So I'm taking my psych class for two weeks and I do have some questions for this book...

So I'm taking my psych class for two weeks and I do have some questions for this book, some of the information is a load of Pseudoscience shit. Anyone else psychfags?

Other urls found in this thread:

madinamerica.com/2017/08/adhd-diagnosis-based-illogical-rhetoric/
npr.org/sections/health-shots/2012/01/23/145525853/when-it-comes-to-depression-serotonin-isnt-the-whole-story
nytimes.com/2010/01/10/magazine/10psyche-t.html
en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Sane_Society
npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/06/30/481766112/how-therapy-became-a-hobby-of-the-wealthy-out-of-reach-for-those-in-need?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160630
goodreads.com/book/show/6763725-capitalist-realism
intropsych.com/ch13_therapies/freud_discovers_childhood_sexual_abuse.html
theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/06/psychics-hearing-voices/531582/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>pretending psychology is anything other than a faulty social science
your entire discipline can be dismissed a priori

>a priori

anything without faggotry as a mental illness is a shit edition

oh wow that edge

WHO WOULD WIN?
>Entire field of peer reviewed science
>Bathroom police on /pol/

He's right you know

Got a BSc and MSc in Psychology, currently doing a PhD. None of those were in clinical psych though, so I only have a few modules under my belt there. I can try to help with questions though. What bits do you think are particularly pseudoscientific?

unironically this

Ok... but so is autism, bipolar depression, synesthesia, psychopathy etc. They took off homosexuality because too many idiots out there couldn't grasp the fact that people don't choose their brains.

*singlehandedly demolishes psychology 200 years before it even began*

>*peer reviewed science that fails to repeat test results 80% of the time

kekeke

no shit. psychology is for brainlets.

Relevant article

madinamerica.com/2017/08/adhd-diagnosis-based-illogical-rhetoric/

remember when it pseudo-scientifically diagnosed "multiple personality disorder" and contributed to the arrest and imprisonment of numerous people over fraudulent rape and child abuse allegations?

This.

How?
Why?
How?
How?

throw it out and read thelastpsychiatrist and partial objects

im none of those fags, but all psychology boils down to, is, 'subconscious triggers rule our body'
literally everything in psychology can be inferred through basic examination

but you're taking a two week course so you're not going to learn shit anyway

lots of links but if you're considering making a career in psychiatry your life, you might consider reading at least a few of them

npr.org/sections/health-shots/2012/01/23/145525853/when-it-comes-to-depression-serotonin-isnt-the-whole-story

nytimes.com/2010/01/10/magazine/10psyche-t.html

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Sane_Society

npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/06/30/481766112/how-therapy-became-a-hobby-of-the-wealthy-out-of-reach-for-those-in-need?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160630

pic is quote from goodreads.com/book/show/6763725-capitalist-realism

and just for funsies: intropsych.com/ch13_therapies/freud_discovers_childhood_sexual_abuse.html

only sort of relevant but it might be of interest to you to look into history of the dx of 'hysteria' and how that came to be known as ptsd only when soldiers returning home from ww1 were alarming the psychiatric establishment at the time by displaying symptoms of hysteria, previously thought a female-specific disorder

oh and because most of the links i gave dealt mainly w/ depression and not the big scares things like schizophrenia, here's an insightful article the atlantic ran a while ago about psychosis

theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/06/psychics-hearing-voices/531582/

it might make you think at least

Psychology is a social science, and it's clinical practice has had harmful repercussions on millions of individuals.

good post user, nice dubba dubs

If you're taking a psych class your entire curriculum is going to be pseudoscience.
Take a less shit class.

>intropsych.com/ch13_therapies/freud_discovers_childhood_sexual_abuse.html
If you're interested in the effects this had many years later, Richard Beck's We Believe the Children talks a lot about how the more conservative feminist movements of the 1970s and '80s adopted this line of thinking and helped bring it back into the mainstream, partially contributing to the large number of daycare sex abuse allegations over that period as well as the extreme popularity of books that were meant to help you recover your memory.