Finally got myself an ebook reader, what should be my first book?

Finally got myself an ebook reader, what should be my first book?

You should buy real books

I do that also, but only the ones I'm most interested in. Books are expensive

Stop being poorfag and buy real books

I'm getting myself one of those big Kobo's when my Paperwhite gives up. I want to read PDFs comfortably. /diary

Get Man and his Symbols by Jung.

SUMMA
THEOLOGICA

>.PDF

now that one I got in physical form

What kinda ereader you got?
Unrelated, does calibre work with the paperwhite?

Yes.

How does it work?

What do you mean? The same way it works with every other ereader.

Well, I don't have an ereader so I dont know

Marshall McLuhan's "Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man"

>Kobo Glo HD was discontinued right before I bought one
What's the alternative now?

I'd like a high resolution screen, but I don't want a 7 inch e-reader.
The only 6 inch model Kobo makes now is 1024x768.

I've switched from Kindle to Kobo and have been using the latter for three days. Ask me anything.

It's fairly easy to use. The only difference with Kindles is that they don't support epub natively, so you have convert to let Calibre convert it to azw for you.

Bleeding Edge

Works ezpz
Import ebook into calibre
Convert to desired format
Export from calibre to Kindle or just drag and drop it on

>using the latter for three days
Did your first page turn complete yet?

Convert to kepub, nigga.

buy one used get it cheaper?

Then what's the point of not using Kindle? Just for the holocaust oven backlight?

I have a Glo HD ( haha) so the reading light is virtually the same. I didn't realise this discrepancy until I had the thing. But it's not a big deal. Customizable fonts and Pocket integration make it worth it.

>Customizable fonts and Pocket integration
Nice to know. I wonder if they'll redo the Aura One anytime soon. Would treat myself. Oasis is sadly still shitty.

>redo the Aura One
What do you mean? What's there to redo?

Shitty battery life for one thing. My iPad holds longer than Aura One with backlight.

Goddamn that's shameful. Glad I didn't fall for it.

And you can convert any format to the kindle format? Pdfs too?

Yeah, it's kind of surprising that these retards can't get le ultimate super deluxe reader right. Original Oasis was hot garbage, new one is much better but still has shitty backlight with quality control issues and doesn't support epubs. Aura 1 is pretty much the closest to perfect, but 15h of screen-on-time is a joke.

Yup

>Pdfs too?
A little trickier, but can work if there isn't any weird formatting or sidebars. And as long as it's not image-scanned. If it is you can just use a program to crop out the margins and its readable most of the time. There's a specific program but I'm phoneposting right now and don't remember the name.

Yeah I almost considered it for the Comfortlight and the bigger size for certain PDFs, but I'm glad I got my Glo HD instead. If I ever switch back to Kindle I would consider the new Oasis.

So trying to get manga to work on my Kobo with the help of Kindle Comic Converter and it looks like Kobo doesn't have panel view? And in addition to that, I still can't get this damn thing to connect to my computer half the time. Did I fucking fall for a meme?

Bump.

I have the KAO and a Paperwhite and they're both great. On kindle you can email yourself books so I keep it at work and don't need to plug it in to transfer books. I hated Kobo's firmware enough to switch to Koreader and now it's an amazing device. It doesn't highlight or handle any inputs as fast as kindles but microseconds don't matter to me.

I've had no qualms with the highlighting on Kobo's native software so far. It's responsive enough (though it would be nice to do it across multiple devices like Kindle). Does Koreader improve the expereince that much? The freezes I'm encountering and the near-inability to connect it to a computer is really starting to piss me off.

It makes pdf reading an absolute dream. I've never experienced any freezing or difficulty connecting to a computer. Itjustwerks for me.

How about manga? I don't read much of it but occasionally I do and it was so easy on Kindle.

If my Kobo is running slow already (it's because of a recent update I think) wouldn't it still run slow, theoretically, with Koreader and the Kobo Start Menu that you use to install it? Isn't it technically running its base software underneath?

I have a question: I'm interested in buying a Kobo, but would it give me the freedom to put epubs and pdfs of books that I scored myself from the internet?

