use nigger slang doesn't inspire much confidence either.

It's almost like you didn't read the rest of my post.
Children learn it the only way it's presented to them.
If you are an adult you don't have to limit yourself to that. You (theoretically) have the energy, focus, and resources of an adult. Copying a child technik is a joke.

Also, you are never even going to get approximately close to the amount of "immersion" that a child experiences. They are all grouped together and inundated in a massive government project all day 5 days a week designed to ensure that they master this material, not even to mention their family. Lingua latina replicates that? Seriously?

Nigga you wack, I ain't the slightest bit black

No, I read it. I just don't agree with you. You're assuming deliberate adult techniques are somehow better than natural developmental learning for language when all the evidence points in the opposite direction.

*tips fedora*

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things and picked up a grammar book

You are the equivalent of a child relative to a new language.

Except my mind doesn't absorb nearly as well, I'm not immersed nearly as much and I can understand what a participle and gerundive are

Man, i just watch anime in the language i want and have google translate when a new word appears

Of course i haven't been able to do this with sanskrit, though

got this for german, french etc?

You using immersion won't be as good as an actual child using it but you will be better than an adult using explicit grammar rules.

not the same thing, but for those two there is German for reading and French for reading, by the same author. I've seen it get a lot of praise here and in other sites

well i can't seem to find the links

have you looked on b-ok site? I looked for both there last week and found both

no

try it!