In honor of Spanish Civil War pt. 2 coming soon to theaters near you, what is your favorite OG Spanish Civil War lit

In honor of Spanish Civil War pt. 2 coming soon to theaters near you, what is your favorite OG Spanish Civil War lit

Other urls found in this thread:

nyrbclassics.tumblr.com/post/165975201777/catalan-independence1931
youtube.com/watch?v=MT8q6VAyTi8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why do people who never fought a battle feel the need to pose with weapons?

Its weak men who wish for hard times in order to prove themselves.
They believe that the hard times have already come and they are the strong men to bring us good times, but they are the very opposite of what they believe to be

Homage to Catalonia>
For Whom the Bell Tolls

but good times sound like weak times... why would a weak society ever be sought after?

yo te quiero infinito
oh my corazon

nyrbclassics.tumblr.com/post/165975201777/catalan-independence1931

No one is aiming for this stuff.
You misunderstand. It is the natural progression of things. It will happen whether you like it or not

So since I think this is going be the only thread on this topic, any one have some politically philosophical thoughts on the situation there.

Veeky Forums international brigade when?

Im conflicted
> Like the independence thing because I'm from the US (yeah I know, sounds silly and hypocritical)
> Yet I can't help but find the reasoning behind the split silly and a little mysterious

> On the one hand I think that any sort of event like this will help weaken the EU overall, which I am for
> and on the other hand, I'm not sure I would want to support the people in catalunya because of what they intend to do with their independence

> I'm disappointed that violence is looking like the go to answer
> yet I would most likely be on the side of the national military coming to reel everyone in.

> I want to travel Europe but will likely not due to escalating tensions
> I don't want to travel Europe because I have 2 perfectly good continents to explore right here where I am, but have many rising tensions as well.

I don't know what to feel or think

I'm still going to pamplona this summer goddamnit, my french qt is waiting for me

>> and on the other hand, I'm not sure I would want to support the people in catalunya because of what they intend to do with their independence
just what is that?

Just the whole wanting to join the EU as independent Catalunya and all the full on "refugees welcome"

Stuff similar to that

Hopefully the fighting stops by then

Here's a 1937 documentary about the war, written John Dos Passos and Ernest Hemingway, narrated by Orson Welles:

youtube.com/watch?v=MT8q6VAyTi8

Interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing user.

oh i can't believe i've never seen this before as i'm a huge orson welles

I liked Homage to Catalonia when I was younger. Not sure if I still would.

I have grown increasingly skeptical of democracy as I've grown older. I don't trust the wisdom of the masses and believe that any system of government which has to take the public view into account is doomed to fail. It supports demagogues and peddlers of fantasies.

To this end, I oppose any and all referendums. They're the worst sort of direct democracy.

Holy shit, that was the most American post of all time.

Where are you getting your information on Europe from?

She was given the gun by the photographer who staged the photo. It's a propaganda piece.

Marina Ginesta contributed far more to the cause than our average militiaman on the barricades.