Or do I have to buy books through some Kobo-app like Amazon's Kindle Store?

I am all for books but now I am focusing on nonfic/philosophy/foreign books, and here in south america, any book that fit those categories are expensive as fuck, so I am looking to buy a cheapass ereader. Found a 7th generation Kindle. What is the difference between the 7th and 8th generation?

will probably wait 24 november for meme friday to see if I can find a brandnew for a good price though.

i am the eternal shill for my Kobo Aura One, but reading PDFs comfortably is not something it does well. get a tablet if you want to pirate science textbooks, get the hardcover if it's an art book.

what kind of PDFs do you want anyways?

>15 hours
goddamn, what kind of KA1 do you have? i read an avg. of 2-3 hours a day, half of that with a backlight. i only charge mine once every 2 weeks, maybe a week and a half.

No. I'm fairly sure it's one or the other. The start menu let's you select which one you run. I don't know much about mangos. How do you do it in kindle? What are common formats for them?

For Kindle I used Kindle Comic Converter (which also works for Kobo) and it has the handy option of panel view, where you double-tap a quadrant of the screen and it automatically zooms there. Page swipe and you go to the next panel. It's pretty damn nice.
Kobo apparently expects you to just pinch and zoom which is not nice.

Kobos are easy as pie to sideload ePubs. they can handle PDFs in theory, but i don't recommend it; some might say to use KoReader (a different, non-official firmware) for PDFs, but i think the base firmware is great as-is. use a tablet for PDFs.

use Calibre to manage your library, and use Libgen to get your books. [you might need a plugin for Calibre, i forget]. ePub is best, MOBIs are supported, but i've found them to be finicky compared to ePubs (especially for large files, like the complete works of Plato).

one other thing: both Kindles and Kobos have their own store (Amazon's is better, duh) and both Kindles and Kobos can let you sideload your pirated books without hassle.

other than the physical differences, Kindles only support MOBIs, while Kobos primarily support ePubs. on libgen, you'll find a lot more ePubs than MOBIs. i've used both brands and prefer Kobos.

Did it fuck up the TOC on your Plato too?

It should be noted that while Kobos can read epubs, they read them slowly. They are a little clunky. Font customization might not be available. It is optimal to convert to Kobo's own format, kepub, which makes page turns faster and enables more features. At that point it's not much different from what you have to do with Kindle. But regular epubs do read. I'm reading Pale Fire that way right now.

in ePub, i have the latest Hackett collection. the TOC isn't fucked up, but the margin numbers are intertext and only good for an approximation. to cite, i have a PDF on my computer; it's the difference between (Meno 97) and (Meno 97a2-4). also, i use ePubs of secondary lit (like the Cambridge Companion), and it's a pain to switch between them while writing a paper. good for casual reading, though.

right, but kepubs are a 1:1 conversion in calibre (i think) with a plugin. not so with mobi, which 99% works. when i say "ePub on Kobo," i mean kepub.

)
>right, but kepubs are a 1:1 conversion in calibre (i think) with a plugin. not so with mobi, which 99% works. when i say "ePub on Kobo," i mean kepub.
I'm drunk so I don't understand you.

There are a lot of short stories or language learning material that I read in PDF form because it's the only one available. I also thought about buying a tablet but I want to limit the blue light as much as possible. The Paperwhite is sort of ok for PDFs but I use it in landscape mode, the screen is not that big and I want it to change pages more fluently.

Underrated post.

hey i've seen this painting irl
it's pretty cool

Can't turn this fucking thing on now without it getting stuck in a boot-loop for several tries. This convinces me. Kobos are pieces of fucking shit.

for kobo:
ePub = kepub
epub ≠ mobi
kepub good, mobi bad. many epub online to pirate, fewer mobi online to pirate.

But you can convert mobi to kepub so I still don't get it?

literally takes one second to convert epub to mobi

that was the other part of my earlier post.
>ePub -> kepub
works 100% of the time
>mobi -> ePub -> kepub
works 99% of the time.

AFAIK, mobi to epub is not a 1:1 conversion.