I'm a simple guy I don't need much money to live

I'm a simple guy I don't need much money to live.

I want to restart my life somewhere in the culinary industry.

I enjoy cooking for my self but watching the kitchen as I was a dishwasher in my teens I realize I don't want that stress.

I'm think catering for small events or a food truck.

I have no background in cooking. I'm simply asking for advice/experiences/ideas.

I'm willing to go to school if necessary.

wat do Veeky Forums ?

Veeky Forums doesn't give advice

>I enjoy cooking for my self

Then for the love of god do not take a job in the food industry.

I really don't know what to do otherwise. I f I have to go back to another dead end job or retrain in something that I don't like then I might off my self

I like the idea of running a food truck serving something simple like poutine or burgers.

Catering would be safer than a food truck as it has less expenses and you fulfill a large amount of orders at once. Once you have enough capital and done the paperwork (food handling, business forms), perhaps consult an accountant and go from there

Whatever you do, be good at it and don't get trapped with a money pit like a food truck unless you know how that business runs profitably

thank you. Where do I start other than youtube cooking? I just want to make simple food that tastes good. I doubt a catering company would hire me

Do what you love and always be passionate about it op :)

That I can not tell you. To be in this business, you need to be passionate, business-savvy and considerate of all the things you need to do to launch your business

I would not recommend doing this and quit working, but rather work on the side instead of putting all your eggs in one basket

Read up on things like making your own llc, profit margins for food, local trends/demands

good idea. I have a lot of reading to do

Don't go to school. Go to a legit restaurant and get literally any job. Make it a year working at an established place and then think about starting your own place. It's terrible, user. Only people who came up in the industry and literally can't do anything else pursue it.

can't be worse than a dead end office job, walmart job, I thought about bartending but I'm pretty short and find my self shutting my self in often

It's not about whether or not it's worse than some office job. It's going to be more work, more stress, and less pay, and the food industry is literally the definition of dead end. My main point was that you shouldn't even begin to think about starting some kind of food related venture without having experience in the industry; it's literally because everyone underestimates how much work it really is, and how shitty the margins are, that over 90% of new places go out of business within the first year. Seriously, food television has painted a skewed picture of the food industry. It's practically being like an indentured servant, and you're always expected to go above and beyond (even if you're the fucking owner), yet you'll never make anything close to a GED office fag makes despite shortening your life by a good third, even if you don't become an alcoholic.

that's too bad maybe I should re think my angle. O well it was to dream a little

O well it was *nice to dream a little

>my angle

You didn't have an angle. Seriously, do what I initially suggested and go get a job in a real restaurant and stick around for at least a few months. It is not a glamorous profession.

I did when I was in my teens, a bit of fast food in my twenties. I get it, its not glamorous. I wouldn't want to run/own/work a restaurant

>a bit of fast food in my twenties

I specifically said, "a real restaurant" for a reason.

fair enough, so find a "real restaurant" get dishwasher job and spy on the kitchen?

Get a fucking cooking job, dum dum. Or start your catering company with zero cooking experience and see how that goes. I honestly couldn't care less; you're obviously a failure, and are going to be a failure at whatever you pursue.

>I'm think of getting a food truck
>GO WORK IN A REAL RESTAURANT
>but I don't want to run a restaurant
>SHUT UP AND SO AS I SAY
>uh, so a dishwasher then

ck - Dream Crushers

>ck
Kill yourself immediately

This user doth projecteth too much.

? That's what I said when I made the thread catering/food truck

Why are you so triggered man? I feel like i'm sounding passive aggressive now and I'm not trying to be honestly, cheers

That's your father talking.

sux that your hotdog stand failed, dude. that must be ruff.

chin up, eh.

>your hotdog stand

I'm an alcoholic sous chef at a higher end contemporary American/Italian restaurant.

well maybe if you didn't specialize in only cooking "sous" and expanded your craft to cooking other things as well then you might not have become a alcohol. dummy.

A commercial kitchen is a commercial kitchen. Working in a "real restaurant" is similar to working fast food except there is more stress without significantly higher earning potential or room for advancement.

nice post, made me chucke

>mission complete
Glad you saw it that way because it shows that there's still good in you.
Your gonna make it, user.