Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums
I don’t start threads much but thought I’d see what you think of my first attempt at ‘salmon pasta.’

I only put in brackets bc I much prefer a traditional tomato based spaghetti. I am not following any recipe in the cooking process. Just 1 pot 1 pan.
Wish me luck?
Any tips?
Pic very related. Help me?

Use cream or bechemel based sauce for salmon, if you pulse the asparagus into the cream and reduce it that will be fantastic for salmon or steward sauce which is creme, capers and djon mustard. Poach the salmon in white wine so it's tender to balance the heavy pasta especially if you are using spaghetti and not like angel hair

what is this? some sort of oc cooking thread? well i don't know about this!

I'm interested OP keep us updated with pictures. Is that just raw salmon or is it smoked?

Smoked salmon.
It’s just my dig on a recipe.
Wish I read this earlier user. It’s fast to cook so I just went nuts.

Pic related is butter, 1/3 onion, 4 pretty hot chilies and smells amazing.

Oh and like ts of garlic lol.
The green is just the dill left on the chopping board when I prepped the onion/chilli.

It looks like it will come out good. For smoked I use either the steward I mentioned before or cream cheese (like 4 oz not loads) heated and thinned out with milk then reduced and capers with dill for a lox/bagel pasta I will even coat the salmon in everything spice and sear it off it I made any before hand

Post pretty plate when finished, user. Sounds delicious

You sound like a pro omg I’m embarrassed to even post more but I will bc your advice sounds legit.
I just used some heavy cream after white wine had reduced about half.
Pic is b4 cream obviously.
I added baby broccoli and the harder parts of asparagus at this stage. Strong wine smell.

In the future when using smoked salmon for a pasta sauce I'd recommend the following:

Cook pasta al dente. Drain. in pot add olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.Some capers if you like (I do). Let saute over heat for a minute. Then quickly add pasta, smoked salmon, chopped parsley and lemon juice. Turn off the heat, get it out of the pot and serve immediately.

I didn’t plate it well. :(
This is just the pasta I used. Seasoned with butter and fresh dill/parsley b4 adding back to frypan.
Cooked super al dente bc needed to add back at the end.

At least you didn't snap the pasta like some sort of barbarian.

Great advice. I didn’t use capers but enough salt from the smoked salmon imho. I did season with some salt and lots of pepper when adding the pasta back in. Looks like too much pasta but I love it.
Pic related.

Looks good. To much pepper for my taste but still.

added zest and juice from 2 lemons. Wasn’t overpowering but desu, could have just used one.

My mrs went for a second serving, but I just had the one bc big size. Sorry for fail last pic. It is yummy though. More left for dinner ftw!

Looks like a lot but that’s just in pan b4 mixing through. It was perfect amount for me but yeah looks way overkill in that pic.

I am a professional cooking is how I pay my bills bit hell it's looking good OP and you have a handle on the basics alright. This is probably the best thread I've seen on this board since the dickered guy that owns Patti went on hiatus. I wish more threads were like this and not sips or /pol/ shit. If the wine taste is still too strong after reduction mount it with more butter to mellow it out.
Also if I'm feeling lazy I make a month buerre sauce for salmon which is the pasta water emulsified with whole butter (no special anything needed just swirl the butter into a bit of pasta water temperature needs to be just right though so don't get discouraged if it breaks the first try, chances are you have loads of pasta water to retry and fix it)

Looks great only thing is for plating take some tongs and wrap it up to give it better height, it does wonders for appearance, still you should be proud OP

Looks really good user. I made something similar with shrimp last night, but yours looks so much better. Thanks for posting this, we need more threads like this.

Lol, I called it.
Good for you making people happy everyday with your cooking skills. I couldn’t hack it. Hard work in a professional kitchen!
Yeah my playing totally sucks but I was so hungry I spent all of 20 seconds on it. Good advice though to curl the pasta up. I should have remembered that fml.

Thanks for the kind comments Veeky Forums

(Unrelated to thread but pic is my bro-in-laws pizza oven - taken last week)

*plating
Ty user.
I’d love professional cooks to make posts of their kitchen while cooking but they way too busy for our loss.(?)

Gotta say OP, it looked promising but as you admitted, your plating sucks.
Also I agree we would do well on Veeky Forums with some professionals taking 30 seconds out of their night just to screen their work station or the meals they are putting up to the pass.
I'm not wrong...

looks good op, seeing the ingredients and what you did id happily eat that,and thats not true for most of the slop posted on here.
the couple mistakes you did are not that big, but one thing i want to tell you that separates homecooked from restaurant pasta:
its about how you finish the pasta in the sauce, if you dont do it properly you have noodles that have basically no sauce cling to them.
add almost done pasta to boiling sauce, add a large knob of butter, a handful of parm, pasta water and stirr til emulsified. if it gets too thick add more pasta water.
the endresult will be much better, so much better in fact, i prefer properly sauced pasta with only cheese+butter+pasta water over anything fancy but not properly combined

interesting image