Self-mummification aka Sokushinbutsu

It involved a strict diet called mokujikigyo (literally, "eating a tree"). The diet abstained from any cereals, and relied on pine needles, resins and seeds found in the mountains, which would eliminate all fat in the body. Increasing rates of fasting and meditation would lead to starvation. The monks would slowly reduce then stop liquid intake, thus dehydrating the body and shrinking all organs. The monks would die in a state of jhana (meditation) while chanting the nenbutsu (a mantra about Buddha), and their body would become naturally preserved as a mummy with skin and teeth intact without decay and without the need of any artificial preservatives.

These monks choose to embrace their own death and eat a diet tailored to raise them into enlightenment. Is this the ultimate transformation through food? Would you be willing to do the same when time comes?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokushinbutsu
youtube.com/watch?v=LKkVo02LD2A
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellified_man
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also, mods this is a serious thread. Please let us indulge in a cultural food discussion.

Most Westerners do something similar, only our dietary decisions cause our bodies to expand until they collapse under the sheer strain of existence.

Comfytown! Shriveling up in my own little iron doghouse, eating pine needles and slowly starving myself to death under the disillusionment of escaping the dualistic rat race desu.

Has this ever actually been confirmed to have happened? Sounds like a bit of a folk tale to me.

>"It is believed that many hundreds of monks tried, but only 24 such mummifications have been discovered to date."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokushinbutsu

youtube.com/watch?v=LKkVo02LD2A

How utterly bizarre. At first glance it sounded like one of those psuedo-orientalist legends, pretty strange to think people actually did that to themselves. Makes a hairshirt look like a cop out.

>to raise them into enlightenment.

No - they died having contributed nothing to humanity and nothing to themselves but self-indulging in a most masochistic practice believing it was bringing them enlightenment.

>hairshirt
Wtf is that?

See? THAT is what happens when people are not getting called out on their religious bullshit.

If you saw The Da Vinci Code, you'd know what it was.

them orientals ain't too bright are they?

A shirt, made out of hair.

>Why didn't they do something worthwhile like eating chicken tenders and posting pictures of a frog in a nazi uniform?
Dumb gooks.

hello r/asianmasculinity!

>Muh material contribution to society
Fuck off burjoa scum

Was meant for

>a serious thread
>asking Veeky Forums anons to kill themselves
This is a board about food and cooking not starvation

it's not suicide. The monks who do this are very old, and near the end of their lives anyway. It is a preparation that enables them to have the most dignified death possible and they do it through diet. Very food related. I am pretty curious of what types of resins and seeds they use.

Its literally suicide

And just when I thought self-immolation was foolish.

The bible tells us that we are to be made living and holy sacrifices to God. Suicide would be an unholy sacrifice, this is unchristian.

>christians

christianity is superior to buddhism in every aspect

I can't tell if you're joking or not

nice post, but we can argue if you want

Its late so id rather a single post explaining you're position on the matter

I already explained it, Christ wants you alive and well not suffering like these monkey asian niggers

I almost took you seriously for a bit there,
Silly me

Reminds me a little of mellified man

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellified_man

"This process differed from a simplebody donationbecause of the aspect ofself-sacrifice; themellificationprocess would ideally start before death. The donor would stop eating any food other than honey, going as far as to bathe in the substance. Shortly, his feces (and even his sweat, according to legend) would consist of honey. When this diet finally proved fatal, the donor's body would be placed in a stone coffin filled with honey.

After a century or so, the contents would have turned into a sort of confection reputedly capable of healing broken limbs and other ailments. This confection would then be sold in street markets as a hard to find item with a hefty price."

Interesting. I might get some... "pork" and try preserving it with honey or sugar to see what it's like.

Sure is a lot of COOKING in this thread.

better than yet another /sip/ thread, and I bet you don't complain on those

when beekeepers turn serial killers

I am a sipboy and I am also intellectually curious about the ritual death practices of Buddhist monks

I have some honey dick that will cure a cough

Self-denial is the most cancerous idea in the history of mankind.

Name even a single aspect that makes one religion superior to another.

Just Love the Lord my friend. Or else you are going to hell for a long time.

>not knowing about wakan tanka
i bet you never even heard a wambli gleska olowan in your life

Money.

lol?

Why didn't they just eat meat? Fucking entitled cunts.

>self-indulgence
FIFY

go bother a vegan thread

Sounds fucking stupid since even Buddha himself believed asceticism should only be a temporary stage of life, and most certainly not the final stage.

Are you going to use long pig?

Fine for you but not all of us believe in your old desert cult.

Christ is King of Kings, every knee will bend.

>a buddhist rite is unchristian
You might be onto something.

I thought this was great until
>sold in street markets as a hard to find item with a hefty price

you never know, some people seem to think you can be christian and another religion at the same time

It doesn't apply in this particular case I think but John 15:13 touches the subject at least somewhat.

good job taking bible verses out of context

Good job reading only half of a post that was only 18 words.
And the last half for some reason. Rare.

>yet another scheme for young men to convince themselves to drop out of society and commit suicide for a greater good

Sounds Jewish.

Doesn't apply to Buddhists. You gotta be open minded about other beliefs. Most of the world doesn't think like you.

Nah I like myself lol

They also drank literal poison to accomplish it.

Hearty kek

glad to be a christian then, and not brainwashed into cuck cult

christianity is the cuck cult #1 right now tho

says the cuck

Dude just smoke weed, lmao.

>no u

>u