How are you supposed to tip at a bar? Americans only. I realized I never tipped at a bar when I was young...

How are you supposed to tip at a bar? Americans only. I realized I never tipped at a bar when I was young, and probably was an asshole. So how are you supposed to do it?

the fuck is wrong with your hair

Dollar a drink would be best. Otherwise a few dollars is okay if you’re having more than one.

Tips at bars shouldn't be a %. It should be a set amount of $ per bottle served. Especially with expensive drinks.

This is what I have always done.

>tipping people for doing their job

I always tipped about a dollar or so per drink.
Get beer for $3, pay with $5, keep a dollar, leave a dollar for tip. Use other dollar for the next tip.
Since I was consistent the bartender would serve me before other patrons that had already been waiting.

If you're a waiter/waitress I tip you 10-15%. Never 20%.

If you're a bartender and I'm only having 1-2 drinks I do not tip you.

If you have a problem then find a job not reliant on tipping you fucking dipshits.

>There are people who pays tip to the bartender for doing their fucking job
>There are people right now who tips

Must suck being american

My brother had a different way of going about it. Give bartender $100 and tell them to keep beer coming until we left or until we hit the $100 limit. If we didn't drink $100 worth, the rest was the tip. If we did, he'd give them an extra $20. Our designated waitress always came around to be sure we weren't running low.

I normally do a dollar a beer, plus a little more after I've had like 6 or 7. I'm a regular at my bar and know all the bartenders and they know me, so I always get free drinks. I reciprocate by tipping heavily. It works out in the end. At other bars im not quite as generous. But if you have a regular place, it helps to be known as a good tipper. You will get special treatment.

>buy something
>pay 20% extra of what it cost just because
yeah no

I think we can all agree that most people are shit. Having a job that entails dealing with random people is shit. Tipping helps to incentivise those people into better service without the shit attitude. I can't imagine any amount of money would be enough of an incentive to keep your collective shit attitudes at bay.

Tell me why filling/refilling a draft pitcher is something worth extra service.

Worth extra service? What the fuck are you talking about.

$1 per beer/shot

Tell me why tipping for a draft pitcher will reward me with better service.
Is he going to fill it a bit faster next time you colossal faggot?

It's the difference between them noticing you need a refill and muttering about how they'll get to that fat fuck after a smoke break and them getting right on the job and getting your drink with a smile. It's like you've never been out and dealt with people before.

Oh, OK, so if I were an alcoholic who NEEDS alcohol it would be helpful?

No, you fucking sperg. Money is the grease that smooths business interactions. Were you even born on this planet? I think you should go back. Earth is full. Crash on the moon and all that.

I actually like that idea a lot. It'd kill me at my bar, but I know the bartender and get 50% happy hour prices all the time and sometimes some free drinks if he's drinking also or someone rings in a wrong drink.

I might have to use this next time I go to a new bar with a buddy though.

This. I generally tip 50% or so. Don't even have to ask for another drink now. It's refilled before I have to ask for it. If the bar is slammed and I'm dry, he'll make sure I get my drink first even if other tickets showed up first. Being a regular at a bar is max comfy. My tab is usually $15-$20 for 5-7 drinks and I usually throw $10 or $12 in tip.

I tip 25% because I'm a regular and I'm an asshole. They let me get away with lots of shit.
Lots of the waitresses will take drinks off my bill sometimes too.

Having your drinks already paid for is nice. You don't have to worry about fumbling for money, going to the bar or calling for a waitress. The bartender called the girl over, told her to get a good look at us and keep a check on us at all times. It was almost like VIP service. We got to fuck around and never had to worry about getting more beer. Girl was on point. Tipped her as well for the great service.

People don't get tipped at retail.

You'd be surprised. I work in retail and have been offered tips. I have to turn them down as per company policy.

>Having your drinks already paid for is nice.
Also sets a good limit on what you spend that night. It's easy to blow through money paying and tipping one drink at a time as the night goes on.

dollar a drink

I usually tip about 7 degrees to 15 degrees but of course it depends on the diameter of the hat. My above average cranium size gives me an advantage in regards to what I comfortably wear. My preferred brim length is 3 1/4 inch but I can pull off a decent 2 1/8 classic conservative brim of the 1920's up to the more modern 3 1/2 of the 1990's mostly made popular by australians and farmers, but quite fashionable in warmer climates around the globe. I always keep a spare one around for the right occasion.

