Are there any health benefits to consuming meat, dairy, eggs, or other animal products...

Are there any health benefits to consuming meat, dairy, eggs, or other animal products? Seems like everything I can find on the topic points to them causing cancer and heart problems among many other horrible diseases while fruits, vegetables, beans nuts etc are beneficial and protective. Is it all vegan propaganda or what?

Other urls found in this thread:

hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/calcium-and-milk/
sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160801113654.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinogen
growingtallerguide.com/index.php/648/who-grows-taller-vegetarians-or-meat-eaters/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah. Calcium is one for dairy, while protein is a big one for meat and eggs.

OP, ignore the vegan propaganda and focus on how humans evolved to eat for literally hundreds of thousands of years. Mimic that diet.

(Pro tip: it was high fat, high protein, and low carb)

well there are several micronutrients that are difficult to obtain without animal product consumption, but its much less an issue in the age of supplements

i still dont think its the healthiest diet choice due its missing nutrients, but do remember than since vegetarian diets have become more popular, Veeky Forums has gone contrarian to the contrarians and essentially argue that your diet should be like 90% meat and since soyboy vegans dont like monsanto, you should look for animals raised as industrially as possible.

if your pancreas doesn't work, those are all great for not spiking your blood glucose, although if you don't eat any carbs with high fat/protein meals your liver will royally fuck your blood glucose anyway.

It's all relative to the individual

Pescatarian master race.

Protein, minerals, and amino acids. Lots of good stuff from meat. And it taste good

They were a lot more mobile back then though, not the sedentary lifestyle most people live now

nothing causes cancer. things can increase the likelihood of developing cancer.

humans havent been around for hundreds of thousands of years. within the last 10 thousand years we have developed the ability to digest lactose from milk and have created basically everything we eat now through artificial selection.

Hm. Religion-based disbelief of the age of our species, or not a science fan in general? Pretty sure the nerds' consensus is the Homo Sapiens is about 300,000 years old. We ate meat (things caught and hunted) including the animals' fat and all other things easily edible from foraging for 280,000 years.

nah, around 200k years, but nobody really knows because it's somewhat arbitrary. while 200k is technically is hundreds of thousands, that language implies like 500 or 800k years, or almost a million years, which simply isnt true. "hundreds of thousands of years" is disingenuous.

Ok, that's a little bit silly, whether the suspected age is closer to 200,000 or 300,000. Especially when it is an unknown number that lies roughly between the two. In the English language, I would say it's permissible to say hundreds of thousands without coming across as disingenuous. Besides, are you the dude replying to that post in the first place? If so, and you actually did know it was (two-ish) hundreds of thousands of years, why would you be knit-picking that point, rather than conceding to it as technically scientifically correct? I don't care at all about this thread or the points being made in it, but you, you are interesting to me.

> Calcium is one for dairy
hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/calcium-and-milk/
> while protein is a big one for meat and eggs.
sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160801113654.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinogen

consuming animal products is cucking yourself

discord
.gg/8Jrd4ab

lol. you have any proof apart from shit you pulled off the internet? I grew up a meat eater, then went vegan at 25. i grew to 6'3, have perfect head of hair still. i'm certain i wouldn't have grown any taller or have more hair if i'd grown up vegetarian.

Also remember for most of our evolution we didn't have written language so stop confusing your brain with stuff you are unaccustomed to and go hunt some meat for your tribe.

>do you have any proof other than scientific studies

KEK

just because it happens in rare cases, or increases the chance to do whatever, doesn't mean everyone should just stop doing a certain thing, and live in fear that said thing may happen. eff the studies. i'm the proof that your image is meaningless.

i doubt short people are blaming their height on meat eating. they have sense and realise that their genetics are the problem, or general poor nutrition.

cope

And I'm proof that smoking tobacco doesn't harm you, apart from a bit of bad breath.

growingtallerguide.com/index.php/648/who-grows-taller-vegetarians-or-meat-eaters/

lel

10/10 source

could you be more retarded

>vegetarians
>balanced diet
Pick one.

study literally says veg children are still taller when adjusting for other food groups

article is written by a manlet with downsyndrome

>Are there any health benefits to consuming meat, dairy, eggs, or other animal products?

