Why do lots of chefs tap their knives on the chopping board?

Why do lots of chefs tap their knives on the chopping board?

Is there any advantage to doing it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eBRF1LfCa_A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

they saw salt bae doing it and wanted to be like him

its helps keep the blade sharpened you fool

To test the sharpness of the blade, it shouldn't really go into the board but it should feel grabby. You should definitely do it if you have ceramic knives.

autism. also incredibly stupid as it will dull the blade.

He is literally just doing it because he's being filmed and is trying to be entertaining.

>fully slicing a steak before serving
This always really activates my fucking almonds

It signals that you're a Mason. Any Masons seeing you do this will approach you afterwards and give you the handshake so that you know to give him the appropriate preferential treatment.

>tfw you make the first tap of the day

Where my /tapboys/ at?

I wanna hear your best tapping techniques, tips, and stories

nigga tryin to get people to eat ceramic

I actually where a mini cutting board wrist watch. I'll pull out my pocket knife and tap away. Really improves the workday.

wtf is he doing with his finger

This, why the fuck do chefs do this?

Pushing/holding the meat so it doesn't stick to the blade

Involuntary means of psyching yourself up for doing something that you need to focus for. Kind of like clapping your hands together before you punch someone in the face or taking a breath before you force out a particularly stubborn shit.

Because a video of him just holding a steak would be boring

kek

Then I must have the worlds sharpest knife or the world's most unsticky steaks, because Ive never needed to do that.

So you can use your chopsticks.

I've also heard Americans like to slice up all their food then put the knife down and start eating, so for them it probably saves a little time.

It's probably not necessary and he's probably just doing it for show, but that's the reasoning behind it

>So you can use your chopsticks.
I hope you're memeing

>I've also heard Americans like to slice up all their food then put the knife down and start eating, so for them it probably saves a little time.
Just like children, then

Well look at the man, I'd be surprised if there was anything he wasn't doing for show.

Wow so funny

It's more of a health issue.

this

lol what?
salt is can be used to kill bacteria in food, that's how they preserved food before refrigeration

Do you not give your knife the ole tappa tappa?
>You are the Bobby Flay of being gay.

They have autism.

Children are lazy shits, they don't cut up their own food.

If you don't order well done they know you're a fucking baby so they pre-slice it for you

Yeah but I still wouldn't want some guy to toss it on his arm before putting it on my food. He's probably a bit sweaty. Some people might like that though but it's just not for me.

His arm is probably cleaner than the shit and cum crusted fingernails that you're going to be picking your teeth with later. You sheltered babies seem to think that bacteria can't exist on surfaces that aren't other peoples skin.

10/10

>literally eating the carcass of a dead animal that spent it's days grazing on bacteria-ridden grasses and grains
>afraid of microscopic sweat particles on a few grains of salt

God, such sheltered babies.

i've actually had to send back steaks to the kitchen because i tasted sweat on my salt

I agree that I wouldn't choose for that option, but I would still eat the fuck out of that steak.

Acoustic testing

Same here. Also a good reason not to leave a tip.

I fucking love smoked meat but I have autism when it comes to seeing them wear the blue/black gloves for FUCKS SAKE WEAR CLEAR

it was a hidden camera tho

>Why do lots of chefs tap their knives on the chopping board?
because they thought it looked cool when the hibachi guy did it with his spatula.

>Is there any advantage to doing it?
if your goal is to dull your blade, yeah.

I love the haphazard handling of the food in this webm. It makes the food look so much better to me.
You won't see any tweezers gently placing edible flowers in BBQ. Or carefully arranged dots of multicolored BBQ sauce around the plates.
Most places at which I eat BBQ, serve it on parchment paper lined trays or baskets.

i like it when it jiggles

(You)

You could also test it by cutting something

>when the hibachi guy did it with his spatula
post webm?

The whole point is to keep yourself from cutting with a dull blade. Retard.

You assert dominance over your knife. Show it that it is there to serve you, not you it.

top kek

If you're not a halfwit you don't have to whack your blade on a plank of wood to test it's sharpness. You keep your knives sharp and worst case scenario you notice it's a bit dull when you first go to cut, so you sharpen it. Retard

>it's a bit dull
>don't know it
>knife slips
>cut your finger off
Yeah I'll just stick with tapping

Blue is the standard for safety. Blue plasters and gloves over clear in case they end up in food, easy to spot.

No, don't ask me how someone could fuck up and get a whole glove into a dish but I'm guessing it's a law that applies across the board after some fuck up in a factory.

Makes sense. I never worked in a kitchen/foods but I work in medicine so that's my automatic correlation. Blegh

The only retard here is you for thinking it does anything.