As mentioned previously, my large brain gives me extra leeway in terms of tipping angle. With a smaller brim I can get away with a more extravagant 20 degree tip but not so much with a larger brim. On normal heads even a 15 degree small brim tip would look like a joke but because of the increased inner diameter of a hat my size, a larger brim with a larger tip angle looks more natural.

For a newbie like yourself I suggest starting simple. Buy yourself an Australian Akubra fedora and practice your 5 degree tips, test them out on strangers before you try them on your family. A 5 degree tip may seem modest at first, but you'll soon come to realize how important the basics are as you move onto your 7 degrees, and maybe even your 10 degrees if you have the courage.

As a general rule of thumb, I always tip 33% more at a bar than at a family restaraunt. When taking a taxi or shopping at the store, my tips are more conservative, about 50% less than my average stranger on the street tip. I don't tip homeless people or men in tank tops. I hope this helps you!

do you really fuckin tip for EACH DRINK so you are tipping 15 separate times a night what the fuck

I normally have a beer sitting for me the moment I walk in the door. We just got a new bartender that I met last night, so I'm going to have to train her on how things work around there. Both of my current bartenders are fantastic, and I do a lot of shit that they put up with, so I tip extra for the service they give me. The bar owner also gave me a bunch of free shit when they renovated it, like old pictures and bar signs and stuff. It probably doesn't hurt that I'm there 3-4 nights a week.

>do you really fuckin tip for EACH DRINK so you are tipping 15 separate times a night what the fuck

If you're drinking 15 drinks, that's probably over $100. $15 is pretty tame for a tip no?

Most times you're gonna be paying will bills that are over the cost of the drink so they are giving you change back. It's not like it's difficult to take that change and drop a dollar or whatever into the tip jar at the same time. Make sure the bartender sees you tipping. Tippers in a bar get preferential treatment.

It's literally 15% tip. Not bad at all.

I dig it. Will definitely keep that in mind for next time.

Yea man, that's awesome. My bartender sees me walking in and I'll have my first drink being walked to me before I sit down. He works 5 days a week and the other bartender is really cool and we're buddies, but she isn't as good as he is. Can't slip in my drinks in the middle of big tickets and just generally isn't as efficient and fast as he is. Also, he's a huge sports fan and so am I so it's fun to bullshit when it's slow. If it was really slow he'd text me and tell me to swing by and first drink is on him since he's so bored. I used to be there 4-5 times a week for the past year, but have been cutting back on drinking, so now maybe twice a week.

I'm buddies with the manager as well and anytime they have leftover swag from reps and other bullshit, I usually end up with it. Nothing better than being a regular. My dad is one and I am as well, must be in the blood.

Maybe if servers aren't customer friendly the bossman should fire their fucking ass. Dealing with shitty customers is part of the job.

Americans man

>Make sure the bartender sees you tipping.

Exactly. $1 is not much to work the bartender for some info or a more generous pour.

Everyone has bad days. Waiters and the like are no different. They might have just dealt with a tribe of nig-nogs before coming to you. If they want a good tip, they'll check their shit, put on a smile and give good service. If they don't perform, you either don't tip or tip poorly as response. If anything comes of it, you point out the shitty service and they will be reprimanded or fired. Non-tippers really don't understand anything about public relations or customer service, do they?

So is $1 per drink the rule of thumb?

Pretty much.

It's tipping. Calm the fuck down.

Unless you're at some metrofaggot liberal bar that charges $15 for mixed drinks. Then you'll want to show off a little to the gold diggers.

At your home dive? $1 is good.

So people don't get tipped at retail then

just give them 2 bucks, our whatever you feel like giving.

do americans tip their drug dealers?

they tip their hats to them probably

I'm sure not all companies have the same policy. The company I work for sees it as an ethics issue. Tips can curry favor and we have to treat all customers equally. That's their reasoning anyways.

Sometimes. I used to give mine a blunt's worth for the trouble and to hopefully keep them from skimming the bag.

After clapping and the national anthem, and before the pledge of allegiance, bud.

at least here in the Midwest every drug dealer I know tips the customer

Wasn't there a nice tipping guide posted a while ago? I think it was for restaurants but it should match up.

I dunno, 10%? If they were shitty, tip less. If they were good, tip more. It's not rocket surgery.