As long as you eat them in moderation and incorporate them into a well-balanced healthy diet they can be beneficial toward including necessary vitamins, minerals, and various other nutritional substances with a far better availability then most other foods.

The nations with the highest meat and dairy consumption on average grow taller.

> Is it all vegan propaganda or what?

Yeah.(((They))) want you to be healthy and live a long life so you can keep making them money and remain a slave in the machine.

>trusting a jew

They want you to buy useless overpriced vegan supplements

I'm sure that has nothing to do with genetics

Do you understand genetics ?

In terms of populations the ones eating a heavily plant centered diet with a minimal intake of meat/fish/dairy did the best. With the extreme amount of contradictory science I'll stick to that, eat animal products as a treat occasionally and focus on a "vegan" diet otherwise.

Watch the documentary "Forks Over Knives". James Cameron recommended and it made me try veganism. Still at it 2 years later

It's very hard to get crippling deficiencies on a standard diet, that's the biggest benefit. You can be pretty retarded with your diet as long as it contains some meat and dairy and a lot of people are pretty retarded.

It might kill you in the long run, but at least it won't in the short run.

It's fairly likely that milk hormones make kids grow taller.

Now being tall isn't necessarily a good thing of course ... is something a manlet might say.

>i'm the proof that your image is meaningless.
didn't even see his image but please understand this:
well constructed studies draw conclustions about populations not about individual outcomes

Vegan here. I'll answer it honestly, but for an average person I genuinely can't think of any advantages of eating meat over being a vegetarian. This might differ for bodybuilders so I won't comment on that.

Compared to normal omnivore diet

>Vegetarian
Pros
Noticeably cheaper
Better digestion and get sick less often
Apparently live longer (fish+vegan apparently lives the longest)
Less likely to get fat

Cons
None

>Vegan
Pros:
The main I by far is at least for me it got rid of my acne. Milk apparently causes it
Again better digestion and get sick less often.
Live longer than vegetarians

Cons
The main disadvantage is that you will become a lanklet if you don't change your diet. This can be cheaply avoided by a few changes e.g. switch jam to peanut butter and eat lots of fatty foods (in my case this may have been made worse by the fact I'm 6'7"and do lots of cycling)
More expensive compared to vegetarian, still cheaper than meat

Pro tip: it was anarchic, no vaccinations, lots of raping, dead at 25

>every vegan i come across quotes the youtube channel NutritionFacts.org
>say fuck it and decide to take a look
>meat causes cancer
>check linked study
>correlation study using mcdonalds items

>im vegan but i like sushi
typical

Vegan here. I get perfect on cronometer every day. Notably, protein isn't even slightly an issue. Anyone who claims otherwise is bullshitting as it is very easy to get enough protein on a vegan diet.

The only big one is calcium. Calcium supplementation is not effective and I have found it difficult to get sufficient calcium from vegan foods (almonds and kale are my current sources).

If you want to be healthy, just check cronometer with your current diet. You'll probably find that going vegan fixes a lot of the problems, but you might want to keep some skimmed milk in there for calcium.

Bioavailability of most nutrients is higher in meat. The whole cancer thing is bullshit. Dietary cholesterol only matters if you have some kind of disease. It's most certainly propaganda. If you're interested try listening to Dom daugustino on his ketogenic diet. Also you can't get all micronutrients from plants. So vegans have to supplement, hardly sounds optimal.

>I have found it difficult to get sufficient calcium from vegan foods (almonds and kale are my current sources).
Cronometer by default uses the USDA recommendation of something like 1,200mg a day, which is higher than the rest of the world by a longshot, probably influenced by the dairy industry. The world health organization recommends 580mg, which is easy to hit.

Dr. Greger is a moron and a quack

>It's most certainly propaganda
>Here, listen to this keto podcast
kek

Sounds like fad diet bullshit
(so do most vegan doctors)

Even the lower level isn't actually that easy to hit. Remember, supplementation doesn't count, and most vegan calcium comes from fortified foods (bread, tofu, plant milk) which is really just supplementation. You have to be very careful when it comes to calcium.

Most new research is showing that excessive carbs are god awful for anyone that isn't a competitive athlete or bodybuilder.

If you have some veggies and beans in your diet, calcium shouldn't be hard at all.

Look up autophagy. Intermittent fasting and keto is crazy good for your body. Even if it's just a month or two out of the year.