I do it to think without stopping my hands or when I remember something, but I am much softer when doing it

are you being serious? you tap your knife to see if it is sharp?
This is bait right?

Enjoy maiming yourself

I worked at a restaurant way back, and when a glass broke in/near the ice we put a red cloth in there or poured grenadine to make sure no one got ice until it could be drained and cleaned out.
I think that's similar to the blue gloves.

never cut anything before?

>tfw when you read it in his voice
Ok you got me user.

Do Americans not do this? Here is common in many Eastern European country.

>black gloves

this is a level of autism that i wish only to admire from afar

>wearing gloves at all

Washed hands are cleaner. The glove is just another harbor for germs.

Seems like a yank thing though

He's cleaning his knife.

I'm not american, they usually do I think. But it seems fucking stupid. The meat will lose temperature faster and maybe make a juice mess. What's the idea behind it?

nice routine bro

>I've also heard Americans like to slice up all their food then put the knife down and start eating, so for them it probably saves a little time.

It's true, watch this video
youtube.com/watch?v=eBRF1LfCa_A

What fucking babies lmao

It confirms where the blade edge is in relation to your hand. Anyone who gets bothered by it has obviously watching one too many videos about knife sharpening and gets most of their food in microwaveable containers.

no, it doesn´t you fucking pleb

I just do it when cutting things that stick to the knife, it helps making them fall off a bit more so you can keep cutting quickly, but I never understood why other people do it and neither did my teachers. I guess its more like a tic

bunch of uncomfortable faggots
>not moving their hands while talking about things
>leaning that fucking much to put the fork in the mouth
what the fuck is wrong with these faggots? are they castrated or something?
are they part of some cuck group that can´t be themselves because some boss are watching them?
it´s like they don´t even enjoy eating
i wanna puke

looks like a formal setting where they aren't really comfortable
that isn't anything close to what it is like when eating with family or friends

its probably habit from years of food prep other than steaks

it seems like something you do if you plan on sharing the steak
most steaks in america are only for one person though, there are exceptions of course

I perfer it because I know the chef will cut it across the grain for the most tender cut. Oftentimes I dont pay attention and do some wonky cut and get a chewy piece of meat.

im not a chef, but i know in blacksmithing, they tap the hammer on the anvil to situate it in their hand correctly before hammering. So this could be like a cooking equivalent of it.

There's no advantage is just a bad habit but can be fun sometimes.

there might be something to this
tap your tool to get a good feel for it in you hand before you use it
what you do you chef user's think?

Its just showmanship, nothing more.
>A thread died for this.

The only happy person is the one cutting her food. I think that says something about the importance of cutting individual pieces throughout the meal.

You wouldn't fin a difference, sweat is salty...

>doesn't toast the inside of the bread
garbage

This is an interesting question. when i started cooking in commercial kitchens 10 years ago, i had a chef who would do a "tap tap" before cutting anything. this was probably to get crumbs or juice off the blade, as it was a high volume place, constantly using the same knife for everything from veggies to opening plastic wrap. 15 years later, i still do the tap tap. i d k why. i often catch myself and think about it. i think its just a ritual habit kinda ocd thing.

It's a weird throw-over from blacksmithing, where tapping the hammer keeps momentum when you're pounding the fuck out of metal for hours a day, saving you a bit of energy in the long run.
It's kinda stupid when chefs do it though.

>this was probably to get crumbs or juice off the blade
I would imagine most people tap their knives for that reason. It's why I do it occasionally.

I tap my knife. My reason is when cutting up many different things sometimes things would stick to the blade, so I'd tap it to get them off. It was so frequent that it became habit for me to tap it before cutting something and now I've found myself doing it even with a clean knife. I'm sure the same thing has happened for others.

Oh, beat me to it.

a proper tap on the cutting board aligns the carbon molecules for an even sharper edge

>Kind of like clapping your hands together before you punch someone in the face
I have punched many people in the face and I have never clapped my hands prior to doing it. It’s pretty obvious you have never punched anyone in the face and you have always run away crying before anyone could ever punch you in the face.

I tap my knife so I look retarded when I am cooking. Nothing sets the mood like when people know they are being served food cooked by somebody with a mental illness.

>clapping before a fistfight
Do Americans really do this?

>forced americans
niggers do.

This.

That guys sexuality seems burdensome.

>It confirms where the blade edge is in relation to your hand
That is what your eyes a for. And why there is something called a bear claw.

>i r tarded
kek. this has got to be the dumbest thing i've read on 4chins today.

>clapping your hands together before you punch someone in the face
Do Americans really??