He doesn't savor every word

>he doesn't savor every word
>he has never spent half an hour rereading one page over and over
>if he doesn't understand something, he doesn't ruminate on it and/or Google it
>he skims
>he skims because he wants to finish the book so that he can say he read it
>he wants to be able to say he read it because he thinks of book reading as some kind of competition
>he's impressed by people who have "read" copious amounts of books and who can "read" very fast
>he doesn't realize that several Veeky Forumsbois (wittgenstein, kafka, etc) preferred to focus on just a few books they loved rather than try to read everything they can
>he spends a lot of time reading counting how many pages he's read, feels a wave of gratitude when he hits a hundred mark, counts how many pages he has left, etc
>he doesn't realize that the ancients focused intensely on what they read
>he thinks that the more he reads, the more he'll learn
>he relates to the part in Stoner where he's worried over how many books there are to read
>he didn't take Aesop's fable of the tortoise and the hare to heart when he read it in kindergarten and apply it to everything he does
>he didn't take Bebe's story in Sideways Stories From Wayside School to heart when he read it in second grade and apply it to everything he does
>he has never been fired from multiple jobs for being too slow
>he isn't late to everything he goes to
>he isn't trying to get surgery to become a turtle because slow and steady wins the race
>his heartbeat isn't dangerously slow
>he autistically idolizes sonic the hedgehog because he's GOTTA GO FAST

ISHYGDDT

Other urls found in this thread:

cosmoetica.com/B1277-DES888.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>he relates to the part in Stoner where he's worried over how many books there are to read
You can be the sort of person who takes their time while reading and still be concerned about how you'll inevitably miss out on a lot of potential experiences in life. Not that I've read Stoner.

>he posts on Veeky Forums

Ok, fair point, I will admit it

I don't think people do this on here simply because of posts like this (which happen a lot)

>tfw in a bookclub with someone like this

>tfw overanalyze the etymology of each word i encounter

not even turtle pace - takes me ages to get through the book due to drawing associations & research/appreciation. if anything i envy the speed reader because i’ve turned into a mad slowpoke

i dont feel like reading all that

Ya know, Nietzsche advocated slow reading. He was instrumental in the nazi regime. Did ya know that? So what if they misinterpreted him, point is, had he not even written of the ubermensche he couldn't have been misinterpreted, so it's his fault. You're not a nazi, are you OP???

you know what else Nietzsche did? Ate food
Do you eat food?
You're not a NAZI, are you?
*glares*

slopo fo life bro

>he didn't take Bebe's story in Sideways Stories From Wayside School to heart when he read it in second grade and apply it to everything he does

>Bebe
>Wayside school
>wow that must be the novel written by my compatriot Géza Ottlik
>google Wayside School
>it's not Ottlik brilliance for the YAs of old times who still understood biblical allusions and complex thought
>It's American trash
>American trash was published in 1979
>Ottlik's novel School at the frontier became popular in the mid 70s

The US should be bombed to dust

I agree. Fast readers are the worst. It's even worse when you try to talk to them about a book and they have nothing interesting to say.

cosmoetica.com/B1277-DES888.htm

>"Yeah I whirred through Gravity's Rainbow in a couple of hours and got nothing out of it"

Gee, I wonder why, you big dork

It's strange, the more I read the less I value reading quickly. I've been tested and I can read at about 1000 wpm with full comprehension, but I never read like that when I can help it.

Yeah, it's bad when they don't like the book and read it quickly but it's worse when they pretend they understood and liked it even though they read it quickly, especially in the case of classics. I have a friend who plows through a classic and when we talk about the same book, he literally can't say anything about it but nonetheless he "loved" it. I wonder if he even understands what he reads.

Schneider is a fucking hack who hates academia and being educated because he never went to college. He's also a fourth rate poet, proving that anyone can write but most people shouldn't

I skim milk through books I don't like just to finish them and put them out of my sight.

>he spends his whole life only reading Proust.
>he spent three life sentences reading Finnegans Wake
>He can't learn calculus before becoming an expert in set theory
>He learned Greek in order to learn German
>He wanted to learn about the Civil War and ended up becoming an African historian

There is a comfy middle for me. Read too fast and all words become a blur and I gather nothing from the text; read too slow and I get easily distracted and I focus on all the wrong things. Besides, the real way you internalize what you read isn't dependent on how fast/slow you read but how many times you read it. Re-reading is the occupation of patricians.

>fourth rare poet

Uh, sorry sweatie, but Schneider himself can objectively prove that he is quite literally the Greatest Poet Of All Time

>he actually thinks Nietzsche ate food