What are these new studies and what do you define as excessive carbs? Too much oatmeal and strawberries is bad for people?

>supplementation doesn't count
What, why? Is it some forbidden thing that will kill you immediately? Eating specific foods you wouldn't eat otherwise to get some nutrients is basically supplementing too. You sound obsessed as fuck.

>here go listen to this one dude who makes a living off of promoting a diet for diet advice
Keto is shit.

The scientific studies into calcium supplementation have found they are not even close to as effective as dietary calcium, and present a vascular risk. This is because it gets absorbed in different quantities at different stages of digestion.

On phone so won't be linking study but they are all over the place. The higher the glycemic index the worse the food is for you. The diet entails staying under at least 50ish carbs. Body starts to produce ketones and burns fat as fuel (this happens when fasting too), autophagy kicks in. Carbohydrates are also the main source of inflammation in the body, inflammation being the best indicator of health. Should at least cut refined carbs out of diet. So far this diet is recommended by physicians to people who suffer from seizures as it dramatically lowers the frequency of them.

Do provide those please, never heard of that before. Also you really are obsessed holy Jesus, you know you don't need to 100% hit every single nutrient every day?

So baked potatoes are the devil right?

>Carbohydrates are also the main source of inflammation in the body
Bullshit. High fat meals literally spike blood fats which causes massive inflammation. There is nothing wrong with a 80% carb diet. Your entire post is just plain wrong, which keto guru are you worshipping?

>I won't be supporting the claim I just made
Oh great.
You're talking shit and lumping all carbohydrate containing foods together like sweet potatoes and skittles are equally bad and inflammatory and whatever else. That's fucking stupid and not supported by anything.

>muh potatos
if you had the comprehension to understand even a portion of my post you would understand that i spoke of glycemic index, which do you think spikes sugar more? sweet potato or skittle? do i really have to spell this out for you two? anyways why the fixation of potato? they are pretty much empty calories?
>dietary fat raises blood fat
holy fuck are you retarded? i assume you mean cholesterol, but your liver is what does that, not your diet. if you guys wanna stay chubbyfat thats fine but ive done keto and i felt great.
>nothing wrong with 80% carb diet
>rates of diabetes keep climbing higher

>i spoke of glycemic index
A carrot has a higher GI than chocolate cake. GI isn't an indication of the healthiness of the food. Low GI foods can be terrible for you, relatively higher GI foods can be great for you.

And baked potatoes (and potatoes in general) have a huge GI, higher than white bread and basic sugar. Yet potatoes are an incredibly healthy food, you can survive on a potato only diet. That alone shows how your entire point is retarded, just like your follow up post. Yes I meant fat as in dietary fat.

Glycemic index is one factor out of many. You're stupid. Also I'm pretty fucking fit and slim.

>holy fuck are you retarded? i assume you mean cholesterol
Why would you assume that? You realize that ingested fat is absorbed and transported in the bloodstream, right?

McDougalers are almost as bad as ketoers

That one STARCH!!! doctor? Yeah any person who makes a living off of promoting a special diet is very likely full of shit. Doesn't change that potatoes are great. Just like ketotards are right about processed carbs being shit for you.

White potatoes are just alright. They don't have any particularly impressive disease-fighting features, and you certainly can't live solely on potatoes. That's something John McDougall always claims, by citing a study and then excluding data from it.

He does? I've read a bit on his site a year or so ago but don't even remember a lot, just that he hates salt. For that I remember 3 occasions of potato farmers protesting by eating only potatoes and one was a pretty good case, 50 days or so I think? Not entirely sure and even if that's wrong they're still perfectly fine despite having a massive GI which was the main point.. Also it's kinda weird to rank foods by disease fighting ability.

why are you samefagging like this lmao?
>carrot higher gi then chocolate cake
even if that was true, a carrot has nutrition value and youd probs have to eat a fucking pound of them to get 50 carbs so not much of an argument there
>again with the emtpy calorie potato, the only thing of value they have in decent quantity is vitamin a, and you can just have a single raw carrot, for less calories, carbs and greater nutrition. potatoes are not healthy, shit nutrients.
obviously transfats and an omega imbalance can cause inflammation but not nearly on t he scale of carbohydrates, fats are metabolized by the gut before they are thrown into the blood stream to carry nutrients around

Started posting that research that backs up your claims

>he finally goes for the samefag argument
Really ran out of shit to say hm? Also you realise there's a post timer right. Enjoy your extremely high trigycerides brainlet.

just go eat your baked potato man
>you are what you eat

Yes. But are there health benefits to being a flaming fucking faggot like OP?

since you really must be spoonfed
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

>Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients
>obese patients
AHAHAHAH I knew it.

