Requests to friend that all literary work be destroyed posthumously

>Requests to friend that all literary work be destroyed posthumously

>Friend ignores his wishes and publishes his work anyways

Are we okay with this, ethically? Yes we received amazing material but do the wishes of the creator not matter?

>kafka
>implying there's anything of value in it anyway
But generally no.

art belongs to the people

Should've done it himself, the dumb Jew

I see a decent argument being made for a living creator, caring what a dead guy wanted is silly.

I agree, thought shouldn't this same line of thought apply to people who explicitly don't consent to donate their organs posthumously?

yes desu

>Requests to friend that all literary work be destroyed posthumously
>Friend ignores his wishes and publishes his work anyways

very kafkasque

This, his friend was just honoring his work

in principle, I agree with this, but what a dick move for his friend to pull.

I think it's ethically wrong. But if you want your writings destroyed that badly you should do it yourself.

he was just being a drama queen

Hell yeah. Though obviously it'd require more oversight, so we won't end up with doctors stopping bothering too early to get their hands on some fresh organs.

Yes, as a friend, he acted like a complete ass for sure, but it's a dick move without any harm for the victim.

This. All large inheritances should go to me.

necrophilia is ok too btw

>All large inheritances should go to me.
To the state, silly.

>necrophilia is ok too btw
Sure, why not.

Joe wasn’t of sound mind to make that call. Most artists are shitty judges of their own work anyway.

If that's even slightly unethical, Christopher Tolkien is going straight to the innermost circle of hell.

Has he defended himself?

In what context?

Max said Kafka knew he wouldn't destroy his work. K would probably think the situation is funny

What the dead want does not matter. I have no will because I literally do not care what happens to my things when they die. I have living kin, they will sort it.

Audibly kek'd

This.
I have a friend who's writings I really enjoy but he can be such a faggot about his work sometimes. If he ever bit it I'd be publishing his work and throwing the printed copies on his grave.

Watch it chrissy

He's dead, so he doesn't care I guess.

Kafka didn't want them destroyed because of some personal reason or moral principle, he just through they were too shitty for anyone to care.
Brod knew him well enough to act in his will. People love portrayig him as some pesky yet necessary friend but if Kafka didn'tr trust him he wouldn't have stuck with him for literal decades.

When you look at it nearly 100 years later I don't know who would ever think they should have destroyed his work.

It was as if the shame of it must outlive him.

Yes, yes it should.

very good point! let us collect all copies ever printed and burn them immediately

I have more of an issue with publishing private correspondence and diaries.

arse.. easy on the farts

This.
Tbqh publishing diaries is unethical, novels are nothing.