Shits on academia throughout entire book

>shits on academia throughout entire book
>book involves itself with issues only academics care about

What did he mean by this?

David Foster FRAUD

rekt

Which issues do you mean?

Is this worth reading ? I don't ususally bother with fiction anymore but since you fags talk about it so myucjh I ordered a copy.

>he didn't realize that DFW was slowly being mentally poisoned by Franzen
thats why Pale King is much more sparse senpai
DFW didn't like anything by Gass besides omensetter's luck
he was coming to detest experimental fiction and high modernism

You should at least read the first 100 pages so you can understand why people say it's shit.

It's actually a really good book. It's a little fucked up at times but it's a great read.

I'm reading it now and it's fine.

have you ever read an academic journal? it's very common. it's also very common in other areas of society as well, people just want to be smarter than their peers.

>shit on Veeky Forums
>spend your time on Veeky Forums

>the middle class is so hypocritical
>be middle class

>The contemporary art scene is basically just a bunch of opportunistic individualists playing games of networking and self-promoting in order to supply an unregulated, speculative marketplace for rich people, where the elites can exercise their power by playing their own vacuous games of defining art, good taste and quality.
>be an artist

so is this a justification?

yes. you're allowed to criticise things even though you are a part of that things yourself. There's no contradiction

Very worth reading

I'd say get through 300 pages before deciding to drop it. I didn't really start liking it until Madame Psychosis's story starting opening up. The endnotes are necessary, you will miss several important points if you skip them (the entire filmography contains a bunch of hints and references, and another gives background info on some of the characters).

Kind of this. OP, it’s the duality of things. Read Montaigne, Shakespeare, Kierkegaard (either/or) and Ulysses. Proust mentions it in Swann’s Way. Something along the lines of “once man comes to the realization that his profession is useless, only then can he become a master of the craft.”

Its by far one of the most meme books Veeky Forums has ever recommended. It reads like the ravings of a lunatic, and nothing is coherent. 'You just have to read it twelve times to understand it,' isn't justification

I read ~150 pages or so and dropped it. If any of you can give me a legitimate argument as to why I should finish it, I will. Because all I've seen is people praising it and giving no reasons why. I listened to a commencement speech by Wallace and he took 25 minutes to say 'Be more aware of others around you.'
I have a feeling the book is going to do the exact same thing, meaning give shallow philosophical ideas but take fucking forever to develop them

I'm not a fag I'm a human being! *bites your ear off*

I thought with a name like David Foster Wallace this dude was descended from slaves and black as night but he looks like a knockoff Mitch Hedberg

who the fuck is this guy and why should I care?

>nothing is coherent.
Ok buddy, if you say so.

>unironically buying books from a dead man
Next time pirate an e copy or borrow from a library.

its the best book ever written

ahahahahaha

whats your take on buying used books on ebay

I'm a retard and I got enjoyment out of it. Most of the beginning is meant to be disorienting.

to be fair, endnotes make reading IJ digitally a pain in the ass.

The book delves into the complexities of what it means to be depressed, addicted and the problems with entertainment.

It follows a myriad of interesting and relatable characters. A purely original plot with never ending depth and details.

I gotta admit it was only until like page 500 or 600 where I realized "shit this is fucking incredible".

His commencement speech has little to do with the themes of Infinite Jest though it may show its self through his many different characters and their perspectives and struggles of all classes and races.

Also forgot to mention themes of sexual/physical abuse, suicide and disabilities...etc. etc. its a complicated book Id say