Every character in a contemporary model will have to have a cellphone

>Every character in a contemporary model will have to have a cellphone

novels written in a post-radio/telephone, pre-internet age always have the potential to evoke the feeling you get when combining modernity with anonymity and mystery.

sending telegrams, leaving messages. wire fraud. phoney cheques. phone calls from the drug store. 1c malts. millions of people are able to be contacted in real time, but it's still easy to disappear.

the now is a homogenized junk dystopia without any intrigue.

Maybe you're just jaded with shitty cyberpunk. Or not. In fact new sci fi usually acts like internet and CCTV stopped existing.

Rise up to the challenge OP

>ywn make love to a innocent but curious supple qt with luscious lips and braces

I've written several contemporary short stories and I haven't really had a problem with this. You can have your characters talk on the phone, text, and even web surf without making them less compelling. The point is that you also have to make IRL stuff actually happen to them, because things happening in the real world is the substance of your story.

>implying the 'internet' wont stop existing once the ad-revenue bubble pops and blockchain takes over.

who is that cutie???

a bitch im fucking

>the filename

>a bitch im fucking
(a work of fiction involving mobile technology)

It's Lauren from Churches so I don't think so user

You might not know this, but normal people still meet most of the time irl.

It can be a good thing, texting is text isn't it

I saw an internet show with cazzie david start with her post break up and depressed in her room googling 'how is demi moore doing' Pretty funny . Not the show, just that moment.

Why the fuck would the blockchain make the internet disappear.
That makes no sense my dude

for some reason, I find it really hard to include modern stuff in my stories... I guess I'm just a fool

>novels will only be about normies

Are you literally retarded?

>muh normativity

I didn't know justin long posted on Veeky Forums

>Implying this won't just mean ads disappear and are replaced with websites using your computer to mine cryptocurrencies

the more processing power is needed the less effective that's going to be. If you can't mine enough currency to pay for the pageview then you'll still need to fund it and the more mining happens the less each view will generate

Not really

>Every character in an 18th century novel will have to have a spinning jenny

>Every character in a 19th century Russian novel will eat some local Russian food

How does that affect storytelling, OP?

>realise all characters in book exist in the same time frame of world-famous 16 year old nigger rappers, Snapchat, and Jeremy Corbyn meme pages
>put book down for being too "Reddit"

but what does it mean,from a literary perspective, to have a cellphone

what does it mean, how do you charaterize a person in your story through the use of the cell phone?

what does the cell phone symbolize?

Just make the character paranoid, anti smartphone (dumbphones are easier to deal with inside a story) or have someone steal it, or the character loosing it, showing how dumb they are at the same time.
A setting where they can't use one would work too. Whether it's a military facility or underground.

Neither things are nearly as universal. Whether you're a CEO, burger flipper, eight year old kid or an immigrant from Somalia, there is a good chance you have a phone.

>Every home in a 1980s novel will have a landline

Phones are more similar to a lock at your door.

>want to write a novel in epistolary form
>no one writes letters today
>write it in cellphone messages instead
>no one writes those either
>write it in fb messenger instead
>no one uses those anymore
>green text it instead
>pen name: user
>nobel.jpg

Write a novel, not in tweet form, but having every sentence be exactly 140 characters nonetheless, combined with an otherwise conventional plot design.

I've considered simply excluding cell phones, computers, etc. from the story and never explaining why they aren't there.

The internet is great for capturing a feeling of mystery and intrigue. ARGs would not have been such an explosive subculture in the early and mid-2000s if this weren't the case. The 2016 documentary Tickled is a real life example of an extremely compelling and disturbing digital mystery. The internet is an outlet of elaborate deceptions easily carried out by individuals will no resources, it adds a extra fold to the substance of mystery by supplementing passive gaps in information characteristic of pre-internet mystery with active misinformation.

My novel is set in 1999 so I don't have this problem.

I'm currently writing a thing taking place in the current year, and cell phones etc simply aren't mentioned because nothing about them would be of any importance to the plot.
Then again I don't actually spend a lot o time on my smartphone myself so it feels very natural anyway.

I find it odd but a lot of people seem completely uninterested in actual mysteries that they find or are presented with online, preferring the ones that are either presented in a wiki format or just obvious fictions. I love Tickled, nobody else gives a shit though.

My novel is an urban fantasy story where the main character is at the Vatican in 2006 when it's destroyed in a terrorist attack. He wakes up with temporary amnesia in 2017 and has to learn about iPhones and come to terms with Trump and other societal changes while also navigating the mirror-world of the astral version of his city. It's a lot of fun to write, hopefully people will want to read it.

>and come to terms with Trump and other societal changes
Lol.

I'm Canadian and the setting is Canadian so the president won't be a huge part of it, just a small "wow the future is strange" sentiment. I'll focus more on the strange (to 2006 eyes) sight of literally everybody with their noses in their phones.

Brilliant.
Switch to 280 in the last chapter.

If by lock you mean a gaping hole, I guess.

The first chapter should be about a guy who's having a seizure because he cannot find his phone to call a cab so he can't get to the library

Most stories are about relationship.
If your story is about that, your characters meet irl.
If your story isn't that . . .
>Every character in a contemporary model will have to have a cellphone
Is no longer a problem, cause you write about a neet with no life.

by the time you are done writing people would be sick of trump posting since a lot tv show are doing it now. a single mention will turn them off, just have bernie win

And the less views you get on a page the less ad revenue you get, the websites with the most views scale their profits the most as they already do.

> every post will be made from a cellphone

kek

>all this triggered cucks
She will never know you exist, and even if she did she would scoff at your rank fat asses. Stop being white knights.

There's a manga artist I like that does this with his stories. His newer stories are set in some sort of neo-2006 with no cell phones or computers. Everything is modern but the characters live like its the 1970s.

The telephone has always existed as a conceptual possibility within the technology of writing. Its actual figurative presence makes little difference to the paradoxes of communication, distance and deferral that are the forgotten trace at the origin of all our literature.

Are you hearing voices again, user?

Expect a litany of new words to describe the phenomenon.

Why are you torturing me with these jezebels?

i appreciate you

Most people on this board probably get 1 phone call per week.

>Projecting

I need someone in my life, probably.

Post your number i'll call you once a day.

I disagree, you can have both.
The trick is slow down the net till 56k or lower.

>one call per week
Didn't know we had some many normal fags

>She will never know you exist
Unless your name is Brandon, that is.

It's either an automated telemarketer or my mom.

Poor brandon

Literally none of the stories I've written even mention cellphones. I think I may have mentioned a VHS tape and an answering machine at some point. The stories still work without them.

>he doesn't even incorporate groundbreaking ideas of the latest technology into his own literary technique
what are you even doing?

Such as?

cellphones