Depressingly accurate desu.

typical drug user. they think they are being tipped when in fact they are the tipper.

Um read the post again I think you got it backwards.

I think YOU got either my post or yours backwards because of drug use/dealing.

You said
>typical drug user. they think they are being tipped when in fact they are the tipper.
When the post you quoted said
>at least here in the Midwest every drug dealer I know tips the customer

So in other words the original post said drug dealers tipped their customers. Then you said that drug users think they're being tipped when they're the ones tipping. Which is exactly what the first post said. I did not think I'd have to spell this out.

dude put the crack pipe down. this post doesn't make any sense. sort your life out.

>you need to pay me extra to do my job WELL
Tipping culture holds good service hostage rather than ensuring it.

>Tippers in a bar get preferential treatment.
This, I get free or at least "forgot to ring it up" drinks all the time because I tip 20% or so.

This if paying cash. If running a tab, I tend to do 15-20%.

I also pay attention to if the bartender has a shift change. I'll cash out and start a new tab for a new bartender.

Pretty much this. I usually start with a bigger tip, so the bartender/server will remember me, and then go a dollar per after that. Gets me better service. I do the same when using the same valet service for several days. Give that valet a big starting tip, and your car will always be ready and parked in a good spot.

Yeah, being a regular definitely has its perks. I know the owners of my place too as they live right around the corner from me and I see then in the neighborhood all the time. It's also nice that Everytime I go into the bar, I can always count on knowing other people there. It's just a little neighborhood bar with a small menu that is full of other regulars that come alone just to shoot the shit. I even once had to kick a group of people out, lol that was fun. The friends their that I've met are all real great. I love my bar, it's like a second home to me (I once passed out drunk in the bathroom at closing time even, lol)

Not really applicable to bars:
10% - terrible service, more of an insult than leaving nothing, done to show how displeased you were
20% - acceptable service, nothing deliberately done wrong but slow inattentive wait staff
30% - average service, you received the minimum level of service you could reasonably expect
40% - great service, the wait staff put extra effort in to improve your experience (e.g. making sure you are happy with your meal, refilling drinks within 10 minutes of them being empty)
50% - exceptional service, the wait staff have either gone balls out to meet your every need or you've caused them to go to extra trouble (e.g. dropping silverware, spilling drinks or moving you to a different table at your request)
60% - large groups to make up for the added difficulty of remembering who ordered what and rearranging the restaurant

This does not create any incentive for the bartender to perform. Infact it would be to a bartenders advantage to slow down.
Few bartenders are impressed when entitled assholes wave cash I'll like a carrot.

This is absolute crap clearly written by a server. Let's try
0% bad service directly relating to server performance
10% poor service to include kitchen or management errors
15-20% good tip for good food and service
25-35% exceptional service and entertaining special requests
40%+ pointless unless it's Christmas or you're trying to get laid.

That's exactly what I do! And bartenders love me

I tip a dollar per drink or 20% rounded up to the 50c or dollar, whichever is greater. unless I hate you, then whichever is less

This is an awesome tip! What's wrong with the waitress

And yet societies where tipping is rare do not have wait staff with a shit attitude. Part of the reason is they'd lose their job.

meanwhile in australia i work at the local pub, and cunts will pay $5.90 and wait for their 10 cents change even if its fuck off busy

You don't tip at a bar, what the fuck. Who told you this?

Hey I bartend at a local joint twice a week and I thought I could offer some insight for your discussion. Yes it's true that bartenders make 80% or more of their income on tips, and yes you are entitled to not tip your bartender for any reason you deem necessary. The bartender will probably respond by doing a few things. The first and most obvious one is to make your drinks weaker. If you are ordering beer or wine, maybe he or she won't fill up the glass as much, but you are much safer ordering beer or wine from the bartender if you are not tipping just because you don't feel you should support the tipping system. The reason for this is because its much easier to pour you half a shot in your vodka tonic than it is to pour you half a beer. I strongly recommend tipping if you are ordering mixed drinks or shots. If they don't do this then they probably are just going to ignore you and not serve you all together. If you want to try to flag somebody down to talk to a manager because you want somebody to fix your situation, you should probably consider leaving instead. The reason for this is because if you actually do get a hold of a manager and try to tell them what the problem is, the bartender is going to explain to the manager that you have been acting erratically and probably accuse you of appearing drunk. I hate to say it because it just isn't right, but you really have no room when you have been drinking and the bartender has been sober. So your last option is to go on the internet and leave a bad review because at this point you are probably steaming mad. The problem with this is that all bars have shit ratings already because a bunch or drunk assholes just like yourself were shown the door with no apology, so you really arent going to downgrade any bar from what it already is. I'm just glad I don't do this as my primary income source anymore because the job beats the shit out of your body and the hours are terrible, the only thing that keeps me here honestly is..

