Pynchon BTFOing Ayn Randists and Capitalism Worshipers

>"You remember those twin statues of the Buddha that I told you about? Carved out of a mountain in Afghanistan, that got dynamited by the Taliban back in the spring? Notice anything familiar?"

"Twin Buddhas, twin towers, interesting coincidence, so what."

"The Trade Center towers were religious too. They stood for what this country worships above everything else, the market, always the holy fucking market."

"A religious beef, you're saying?"

"It's not a religion? These are people who believe the Invisible Hand of the Market runs everything. They fight holy wars against competing religions like Marxism. Against all evidence that the world is finite, this blind faith that resources will never run out, profits will go on increasing forever, just like the world's populations--more cheap labor, more addicted consumers.”

Other urls found in this thread:

nintil.com/2015/09/05/is-there-rd-spending-myopia/
bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-10-16/black-monday-and-long-term-investors
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pinecone blows the fuck out of everything in his path, this is nothing new. He figured out the light bulb conspiracy before anyone knew about it. M&D attacks the Jesuits.

errr I think most capitalists take it as their first doctrine that resources are scarce, so idk why he's pretending they think resources are unlimited. I mean if resources were unlimited there would be no need for capitalism. But yeah muh consumerism = bad, deep!

Threadly reminder that these are the words of CHARACTERS and must be read with context.

not all capitalists believe in the invisible hand of the market

Those would be mercantalists.

The criticisms to the american imperiam, consumerism and corporatism made by postmodernists like De Lillo, Pynchon, Joseph Heller etc are 100% on point. The problem is that most americans dont really read books and none stands up to the BS.

>I think most capitalists take it as their first doctrine that resources are scarce, so idk why he's pretending they think resources are unlimited.
We are going by dictionary definitions and not reality now? Modern corporations are preoccupied with short-term gains.

Are you an autistic commie? No ones after short run gains, in the short run at least one variable cost is fixed and marginal revenue is close to marginal cost or they’re equal. Corporations aren’t concerned with The long run, they’re worried about selling you your shitty products so you can complain about it

It’s just the market reaching equilibrium. It’s in peoples and businesses best interest to reach it so they do. The only time it isn’t is when there’s a monopoly

This is a conversation between two New York liberal Jews.
So keep that in mind, this isn't Pynchon speaking for himself obviously.

>le capitalism is religion
Fuck this lame

In the entire book Pynchon makes fun of jewesses doing shopping therapy and imitatins jennifer's aniston's haircuts.
There critique of the system is pretty clear.
There is also a jew CEO, he compares to Stalin at some point.

>no one's after short term gains
t. Never heard of the 2008 crash

i was thinking more of the direct opponents of neo classicism, the keynesians and the german historical school
neo classicists were the ones who advocated for the laissez faire laisez passer attitude the most
for the them to break away from it is the worst kind of heresy imaginable

>tfw the government makes you lower your internal standards for loan approval so more minorities can buy houses so to limit your exposure you do adjustable rates and protective interest and everyone blames you for not just giving away homes and saying you were only after short term profit
>people think 30 year mortgages are short term profit

what the fuck is this scapegoating

In almost all ways it is

>makes
Nice try you fucking faggot
The government allowed the lowering of internal standards, they didn't make any banks give out mortgages to people who couldn't pay them back, only greed did that
And, it's not purely about the duration, but also the sheer number of mortgages that make it high short term profit

>woah consumerism is bad you guys o.O
>woah ww2 was bad you guys o.O
>woah mail is bad you guys o.O

pynchon is a fucking genius. 200 iq AT LEAST

I don't understand. How is this supposed to be an argument against capitalism? He's just explaining the deeper ideology of why the Taliban commits acts of terrorism.

jokes on you taliban is american in spirit

Good lord people cant believe this:o

Markets get fucked out of equilibrium all the time. Recessions. Idk much about economics but I do know that we spend a lot of time fighting to reach equilibrium

>Modern corporations are preoccupied with short-term gains.

The exact opposite actually, corporations typically face incentives that make them maximize long-term value. Read this: nintil.com/2015/09/05/is-there-rd-spending-myopia/

And also check out the "Long-termism" section here: bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-10-16/black-monday-and-long-term-investors