What is the greatest book you have read that you believe very few others have read as well

what is the greatest book you have read that you believe very few others have read as well

my diary desu

It calls "Palinuro de México" , i'm from México so may be you don't know the boom, but its really great, but also in México the book is not too famous

the bible

Moby Dick

Best in what way? My favorite book is The Vegetarian. Best overall book and story, as I see it, is Moby Dick. Best writing would be The Dead.

Tip top tier

i dont read much obecure Veeky Forums because i only devote so many hours to reading, and even its not even enough to carry me through the canon.

bumping for interest

I don't read and I don't expect that half you cunts do either.

I read of mice and men when I was in school and it was shit

Einzige und Sein Eigentum by Stirner

the third policeman

>the third policeman
i love that one

>The Vegetarian
Saw it on sale at my local bookstore, didn't realize it was actually good.

it cause the shit cover design. you know the one where it is some fluorescent light color background, big blocky letters, the authors name so big. so many shitty books do that, that when really great ones do that i discredit them before knowing about them. it is harmful to judge a book by it's cover but better to avoid bad books

A grittier version of Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, but instead of an internal exploration of morality, this is an external look into what happens to people have have lost their direction, giving the reader snippets of the lives of these characters without giving a whole picture.
It explore themes such as the despair of modern existence without spirituality or purposem.

The seven madmen are characters that are at different levels of rebellion against modern society after having broke free from the expectations of the collective through violence.

The white devil by John Webster (a contemporary of Shakespeare)

i will have to check this one out

That book gets discussed here a decent amount actually, although not as much as it deserves.

You should be aware theres a continuation by the name "The flame throwers", it has this whole meta narrative going on, and with this I mean its as aimless as the lives of the people it portraits, would have prefered the orinigal had 50 more pages to tie everything up instead of a second book.

The ManWho Loved Dogs. I mention it here every chance I get. I love that book so much and it should be read more.

The Phantom Blooper

probably The Investigation (Lem)

If we're going by q/x, where q is quality and x is the # of people here sans me who've read it, then obviously all my shitty mlp fanfic wins. As far as published stuff is concerned though, I'd say Dara's 'The Lost Scrapbook'.

Most of what I've read since high school has been le classics or at least things that are pretty popular, so I think this might be it. It's a surprisingly good satire as well as a good introduction to the American political system for kids. Also if you flip to the end to see what happens, there's a page saying "fuck you, go back and read the story"

culture of critique by Kevin Mcdonalds

Tell me more about these, boyos.

>that you believe very few others have read as well
>inb4 he only read one book but still wanted to participate

My answer used to be Maps of Meaning until a year ago.

The Widow's Son, Book 2 of the Historical Illuminatus Chronicles.

what happened?

Well it's obviously pretty well known now

this book was my shit, the sequel sucked though

>The Man Who Loved Dogs

The assassination of Trotsky, told to a lonely man in Cuba by a strange figure. Chronicling the events that led up to it from the perspectives of the assassin, Trotsky, and featuring various other people associated with the event. I'm making it sound like some historical fiction schlock, but it's more than that. It's massive too.

Too Loud A Solitude

It's also the book I think most people on Veeky Forums will relate too in some way.

That book was okay, but you should read this if you like to talk about solitude and or dementia.

every. god. damn. time.

I firmly believe that Finnegans Wake is one of the most important artistic efforts in human history, yet most people will never read it and mock those who say they like it

Fuck cracked.com

I'm going to read every book mentioned in this thread, and none of you will be special any longer

I enjoyed this, and when I bought it the bookseller also got really enthusiastic about it

a fault in our stars

>17
i hope you do this isn't about being special it is about finding new books and appreciating them. if we were the only ones who wanted to read these books why would we post them

Sirius: a Fantasy of Love and Discord
It's an improved version of Frankenstein.

It really isn't very good, I'd honestly recommend not wasting your time with it.

A Dance to the Music of Time.

The Demons by Heimito von Doderer

The Brooklyn Novels by Daniel Fuchs

Zibaldone by Leopardi

Darconville's Cat by Theroux

u sold me user, i'll give this one a read

my recc is The Village by Ivan Bunin. I have never ever once seen anyone else on Veeky Forums mention Bunin (and a whopping 173 votes on goodreads - NOBODY is reading this book) - it's a shame because The Village is immaculate, a perfect albeit stylistically conservative novel (reminds me of Stoner in that respect - it doesn't do anything new, but it's 100% airtight, not one wasted word). The story packs a huge punch and with mucho heartbreaking lyricism. This is a book that every student of the Russian novel should know and I repeat that it's a goddamn shame that outside of Russia nobody is reading this book.

I'll also add that the Village is about the 1905 revolution written a few years afterwards and gives a vivid diagnosis of what was going wrong in early 20th C. Russia. This novel is was more directly prescient about the disasters coming down the pike than any other writer, Tolstoy and Dostoevsky included.

is it anything like quiet flows the don

Nostromo

Bill?

>Nostromo
i have pretty much read everything by conrad. lord jim is best

No Longer Human isn't that widely known in the mainstream, or even in some literary circles.
I mean I've read much greater books, but most of them are already at least somewhat acclaimed.
So I guess it's NLH.

The night of the triffids

>The night of the triffids
tell me about this one what is good about it

The movie is better desu

New Grub Street by George Gissing

An absolutely blistering victorian novel about what it took to make it in London's literary scene. Not only is it a great piece of writing, crafted in surprisingly light and modern English, but it's also devastating in its foresight and relevance: those of you who write or have actually tried to publish will instantly recognize as your own many of the obstacles Gissing puts his characters through. It also contains not one, but two Stoner-tier storylines of heartbreak/betrayal/callousness.

Oh, also
Fools of Fortune by William Trevor

Trevor's more known for his short stories, but this novel is next-level shit. It's one of those books where characters become enmeshed in history, in this case the Anglo-Irish conflict, but it never feels unnatural or overly didactic. Trevor is amazing at conveying the actual slow flow of things, its relentlessness and hopelessness, and the way our families and our precious little ideals will become nothing in time, begetting only pain. Tear-jerking stuff.

I've had this on my backlog for awhile. Don't fail me Bolaño-kun

Bumping with The Horse's Mouth by Joyce Cary.

Stranger In A Strange Land

I believe very few people have read and finished JR by William Gaddis