..that it has generated alot of clients for my real estate business. If any bartenders are out there reading this, just know that you build a shit ton of people skills and you can apply that anywhere you go.

What are you talking about? In my recent trip to Europe I got worse service every single time, except one occasion in Amsterdam, than I have ever received in the states. I wish tipping existed there desu.

In Europe snobbery is part of the dining experience. Tipping wouldn't change it.

Well for as much shit Americans get for the tipping system, I'm 100% happier with our dining experience than what I had to put up with in Europe.

>11k tip
>Complaining
Stupid bitch

probably because you were american, try to act Canadian and I guarantee you will receive better service

>tfw going to Europe for the summer on a trip with fellow college students
Fuck I'm gonna have to come back for some actual food, aren't I? We get some time to walk around and pick our own restaurants, but it's probably all touristshit.

just ask a local

Fuck tipping. Pay your employees more and raise your prices. Don't make me decide on your employees economic fate you stupid porkie

Being a regular and tipping will get you better treatment and perks. Free drinks, free shots, free food, etc. We know who tips well and who doesnt tip at all. We know who treats us nicely and who treats us like shit. If you dont tip at the bar, start doing it if you regular one or two in your city. I guarentee youll get better service, just for putting one or two dollars in their tip bucket.

t. Bartender.

>I think we can all agree that most people are shit. Having a job that entails dealing with random people is shit. Tipping helps to incentivise those people into better service without the shit attitude.
So where were my tips when I was working in customer support?

you just be a jew and keep the money in your pockets

Bartender here, we do not expect/want 20% tips especially when youre buying pricier drinks that don't take any more effort for me to pour... dollar a drink will be appreciated and you'll get good service.

I know what you mean. I'm not great friends with any of the regulars (my best friend is the bartender actually, we hang out a lot outside of the bar), but we shoot the shit all the time. 99% of the time, I know someone there and will either sit and chill with them or just give a headnod from across the bar and say hey. Either way, I know these people and it's nice to be in such a familiar place with people I know and for the most part like. I've tossed people out before also. People come in and want to raise hell and get rowdy, and this isn't that kind of bar and without sounding too rednecky... We don't take kindly to that behavior. People who act like that just ruin everyone's time and we'll tell them to chill and if they don't, they'll get tossed. Was there last night and am hungover as fuck this morning, but damn it was a good time. Surprisingly good looking women last night too, pulled a number which might prove fruitful this weekend.

Reminds me why I hate bars. There is this one that I use to be a regular for a few years back and the bartender would tell security to kick you out if they didn't like your tip. I always wanted to pull a sting operation and get tossed a few times while recording it then hit them with a lawsuit. It's so ridiculous how some bars operate.

Bar drinks are already overpriced as hell, they don't deserve tips. Nobody in their right mind goes there without a group of friends and without pre-gaming.

That's fair

That's because you're a yank, we don't really like yanks in Europe

Where are you going? I can give pointers, am well traveled

You get the fuckin bill and tip 2 dollars for every 10 dollars you spent. It's that easy.

How do you even give me better service than just pouring me my drink? You can't purposefully fuck that up without being just a shitty bartender.

tripadvisor

20-30% if they do a bare minimum half assed job of getting my bottle of beer out of the fridge. 40-50% if they do it with pinache

If you're going to tip a server, why not tip every other service job?

I actually liked it way more when I visited the UK/Europe. I paid exactly what I saw.

The only redeeming factor of tips is that they are not taxed and north americans are autistic about taxation

Male servers and unattractive females get 1$/drink. Attractive females get 2-5$/drink, depending on how many I've had.

dollar per drink, less if many drinks

>The only redeeming factor of tips is that they are not taxed and north americans are autistic about taxation
How is this a redeeming factor? This means us honest people have to pay more of the tax burden while servers cheat their way into lower taxes

you realize that everyone has to do things they don't like at their job, and almost every job entails dealing with people, and most of the time internal customers are worse than retail customers