This has nothing to do with your claims of carbs being terrible for you. It hardly even supports a keto diet
>morbidly obese people can lose weight on keto
That means oatmeal is toxic?

nice argument

its a low carb diet you mong lmao

Get up and go for a walk fattie, we're talking about diets for healthy people here and your diebetic ass needs some exercise.

Keto is for obese people who fucked themselves up so bad they can't lose weight any other way.

And? How does it support all the bullshit you claimed earlier?

ok samefag you can stick to your carbs and have a good day

I like yogurt too, qt.

Go to google scholar, search "calcium supplement vascular" and it's the first result.

The main health benefits come from the cholesterol (which you need in significant quantities) and the protein/nutrient density of animal products.
Good luck getting 160 grams a day of protein on a vegan diet without using pea/soy protein for example.

Hm very good studies but done on postmenopausal old women, not entirely sure if that's 100% applicable to mid 20 males. I mean I would never consider supplementing calcium anyway, I really like tofu so I'm very much set in that aspect. B12 and D are the only supplements I take.

>Good luck getting well above the recommended amount of protein without the following sources of protein

tofu does not naturally have calcium. If you get your calcium from tofu then you are getting it from calcium supplement.

The amount of protein that a sedentary person needs is very different from the amount of protein someone who is active can benefit from friendo

Yeah. If you have specific weight gain aims, and have set yourself the aim of 160g of protein a day, then you are probably going to be using protein shakes etc. anyway.

At which point it makes no sense to only rule out the vegan protein powders.

If you want more than the healthy level of protein for your particular body-mod efforts then just take the same chemicals all your heroes do.

That's a stupid equation. There's a massive difference between eating a food with a moderate amount of a nutrient and taking a pill consisting out of that nutrient.

Also tofu is made using nagiri, the calcium is literally in the production process and not just added. Tofu has also only been shown to have positive health effects so applying the calcium pills = bad studies to other foods is not viable.

Wat. You literally do not need any dietary cholesterol, your body produces as much as it needs.

The food does not have the nutrient though. You can see from the ingredients list on your tofu. It will say water, soy beans, calcium sulphate. This is why it is called "calcium set tofu." It is the same as the pill as it just uses the pill to firm up the tofu.

Higher protein levels are actually less necessary when gaining weight than they are when you're just trying to maintain weight/lose weight.
However my point was that if you want to get adequate levels of protein to get the most out of an active lifestyle (like say you're a collegiate athlete or you really like to play rugby) you practically must use isolates of either pea or soy protein if you want to avoid animal products.

160 grams of protein with animal products is fucking easy though. A pound of chicken breast has a good 120 grams, 4 eggs nets you 28 grams, 3 glasses of milk throughout the day nets 24 grams.

>easy
>a pound of chicken, 4 eggs, 3 glasses of milk, every day

Easier just to be vegan and use powders.

As a matter of fact no, it says soyabeans and coagulant: nagiri. Also again, you can't extrapolate a finding that way, science just doesn't work like that. If it had any significant impact the studies on tofu would have shown so. And even if we assume it would be as you're describing it doesn't even matter because the overall effect is still positive.

Are you actually avoiding tofu for that reason? That's ridiculous.

I'm not. I'm saying don't count it towards your calcium aims.

I know this is hard for you special snowflake, vegan, fatherless bastards to understand but not everyone cares to live to 80 years old. I’m going to eat my steak and wash it down with beer. I’ll welcome death like an old friend at the age of 60 and be fine with it

>trying to put a positive spin on being a failure

That's such an extrapolation though.

Oh and on a different note, I am very certain I remember reading a study about Japanese vegans and they had no calcium issues, unlike most others. Also I only find tofu getting described as a good source of calcium, maybe the digestion is completely different in that form, who knows. Maybe it's just the purity of supplements that's the problem.

you could well be correct. I'll need to look into this more.